Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Curiosity On Mars Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Absolutely BRILLIANT!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ThatDrGuy

Well done NASA fantastic ! Sometimes a great nation. So happy for them

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Classy, images so fast from so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

It's pretty damn incredible, so buzzed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Blowfish wrote: »
    heh, images already.
    "its a wheel!!!!!"

shedweller wrote: »
    "its a wheel!!!!!"
    On the surface with a horizon!!!!
    After living through exploration from Viking onward this is the fooking best. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Trine

That was fantastic :)

Relativity is a crazy thing. It was sitting safely there for 13 minutes before landing confirmed message hit home.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Now where are the alien biomechanical organism images? Or are Nasa going to cover them up again? :rolleyes:

Lol, family friendly stream, just hearing some profanities in the background. :D
    I take it the folks are excited. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭muskyj

that was nail biting but wow just wow! and those images so early ah man the lack of sleep was worth it, its gonna be some party in NASA tonight i'd say!

ThatDrGuy wrote: »
    Relativity is a crazy thing. It was sitting safely there for 13 minutes before landing confirmed message hit home.
    What I love is UTC v's ERT, "Earth Time" just seems so Star Trecky.

I cannot believe that crazy plan actually worked!
    Absolutely magnificent.......science works!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cereberus

hard to believe it all worked, great bit of engineering.
    imagine, he's sitting up there wondering when he can start work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I'm glad I put the alarm on, can't wait for all sorts of info and data now...

Azl7LXOCUAAJT5z.jpg

Things like this make me glad to be alive. All the possibilities...

Well done all the staff at JPL.

Guy with beard just said that the US was the only country to ever send landers to another planet....didn't the Russians send one to Venus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

murrayp4 wrote: »
    Guy with beard just said that the US was the only country to ever send landers to another planet....didn't the Russians send one to Venus?

Yeah I noticed that one too. And the ESA dropped one on titan (but NASA did the heavy lifting on that one)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

You're probably thinking of the Venera probes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Odd alright. He might have meant wheeled landers although Russia did send lunokhod to the moon

Us monkeys are getting better and better at throwing things, that was the best shot yet. :D
    Now lets go for a drive, do some digging and get some good science done, find some life maybe??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

sink wrote: »
    You're probably thinking of the Verera probes. They measured the atmosphere of Venus but were crushed by the immense atmospheric pressure before they reached the surface.

No the Russians did land a few probes on Venus alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

shedweller wrote: »
    Odd alright. He might have meant wheeled landers although Russia did send lunokhod to the moon

The moon technically isn't a planet.

sink wrote: »
    You're probably thinking of the Venera probes. They measured the atmosphere of Venus but were crushed by the immense atmospheric pressure before they reached the surface.
    One landed and sent back a picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

dammit what the hell, I like to hear the data announcements, they're clapping in the background ffs !
    edit : that's going to annoy me if your one has to take over with platitudes, coffee time I think

LOL! Nasa websites are down due to unprecedented traffic. I'd say that's a great thing. :)
    What I love is UTC v's ERT, "Earth Time" just seems so Star Trecky.

I think one of the NASA guys read your post. :D

Jernal wrote: »
    LOL! Nasa websites are down due to unprecedented traffic. I'd say that's a great thing. :)
    yeah the NASA tv live feed is amazing. I have it on high def, no interruption. Their bandwidth must be awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Trine

Jernal wrote: »
    Azl7LXOCUAAJT5z.jpg

Great first pic, almost as if the rover took a picture of itself to say "I'm here".

Advertisement