Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

You are a skanger if

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Your really think most of the people on this forum are well off?

I guarantee you most of us live in council estates and have real issues with skangers.

As a lot of people have said, Being a Skanger is a lifestyle choice and not a socio-economic class.

Growing up in Belcamp I can say that about 20% of the area were real skangers. They totally ruined the area for the other 80%.

I don't. I assume most people are middle to lower-middle class, with some above and below that. It doesn't take a lot to be better off than what most people here identify as skangers.

My definition of a skanger or scumbag is similar to yours: anyone who engages in aggressive anti-social behaviour regardless of social standing.

But the problem I have is that so many posts fixate not on the behaviour but outward signs which are generally signs of social class, such as clothes, accessories etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

grindle wrote: »
    Then why infer that skangers are underprivileged?

Because, exactly as King of Moo has just pointed out, people have been listing outward signs of social class as identifying factors of 'skangers' not things like "paying off banker debts from the public pocket", or "raping pensioners".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Peetrik wrote: »
    Because, exactly as King of Moo has just pointed out, people have been listing outward signs of social class as identifying factors of 'skangers' not things like "paying off banker debts from the public pocket", or "raping pensioners".

I wouldn't see them as signs of social class myself. Most teens dress like skangers in some way, but I don't think they're a skanger 'til they act like one.
    Walks like a gowl, talks like a gowl, behaves like a gowl... Is a gowl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

I think whats happening here is that some people are having a bit of fun slagging off the stereotypical tracksuit chavy types whilst others are actually talking about our criminal class.

I think the confusion comes from the fact the these two groups so often overlap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

NinjaK wrote: »
    Listening to dance music doesnt make you a 'skanger'. Ever dance in a night club??

Did I say Dance music? No. Tunes is the slang term for music, generally, though it does tend to get used for dance music, more often then not.
    I would have to refer to an urban dictionary.

Yes I have danced in a nightclub, though not that much, I don't see how that has any relevance to what I said.
    If you're going to read between the lines I cannot be held responsible for what you take out of it.

I also like Dutch Gold, would you like to comment on that as well?

EDIT: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tunes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

OP get out of your basement you snob. Nearly 5k posts in 7months.

I sense a thread closure coming on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

But the problem I have is that so many posts fixate not on the behaviour but outward signs which are generally signs of social class, such as clothes, accessories etc.

I normally agree with most of your posts but:

Dress like a scroate, walk like a scroate, talk like a scroate? 999 / 1000 you are a scroate. Is it unfair to judge people from their appearance and accents? Sure it is but I'm not gonna change my ways just in case one out of every thousand 'aparent' scroates I may happen to meet is actually a decent person.

I also drive a BMW. ;)

I sense a thread closure coming on.

Nobody's called anyone a fucking idiot, or changed the thread subject to religion yet, so we're a while away from closure, for now, surely?
    Feckin' skangers and their religious ways.

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I normally agree with most of your posts but:

Dress like a scroate, walk like a scroate, talk like a scroate? 999 / 1000 you are a scroate. Is it unfair to judge people from their appearance and accents? Sure it is but I'm not gonna change my ways just in case one out of every thousand 'aparent' scroates I may happen to meet is actually a decent person.

I also drive a BMW. ;)

Well now I think the number might be higher than 1/1000. I do understand that people have prejudiced, instinctive reactions: we all do.

What bugs me is that there are far more posts of people's judgements of people of skangers than, for example, people who appear to be stereotypical BMW drivers (I don't mind you driving a BMW as long as you indicate properly :)).

I do understand why people have negative reactions to someone who drinks Dutch Gold and tucks his tracksuit pants into his white socks. But I don't understand why there's such a huge level of interest in such people on this forum, and why so many people don't seem to question these initial judgements, even a little.

• Advertisement

But I don't understand why there's such a huge level of interest in such people on this forum, and why so many people don't seem to question these initial judgements, even a little.

Perhaps the people who don't like them have been gifted with abuse from them?

Yes and the Skangers arent exactly the reading or writing type so you won't find many of them here to defend themselves.

Of course we can always rely on some philanthropist from the south East to try and set everything Roish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Shryke wrote: »
    It would be great if we could all be as well off.
    There's a real ugly side to this kind of thread and you don't have to look too deeply to see it.
    It's nothing to do with being well off. My mother's family were dirt poor but their mother hammered home the importance of education. She wasn't educated herself, mind - and she wasn't a skanger either.

Perhaps the people who don't like them have been gifted with abuse from them?

Maybe, it's quite possible in fairness, though not many people have mentioned such in this thread (not that other threads aren't wanting for such stories, I admit).

But again, I've suffered negative encounters with people from all walks of life. Lippy teenagers, especially the ones with the cheek to be skateboarders, regular-brand teenagers shouting things at me, haughty middle-aged female customers, confused language students, middle-class students, drivers from all walks of life (I'm trying to overcome my prejudice against BMW and Mercedes drivers :)) trying to kill me and so on...

So I don't get why the skangers always get singled out.

Though thinking about the ease with which I composed that brief selection, maybe these encounters say more about me... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Shryke wrote: »
    You're a dickhead if... you like to make fun of people from a lower class background.

