Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Curiosity On Mars Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Cheers ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Now thats a postcard picture!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Truly astounding photo. Mars looks like a place, not a distant planet.*

* although I do notice that Martian sky is given a distinctly Earth like tint.

Quite a bit of metal fatigue showing on this wheel. Mid right, i think?
    1127ML0050220020501196E01_DXXX.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Theres worse pics than that floating around.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

shedweller wrote: »
    Quite a bit of metal fatigue showing on this wheel. Mid right, i think?
    1127ML0050220020501196E01_DXXX.jpg

The wheels on Curiosity do seem to be problematic. Spirit and Opportunity didn't have these holes in their wheels. Hopefully the planned 2020 Mars rover which will be based on Curiosity will have improved wheels.

A bit of drilling done yesterday. Is that a chip of metal gone from behind the tungsten insert, at the top?
    1137MR0050930000601614E01_DXXX-br2.jpg
    And two holes!
    1137ML0050910010501303E01_DXXX-br2.jpg
    Some funky shtuff going on here eh?
    CR0_498516043PRC_F0500676CCAM06136L1-br2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

sky news have a good article including a 12month in 2 minutes video of all footage of the rover on mars. http://news.sky.com/story/1632547/curiosity-rover-takes-new-selfie-from-mars

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Has anyone ever seen any good full colour views from the rovers that would be worth framing or making a poster of?

I've seen a few on the planetary society website. They may be watermarked or something. Google search for large images. You could get lucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 limerickgirl16

How many days has it been there now? Seriously so awesome...

August 6, 2012, 05:17:57 (1272 days)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curiosity_(rover)

Genie, it doesn't seem that long.....

Where were you when curiosity landed?

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

Getting close to 1300 days, and looks like it should be good for a while yet

And the next one should launch in 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Pftt, sure it's only a baby.

Opportunity Rover Mission duration
    Planned: 90 sols (92.5 days)
    Current: 4272 sols (4389 days) since landing

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Pftt, sure it's only a baby.

Opportunity Rover Mission duration
    Planned: 90 sols (92.5 days)
    Current: 4272 sols (4389 days) since landing

opportunity.png
    We all remember those famous first words spoken by an astronaut on the surface of Mars: "That's one small step fo- HOLY **** LOOK OUT IT'S GOT SOME KIND OF DRILL! Get back to the ... [unintelligible] ... [signal lost]"

This is a real tearjerker https://xkcd.com/695/

NASA's Curiosity Mars Rover at Namib Dune (360 Video)

This view of the downwind face of "Namib Dune" on Mars covers 360 degrees, including a portion of Mount Sharp on the horizon. (Note: If you are using Safari, try a different browser. YouTube's 360 player so far does not support Safari). The site is part of the dark-sand "Bagnold Dunes" field along the northwestern flank of Mount Sharp. Images taken from orbit indicate that dunes in the Bagnold field move as much as about 3 feet (1 meter) per Earth year.

The component images of this scene were taken on Dec. 18, 2015, by the Mast Camera (Mastcam) on NASA's Curiosity Mars rover during the 1,197th Martian day, or sol, of the rover's work on Mars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 limerickgirl16

NASA's Curiosity Mars Rover at Namib Dune (360 Video)

Wow...

nothing to see here:o:o

So the Rover has met it's match and it's called a 32 degree Incline.

Steep enough looking...

Wrong rover for this thread but I'm still glad you posted it. :D

Wrong rover for this thread but I'm still glad you posted it. :D

:eek::o, Oops!

I just assumed, their's never much about the other fella unless ya look for it. I never even noticed it in bit I quoted either!

I'll just leave this here!

NSFW

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

may need a detour to avoid some red streaks which might be water

http://www.nature.com/news/mars-contamination-fear-could-divert-curiosity-rover-1.20544?WT.mc_id=FBK_NatureNews
    Although scientists might love to investigate the streaks at close range, strict international rules prohibit Curiosity from touching any part of Mars that could host liquid water, to prevent contamination. But as the rover begins climbing the mountain Aeolis Mons next month, it will probably pass within a few kilometres of a dark streak that grew and shifted between February and July 2012 in ways suggestive of flowing water.

nature-curiosity-8-sept-2016-online.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,444 ✭✭✭irishgeo

how are they ever going to investigate the "water" if they cant go near it?

irishgeo wrote: »
    how are they ever going to investigate the "water" if they cant go near it?

I think the issue is that the rovers are not sufficiently sterilized and that any mission sent to investigate the water up close would need to be more rigorously treated.

The part that gets me is that Mars has an atmosphere which, however tenuous, is sufficient to kick up dust particles. Is it not already a concern that any contaminants on the the rovers could easily be blown into the water?

I think the issue is that the rovers are not sufficiently sterilized and that any mission sent to investigate the water would need to be more rigorously treated.
    I assumed (i know i know!) they would have been properly sterilised before launch. There was a big hoohaa over it anyway. So maybe they should sterilise the next one properly so ALL the science can be done!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Anyway loads of meteorites from Earth have already landed on Mars and 'contaminated' it over the last billions of years.

• Advertisement

Anyway loads of meteorites from Earth have already landed on Mars and 'contaminated' it over the last billions of years.
    And visa versa. Anything that could stand the deep vacuum of space and freeze drying could possibly survive the journey.

If we find microbes on Mars everyone's going to go nuts. "This proves everything"

But if the first sign of life on Mars is a Water Bear walking through the view of a microscope then a lot of people are just going to go :rolleyes:

Advertisement