Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

You are a skanger if

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

If you communicate by whistling. If you can have a conversation spanning two blocks without using a phone. If you call someone on the street by shouting "He-yor" .

You greet people with "Shtohri"

You enquire after peoples well being by asking " Are you AlREE?"

You say goodbye to people by saying "Selater bud!"

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

(double post)

The insecurity of some people is a little sad and more than a little boring at this stage. From my experience they don't concern themselves with you nearly half as much as you concern yourself with them which speaks volumes to me.

Just be glad you've had better opportunities 'roysh'.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭antonymous

syndeyfife wrote: »
    The funniest thing I ever heard was in a class in 6th year, few lads were talking about bum dropping a few deadlies at the weekend!!!

Deadlies or disco biscuits are names they used to call them

Also yip yaps was another one I remember,

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭KingK

Funglegunk wrote: »
    And how do these two groups carry on like skangers?
    Which groups? I assume you mean the ones from posher areas?

Here is how. Girls with fake tan and make up plastered on them in track suits with there 20 John Player Blue. Lads with bottoms tucked in to socks carrying bags of Dutch Gold or other cans of piss in to a field. Thats an example of the behaviour

Peetrik wrote: »
    The insecurity of some people is a little sad and more than a little boring at this stage. From my experience they don't concern themselves with you nearly half as much as you concern yourself with them which speaks volumes to me.

Just be glad you've had better opportunities 'roysh'.

I live in da mun and slag skangers Roish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

KingK wrote: »
    Which groups? I assume you mean the ones from posher areas?

Here is how. Girls with fake tan and make up plastered on them in track suits with there 20 John Player Blue. Lads with bottoms tucked in to socks carrying bags of Dutch Gold or other cans of piss in to a field. Thats an example of the behaviour

Why is Dutch Gold considered a bad drink? I like it. I've gone out of my way to get it before. Even my friends will see me walk in with a pack and be like "Would you not get proper drink?"

The mind boggles but that is probably a story for a different thread.
    The Dutch not the mind boggling.

If you hang around outside shops.

Nickname ending in o, micko, johno, dano, podgo, steo, anto (guilty, as charged), damo, tomo,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

Hands down the front of tracksuit bottoms

I love how some 'Holier than thou's' here pretend that Skangers don't exist and try to' tut tut' people for slagging them.

If a person cannot instinctively identify a skanger, then they probably are one.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭KingK

I know people who like it aswel,but it's a well known fact in Dublin it's considered the choice of piss for 'skangers' along with maybe Bavaria

KingK wrote: »
    I know people who like it aswel,but it's a well known fact in Dublin it's considered the choice of piss for 'skangers' along with maybe Bavaria

Dammit I like Bavaria as well. I like most things, except Guinness. And tequila.

antonymous wrote: »
    Surprised dutch gold hasn't been mentioned yet

They have it on tap in 'The Towers' in Ballymun - FACT! :D

Dammit I like Bavaria as well. I like most things, except Guinness. And tequila.

Na Bavaria is a crustys drink. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I love how some 'Holier than thou's' here pretend that Skangers don't exist and try to' tut tut' people for slagging them.

If a person cannot instinctively identify a skanger, then they probably are one.

I don't think anyone would deny that they exist.

The problem for me is that they attract a disproportionate amount of passionate hatred.

In my daily meanderings I encounter about 73 distinct subcultures, including skangers, that I actively and justifiably despise.

I don't get why so many people pick on skangers, and am led to speculate that for some people, the hatred is based on insecurity and snobbery.

They have it on tap in 'The Towers' in Ballymun - FACT! :D

You really can't go wrong then, its a fine drink, the price tastes better. Only other place I saw it on tap was years ago worked in Mosney in a pub we called the morgue, can't remember the actual name of the place, but dutch on tap, classy.

Na Bavaria is a crustys drink. :P

I must be a closet skanger. The horror. . . :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

You're ten years old and rolling yourself a smoke at the luas stop.

I mean what the hell??

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭johnROSS

25 cans of dutch gold a night, tuborg if yer feeling lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jonsoc33

u like to pick on c unts male or female...oh yes lovely people so pleasant kill all d c unts ...d final cuntdown!!

I mean what the hell??

That was a joint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

In my daily meanderings I encounter about 73 distinct subcultures, including skangers, that I actively and justifiably despise.

List and explain please.

The problem for me is that they attract a disproportionate amount of passionate hatred.

I don't get why so many people pick on skangers, and am led to speculate that for some people, the hatred is based on insecurity and snobbery.

In my case I have always lived in areas with large amounts of skanger culture, They cause a disproportionate amount of trouble and are usually all involved in crime, violence and drug dealing.

They ruin estates for the decent people that live there, they have a complete disregard for society and no respect for their neighbours.

Oh I wish you could spend a week living on my street, your attitude would change so so fast.

List and explain please.