I'm from a lower class background but do not act like these skangers. My parents did everything that they could to help my sister and I. I went to college, got my degree and got a good job. My sister works really hard and has travelled the world. Being from a lower working class background is no excuse for being a skanger

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

If you went to an I.T instead of a university:p

Though thinking about the ease with which I composed that brief selection, maybe these encounters say more about me... :(

You do have a list at hand.

Put. The list. Down.

Now, think of 73 nice kinds of people...

HAHAHAHA, it was a trick!

Can't be done!

Well now I think the number might be higher than 1/1000. I do understand that people have prejudiced, instinctive reactions: we all do.

What bugs me is that there are far more posts of people's judgements of people of skangers than, for example, people who appear to be stereotypical BMW drivers (I don't mind you driving a BMW as long as you indicate properly :)).

I do understand why people have negative reactions to someone who drinks Dutch Gold and tucks his tracksuit pants into his white socks. But I don't understand why there's such a huge level of interest in such people on this forum, and why so many people don't seem to question these initial judgements, even a little.

I understand what you're saying and similarly there's an awful lot of hatred towards itinerants here too but those threads tend to get locked fairly sharpish. Personally I would trust an itinerant more than any scroate. Scroates are scroates but itinerants have their own code of morals - a lot of scroates don't have any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Plently of skanger threads but how about we nail down some definitions

Last thread for that was three years ago
    So I'm not cluttering up AH here
    I did search before you groan not another skanger thread :)

So tell us, how do we recognize a skanger?

• Your tracksuit is some cheap counterfeit but your runners cost over 100 euro
    • In the evening time you roar at your children to cooooome in for yar taaaaaaay. Jaaaaaacinta will often be used too
    • You have "going out" pyjamas but even though you look like a slob you still wear makeup going to the Spar shop

Any more?

Your name must have three syllables .. that can be extended

MIIIIKEMAAACONNNE

• Advertisement

You do have a list at hand.

Put. The list. Down.

Now, think of 73 nice kinds of people...

HAHAHAHA, it was a trick!

Can't be done!

1. Me.

2. Anyone who thanks any of my posts that I spent more than two minutes writing.

3. People who give their car park tickets to people entering the car park when they're leaving.

4. Eh, Jesus...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭Duffman K

Peetrik wrote: »
    drink Dutch Gold.

Dutch Gold isn't that bad,
    . .. just sayin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Look, its a bit of banter. Dont cream your knickers over it ladies.

Rules of banter, dont give it if you cant take it....

Funny...where have I heard that rule before??

syndeyfife wrote: »
    Funny...where have I heard that rule before??
    Nuremberg trials?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

What the hell is a scroate?

4. Eh, Jesus...?

Eh, Jesus what? Finish your sentences. :D

1. Me.
    "What's that fella like?"

"Ah, y'know... he's a real The King of Moo type-of-guy. He's very The King of Moo-y."

Breed fast enough and you can have your own racial culture.
    What the hell is a scroate?
    A ball-bag of a human.

• Advertisement

"Ah, y'know... he's a real The King of Moo type-of-guy. He's very The King of Moo-y."

A ball-bag of a human.

Theres a gang of Mooeys now outside sitting on my wall, drinkin cans of stella and making tut tut noises.

They seem to be condescending the whole area.:D

skateboarders

Skateboarders?

Ah now come on - skateboarders tend to be pretty cool dudes in all fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I like how you think wearing a real name brand tracksuit is classier than wearing a fake one.

I must be a skanger. Years ago while on holiday in Cyprus I needed an extra couple of t-shirts so bought two knock off Puma ones in a market. I steered clear of the 'Adiads' t-shirts though. I regret not buying them now as they were so fake they were funny.

I'm not entirely sure what a skanger is as I'm not from Dublin and never hear that word here. I suppose it would be a male in his late teens/early twenties who has just gotten his driving licence and thinks he's great so goes speeding around beeping at every remotely attractive female he sees and shouting abuse at everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭tommyombomb

skateboarders

Skateboarders?

This is a topic that needs to be tackled another day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

du Maurier wrote: »
    Hands down the front of tracksuit bottoms
    Does anyone know the resason they do this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I'm not sure what a skanger is exactly. But it's probably something that's more in the jaundiced eye of the beholder than anything else. I just hope it isn't as bad as the kind of pass-remarkable judgemental narrow-minded cnut that likes branding people and placing them in arbitrarily defined categories.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the resason they do this?

Making sure it cant father anymore babies....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the reason they do this?

:confused: Don't know but seen cristiano ronaldo doing it tonight :confused: The skanger ;)

Skateboarders?

If they're proper professional types who take it seriously and have some good skills then I'd respect them for it.

It's the fifteen year olds shambling around Eyre Square unable to execute anything remotely resembling a trick except falling right in front of me at speed that I hate. And unfortunately they're the only ones I ever see :).

Unfortunately I don't think the world's quite ready for that yet.

That being said, I'll have a lash at the old breeding anyway.

