Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heat Acclimatisation

• 13-06-2012 4:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭

I'm heading to Austria in two weeks time for the Ironman there on 1st July and I'm starting planning now on how to factor in some heat acclimatisation into my remaining sessions.

I figure I'm ok for time based on this type of general info - "This process, called acclimatization, involves internal adjustments, in response to the outside environment, which improve heat tolerance. This adaptation can be fully achieved after 10 to 14 days of exposure to heat, but two-thirds, or even 75 percent, of the adaptation takes place within five days"

However in terms of specifics has anyone got any recommendations re frequency and duration of sessions e.g. is it 1-2 hours daily of exercise in wintergear with heat on or something else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

RedB wrote: »
    I'm heading to Austria in two weeks time for the Ironman there on 1st July and I'm starting planning now on how to factor in some heat acclimatisation into my remaining sessions.

I figure I'm ok for time based on this type of general info - "This process, called acclimatization, involves internal adjustments, in response to the outside environment, which improve heat tolerance. This adaptation can be fully achieved after 10 to 14 days of exposure to heat, but two-thirds, or even 75 percent, of the adaptation takes place within five days"

However in terms of specifics has anyone got any recommendations re frequency and duration of sessions e.g. is it 1-2 hours daily of exercise in wintergear with heat on or something else?

I really must doing my "idiots guide to Austria"

Saunas, running in winter gear, riding (your bike unless partner is kinky) in winter gear. Swim in your wetsuit in the pool (the water in the lake in Klagenfurt is WARM), just watch the salts and the sweating.

Advertisement