Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

You are a skanger if

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

Anyone who chooses to make others feel uncomfortable and threatened by their apperance or behavior is a skanger.

Pajama to the shops is just unbelievably slovenly. However, i have to say, that at this stage, tracksuits outside sporting arenas a
    re unacceptable as they are now a tribal thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

You know it when you live in an area with a faint "schweeeeeeeee........" as a faint general background noise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

I like ridin' posh birds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

This thread has exposed just how narrow minded and snobbish alot of people are.

''Skangers'' as most of you like to call us,we dont go on about yous at all....while it seems to be the subject of choice on here every few weeks!

why is that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

''Skangers'' as most of you like to call us,we dont go on about yous at all....while it seems to be the subject of choice on here every few weeks!

why is that?
    If you can write coherently, and use a computer, you are not a skanger. You're not fooling anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

There needs to be a clarification between actual skangers and wannabe skangers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

why is that?

Because normal people don't wear Pj's out on the street or live in tracksuits and wear cheap argos chains, take their top off when it's over 10 degrees. Travel in packs like animals etc...

antodeco wrote: »
    There needs to be a clarification between actual skangers and wannabe skangers
    Good point. And then we need to tie down the wannabes and probe them to find out what went wrong in their brains.

live in tracksuits

Absolutely nothing wrong with always wearing tracksuits! If you go around in jeans, does that make you a cowboy?

Absolutely nothing wrong with always wearing tracksuits! If you go around in jeans, does that make you a cowboy?
    Nothing wrong with it, but it looks terrible. Nothing wrong with very fat women wearing skinny jeans either.

• Advertisement

going by your username and location i'll presume you are "one of them"...that was easy...:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

One tell-tale sign of "lower class" people, which isn't unique to Ireland, is in the way they treat public spaces. If you go to a park or the like, they are the ones who are littering or breaking things, they're arguing loudly, kids are screaming, and so on.

If you want to be seen as classy, treat public spaces with respect. Don't litter, don't damage things, and shut the hell up. The public domain is everyone's - it's not yours to pollute, not even for a little while. If you do it right, it will be like you were never there. ;)

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

going by your username and location i'll presume you are "one of them"...that was easy...:pac:

No no, I'm one of the intelligent ones who didn't squander my money during the 'Celtic tiger' and bought somewhere I couldn't afford just so I have a nice postcode. Instead I bought over here, with no mortgage and no debt. I'd rather be seen as a skanger than be evicted from my home from lack of money!

bnt wrote: »
    One tell-tale sign of "lower class" people, which isn't unique to Ireland, is in the way they treat public spaces. If you go to a park or the like, they are the ones who are littering or breaking things, they're arguing loudly, kids are screaming, and so on.

If you want to be seen as classy, treat public spaces with respect. Don't litter, don't damage things, and shut the hell up. The public domain is everyone's - it's not yours to pollute, not even for a little while. If you do it right, it will be like you were never there. ;)

There's a fine line between being a skanger and people just being ignorant dicks!

One tell-tale sign of "lower class" people
    One thing I'd like to get away from is this 'class' thing - I don't think it pertains to modern Ireland. You could be from Dolphin's Barn and grow up to be a brain surgeon if you work hard. I'm sure I don't need to say that people from low-income backgrounds can be the nicest folks you will ever meet, same as any other social group.

'Class' these days is something you choose by your aspirations and the goals you set for yourself. I have friends who have some siblings who are 'working class' and some who are 'middle class' - with the exact same upbringing and opportunities.

Hence, I think we need a new term when discussing this 'class' stuff, or recognise that 'class' is no longer something you are born into but something you choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Shryke wrote: »
    You're a dickhead if... you like to make fun of people from a lower class background.

Are you upper class?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Its not really about "Class" anymore, its more about attitude and demeanour now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

I normally find that those who warrant the description "classy", rarely look down on others!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

One thing I'd like to get away from is this 'class' thing - I don't think it pertains to modern Ireland.
    There's a reason why I put "lower class" in quotes. :p

I don't think it's bigotry to come down hard on Skangers, because Skanger is not a race or a culture. It's not who you are, it's what you do. Personally, I have more experience of Glasgow Neds and Essex Chavs than I do of Dublin Skangers, but it doesn't matter - it can happen anywhere. I even saw Skanger-ish types on my one trip to Denver. You can't change who you are, but you can change what you do. Stop doing Skanger things, you can stop being a Skanger ...

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

let the snobbery begin.....................

not sure if this is snobbery or mocking folks who are bone lazy. one of the reasons they wear a tracksuit is cos you do not need to iron it. there was a time when working class folk dressed up for something like mass.

• Advertisement

Mr Magners wrote: »
    Trackie bottoms mentioned above tucked in to dirty white socks

but not cantos with a pair of dubes?

Shryke wrote: »
    You're a dickhead if... you like to make fun of people from a lower class background.

sometimes they draw it upon themselves. i had to work with them and they had a constant scowl on their face.