You an English teacher by any chance? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

...any day the temperature is over 16.5° is too hot to wear a shirt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

antonymous wrote: »

I mean what the hell??

That was a joint.

That's what I thought when he started, but no just rolling tobacco!

It's fairly normal in the area I was in! I have to go through it everyday...

They feel that they are "Entitled to have a party" whenever they want, at any hour of the morning, regarldess of neighbours that have to go to work in the morning.

In my case I have always lived in areas with large amounts of skanger culture, They cause a disproportionate amount of trouble and are usually all involved in crime, violence and drug dealing.

They ruin estates for the decent people that live there, they have a complete disregard for society and no respect for their neighbours.

Oh I wish you could spend a week living on my street, your attitude would change so so fast.

Or in other words, poor people scare you and it makes you feel better to slag people less fortunate than you off from the safety of the interweb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭du Maurier

It's not either of those things. You know it isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

You an English teacher by any chance? :P

No, I'm actually a sociologist, and am conducting a survey of all subcultures currently identifiable in Irish socierty.

However, I would be grateful if Moo could save me the trouble.....:cool:

Or in other words, poor people scare you and it makes you feel better to slag people less fortunate than you off from the safety of the interweb.

Yes I am very fortunate and well off here in my flat in Ballymun.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

sure plenty of areas would be considered stereotypical skanger areas but you have plenty of wannabes in not so tough areas too. loads in places just outside dublin with mammys boys trying to act skanger....ashbourne, bray, leixlip/celbridge. then they go back to their 4 bed semi d.....real ghetto enanyways.

I feel sorry for all those poor people down in that kip Blackrock.

Going to college in DCU and 'slumming it' in a nice apartment in Ballymun does not give you any credibility.

What your indulging in is marginalisation of ordinary decent people due to, what I can only assume from your comments, was a sheltered and privileged upbringing.

Going to college in DCU and 'slumming it' in a nice apartment in Ballymun does not give you any credibility.

What your indulging in is marginalisation of ordinary decent people due to, what I can only assume from your comments, was a sheltered and privileged upbringing.

I dont go to DCU. I dont go to any University, I'm on the dole and self studying for IT certs. I grew up in Darndale/Belcamp and now live in Ballymun. Does that sound sheltered or privileged to you?

Looks like you're the one passing unfounded judgement here .

I don't think my attitude would change. I hate anti-social behaviour and I hate people who engage in it, regardless of their background.

What I find unpleasant is how on this forum they get so much more abuse than any other group, especially when they don't affect the lives of many people directly and in the cases of the majority of posters (not all), the complaining is coming from a socially superior position. When so many people complain about people without the advantages they have who don't affect their lives in any meaningful way, I can't help but think that snobbery and insecurity are motivations in at least some of those cases.

There's nothing wrong with disliking skangers; it's the disproportionate focus on them that rubs me the wrong way.

I grew up on a council estate and have had immediate family members with serious drug problems, by the way.
    List and explain please.

I'll give you some highlights:

67: Wives of local DJ's who ask "Do you know who I am!?" when they can't get the stationery they want.

54: Cinema cashiers withholding 10c coins.

34: Old people who continue to talk to you about incredibly boring subjects but are too nice to be rude to.

14: Insecure Desk Jockeys at the Starbuck's in the IFSC in the morning having pissing contests with each other by paying with cards for one coffee and getting the most foreign-sounding coffee in the largest cup size.

09: Unfunny people who insist on telling jokes.

20: Cyclists who don't follow the rules of the road and make me look bad.

18: People who urinate in public.

41: Insecure motorists who try to race me when I'm cycling.

55: People older than ten who use skateboards.

71: BMW drivers.

67: Men who take off their shirts in public once a little sun comes out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I feel sorry for all those poor people down in that kip Blackrock.

Do you realize there is a difference between people from disadvantaged backgrounds and skangers?

One is pot luck, the other is a lifestyle choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I don't think my attitude would change. I hate anti-social behaviour and I hate people who engage in it, regardless of their background.

What I find unpleasant is how on this forum they get so much more abuse than any other group, especially when they don't affect the lives of many people directly and in the cases of the majority of posters (not all), the complaining is coming from a socially superior position. When so many people complain about people without the advantages they have who don't affect their lives in any meaningful way, I can't help but think that snobbery and insecurity are motivations in at least some of those cases.

There's nothing wrong with disliking skangers; it's the disproportionate focus on them that rubs me the wrong way.

I grew up on a council estate and have had immediate family members with serious drug problems, by the way.
    List and explain please.

I'll give you some highlights:

67: Wives of local DJ's who ask "Do you know who I am!?" when they can't get the stationery they want.

54: Cinema cashiers withholding 10c coins.

34: Old people who continue to talk to you about incredibly boring subjects but are too nice to be rude to.

14: Insecure Desk Jockeys at the Starbuck's in the IFSC in the morning having pissing contests with each other by paying with cards for one coffee and getting the most foreign-sounding coffee in the largest cup size.