I don't know why there is so much confusion as to why skangers are often the but of the joke on here IMO there are two reasons
    Makes people feel superior
    They would never point out their observations to a real life skanger for fear of getting their head kicked in

Anyone of us could be categorised as a stereotype .
    I would like to see a thread as to why students suck haha

I don't know why there is so much confusion as to why skangers are often the but of the joke on here IMO there are two reasons
    Makes people feel superior
    They would never point out their observations to a real life skanger for fear of getting their head kicked in

Anyone of us could be categorised as a stereotype .
    I would like to see a thread as to why students suck haha

Don't worry: I'll be starting 73 threads soon and that'll be one of them.

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    I'm not sure what a skanger is exactly. But it's probably something that's more in the jaundiced eye of the beholder than anything else. I just hope it isn't as bad as the kind of pass-remarkable judgemental narrow-minded cnut that likes branding people and placing them in arbitrarily defined categories.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Uh oh, the PC police are here...

BS I've had to give many a skanger a good kickin in my time. Most Skangers are wimps, thats why they are always shaping and acting the hardman.

Most of them are skinny little runts, the hardest part is catching the buggers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Cigarette in the ear
    Have a tattoo saying "Only god can judge me"
    "shoore the governments arent doin anything"
    Votes Sinn Fein or the ULA
    Rents a limo to go to a Nightclub for a birthday celebration
    Has pictures taken outside of said limo
    Limo for a wedding
    Chooses to Sit at the back of the bus upstairs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Cigarette in the ear
    Have a tattoo saying "Only god can judge me"
    "shoore the governments arent doin anything"
    Votes Sinn Fein or the ULA
    Rents a limo to go to a Nightclub for a birthday celebration
    Has pictures taken outside of said limo
    Limo for a wedding
    Chooses to Sit at the back of the bus upstairs

Damn you was going to say that about the tattoo. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Corkgirl1234

the rihanna red hair on girls, knuckledusters, the adidas tracksuits tucked into white socks, they walk out in front of moving cars when everyone else is waiting for the green man to cross the road at traffic lights,...
    these people really frighten me, they're rude,offensive, and an embarrasment to this country.
    whats really funny is i went away on holidays to a different country a while back and noticed NONE of these trackie people with the white socks.like what are they thinking?they're just horrible nasty things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

The people in this thread for the most part are a shower of pricks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

If you communicate by whistling. If you can have a conversation spanning two blocks without using a phone. If you call someone on the street by shouting "He-yor" .

You greet people with "Shtohri"

You enquire after peoples well being by asking " Are you AlREE?"

You say goodbye to people by saying "Selater bud!"

:P

Don't think "shtohri" is a skanger thing, it seems to be used a lot since hardy bucks aired on rte.

You know that your king of the skangers when your barred from the dole office for fighting. If your a skanger and your name is William you must be referred to as "willm" and everyone has to be given a bad nick name

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Mr.Triffid

You carry the Sun Newspaper under yer arm with a cigarette
    tucked behind your ear.

• Site Banned Posts: 385 ✭✭pontia

where are you from cisco student ? u ever been in inchicore ?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Mr.Triffid

No this is nonsense. I know people from "lower class backgrounds" and they are not skangers, I also know people from "really good backgrounds" that are.

It's a frame of mind and an attitude, not a class or money thing.

EDIT: Just saw the above post, oh well. Those agile pandas win again.

Most of them are from council estates though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

BS I've had to give many a skanger a good kickin in my time. Most Skangers are wimps, thats why they are always shaping and acting the hardman.

Most of them are skinny little runts, the hardest part is catching the buggers.

Nobody that calls people "buggers" has ever given somebody a hiding, don't lie to yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

let the snobbery begin.....................

Give it a rest. It's nothing to do with snobbery. Some of us have standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭oxo_

1. Rarely walk anywhere on their own or without their mates for fear of getting their heads kicked in by rival skangers or people they've pissed off.

2. Sing "let's go fúcking mental" after 2 beers then kick over bins, throw bottles at CCTV and kick wing mirrors off cars.

3. Walk around the streets with plastic bags full of bottles/cans. The more refined skanger will carry their drink around with them in a backpack, easier to run away from the Garda.

4. Randomly kick placename signs of newly developed areas they pass through if they sound too posh for their general area. Anything with grove, crescent or even woods seems fair game.

5. Punch, kick or piss on flowers in peoples gardens, "who de fúk you think you are growing flowers around here".

6. Join local GAA clubs but never train or play, just drink their dole away in the GAA bar and buy bottles of metrosexual "light" beer for the way home, which also double as great grenades when empty.

7. After joining the local GAA, they can now also walk around in gangs armed with hurleys and the Garda can't do anything to them now cos "we're just practicing the skills" - at 3am.

8. Most of their gang look like each other because unbeknown to them, they all have the same father, just different mothers.

9. Never ever buy cigarettes themselves.
    "Ye got a smoke mate/buddy/pal/mister?"

10. Most of their parents are only 13 years older than them. Actually, some of their parents still hang around in their gang.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Tulipout

If you drink tap water! shame on you. Or heaven forbid, you know the meaning of youth reach.

Advertisement