09: Unfunny people who insist on telling jokes.

20: Cyclists who don't follow the rules of the road and make me look bad.

18: People who urinate in public.

41: Insecure motorists who try to race me when I'm cycling.

55: People older than ten who use skateboards.

71: BMW drivers.

67: Men who take off their shirts in public once a little sun comes out.

You're like me. I think nearly everyone is a cúnt

if, as a female, you can fit your fist through your hoop earrings.

• Advertisement

I dont go to DCU. I dont go to any University, I'm on the dole and self studying for IT certs. I grew up in Darndale/Belcamp and now live in Ballymun. Does that sound sheltered or privileged to you?

Looks like you're the one passing unfounded judgement here .

Ok, I was wrong in that case.

However I still dislike the glee with which people jump on the bandwagon of pigeonholing people because they wear a tracksuit or drink Dutch Gold.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

1: Tallaght, Inchicore, Clondalkin.
    2: Clontarf, Malahide, Raheny

:cool:

i was taking the piss with that one but if you must -

1: Donnybrook, Ballinteer, Dundrum, Churchtown, Blackrock, Mount Merrion, Sandyford, Rathfarnham, Foxrock, Lepardstown, Rathgar.

2: Finglas, Ballymun, Darndale, Coolock, Artane, DUNSINK LANE:eek:, Kilmore, Kilbarrack, ANY inner city area north of the Liffey

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

You like to pump out the tuuuuuuunnnnnnnes kid!!!

This is roughly the same answer I put in the last thread.

EDIT: You cut into the lining of your tracksuit so that you can shoplift more stuff.

Listening to dance music doesnt make you a 'skanger'. Ever dance in a night club??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I remember when i lived in Coolock about 12 years ago the young lads used to wear adidas or nike tracksuit bottoms with pringle jumpers on top, ya know smart/casual!
    Saying that i lived and worked in Coolock for about 4 years and never had a days trouble and met alot of nice people.

No, I'm actually a sociologist, and am conducting a survey of all subcultures currently identifiable in Irish socierty.

However, I would be grateful if Moo could save me the trouble.....:cool:

A sociologist eh?
    Fascinating.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

this one makes no sense. it's easier and safer to pay with plastic than it is carry cash around, and if you pay off when your statement arrives it costs nothing extra (depending on your card you might even make some money on it). and why would anyone try to outdo each other when it comes to starbucks? it's not an image or status thing, anyone can walk in and buy what they want. some people just happen to like drinks with stupid names available there

for example, im partial to the mocha cookie crumble frappuccino, because it's bloody yummy

• Advertisement

What I find unpleasant is how on this forum they get so much more abuse than any other group, especially when they don't affect the lives of many people directly and in the cases of the majority of posters (not all), the complaining is coming from a socially superior position.

Your really think most of the people on this forum are well off?

I guarantee you most of us live in council estates and have real issues with skangers.

As a lot of people have said, Being a Skanger is a lifestyle choice and not a socio-economic class.

Growing up in Belcamp I can say that about 20% of the area were real skangers. They totally ruined the area for the other 80%.

Helix wrote: »
    this one makes no sense. it's easier and safer to pay with plastic than it is carry cash around, and if you pay off when your statement arrives it costs nothing extra (depending on your card you might even make some money on it). and why would anyone try to outdo each other when it comes to starbucks? it's not an image or status thing, anyone can walk in and buy what they want. some people just happen to like drinks with stupid names available there

for example, im partial to the mocha cookie crumble frappuccino, because it's bloody yummy

It's also often more expensive to pay with cards, especially in places with a mimimum spend limit on cards, but I don't know if Starbuck's have such a limit.

They might all happen to like the biggest size of fancy coffees, but the complete lack of lattés (without at least two adjectives) or Americanos, the insecure glances at each other and conscious attempts to affect a commanding delivery when asking for their coffee suggests that that's not the case for all of them.

Syllabus wrote: »
    i was taking the piss with that one but if you must -

1: Donnybrook, Ballinteer, Dundrum, Churchtown, Blackrock, Mount Merrion, Sandyford, Rathfarnham, Foxrock, Lepardstown, Rathgar.

2: Finglas, Ballymun, Darndale, Coolock, Artane, DUNSINK LANE:eek:, Kilmore, Kilbarrack, ANY inner city area north of the Liffey

:D

AH now you cant include Donnybrook sure that place is full of scumbags :D Any group of people who can create fair city are just evil IMO.

hardCopy wrote: »
    Do you realize there is a difference between people from disadvantaged backgrounds and skangers?

Do I realise?!? Its exactly what I've been saying...

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m517zc7gM21rqc9vo.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Do I realise?!? Its exactly what I've been saying...

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m517zc7gM21rqc9vo.png

Then why infer that skangers are underprivileged?

• Advertisement
Advertisement