Yes I mock their fashsion sense just like I mock Trent and Tiernan from the Southside who fulfill all the cliches. perhaps another thread here could be- you are a posh southsider if you: are into your rugby
    wear your collar up
    speak like a hooray henry
    went to a fee paying school
    was never north of the liffey, save to go to the airport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

whats really funny is i went away on holidays to a different country a while back and noticed NONE of these trackie people with the white socks.like what are they thinking?they're just horrible nasty things

I had a Scottish friend that told me this look was really popular in Glasgow/Edinburgh before it was ever done here. We reckoned it was because of the cold since 'Track'suits are designed for exercising in and not very practical for day to day wear in a cold climate. Tucking them in your socks keeps the draught out.

Fuinseog wrote: »
    was never north of the liffey, save to go to the airport
    Why don't they build another airport in, like, Leopardstown or somewhere. The planes that go to Ibiza and Spain and whatever could still land in the Northside.

Truley wrote: »
    I had a Scottish friend that told me this look was really popular in Glasgow/Edinburgh before it was ever done here. We reckoned it was because of the cold since 'Track'suits are designed for exercising in and not very practical for day to day wear in a cold climate. Tucking them in your socks keeps the draught out.

tracksuits are practical cos these literally run everywhere. you do see them running to the shops.

you never see them wear a coat.

whats with the pidgeon walk?

Why don't they build another airport in, like, Leopardstown or somewhere. The planes that go to Ibiza and Spain and whatever could still land in the Northside.

I am sure that has been discussed by several residents associations.
    KISS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Fuinseog wrote: »
    but not cantos with a pair of dubes?

Equally awful, but probably for another thread.

And I thought of another one, if 100 metres is close enough to have an intimate conversation with someone on a crowded street.

hardCopy wrote: »
    Equally awful, but probably for another thread.

And I thought of another one, if 100 metres is close enough to have an intimate conversation with someone on a crowded street.

what is the complete opposite of a skanger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Their the people who your all afraid of! The reason you sit on the lower deck of the bus. Some are entrepreneurs who you probably get your drugs off. And in a weird way you admire them cause they don't really give a fuk about societies rules and norms unlike you!

• Advertisement

Their the people who your all afraid of! The reason you sit on the lower deck of the bus. Some are entrepreneurs who you probably get your drugs off. And in a weird way you admire them cause they don't really give a fuk about societies rules and norms unlike you!
    The same way that you might admire a serial killer for the same reasons?

are you drunk or something? admire them???...if you admire them you are as patethic as them...i've heard it all now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

One thing I'd like to get away from is this 'class' thing - I don't think it pertains to modern Ireland. You could be from Dolphin's Barn and grow up to be a brain surgeon if you work hard. I'm sure I don't need to say that people from low-income backgrounds can be the nicest folks you will ever meet, same as any other social group.

'Class' these days is something you choose by your aspirations and the goals you set for yourself. I have friends who have some siblings who are 'working class' and some who are 'middle class' - with the exact same upbringing and opportunities.

Hence, I think we need a new term when discussing this 'class' stuff, or recognise that 'class' is no longer something you are born into but something you choose.

If only everyone had equal choice. Of course it sounds nice to say that wherever you are born and whatever your circumstances, you can still achieve anything if you work hard enough. It's very comforting in its simplicity to apply the same potentiality to every individual, ranking with the same measuring stick.

Truth is that life isn't just about choices, it's also about chances. If you've been born in to a family that doesn't value literacy, what chances do you have of becoming, say, a doctor? Sure you still have the choice to go to school and work hard, because every child has that chance. But maybe your mother spends the money that could go to school lunches on booze instead. So the school day is spent hungry and distracted, hardly equal to others who are well fed and concentrating, who can go home and get help with their homework from their parents if they're stuck.

We can all run the same race but some peoples starting point is way way back, and they also have a limp and no running shoes.

Look at this skanger!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Bell Butter

They're all dirt bags gaz.

I love the way they "trun" stuff instead of "throw" and "streal", what does streal mean. Can someone explain?

"HEEEEOOORRRR, I'LL BLEEEDIN TRUN DIS AT YEH AND STREAL OUW OF YEH"

Cianos wrote: »
    If you've been born in to a family that doesn't value literacy, what chances do you have of becoming, say, a doctor?
    Slim - but don't blame 'society', blame your parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

If only everyone had equal choice. Of course it sounds nice to say that wherever you are born and whatever your circumstances, you can still achieve anything if you work hard enough. It's very comforting in its simplicity to apply the same potentiality to every individual, ranking with the same measuring stick.

Truth is that life isn't just about choices, it's also about chances. If you've been born in to a family that doesn't value literacy, what chances do you have of becoming, say, a doctor? Sure you still have the choice to go to school and work hard, because every child has that chance. But maybe your mother spends the money that could go to school lunches on booze instead. So the school day is spent hungry and distracted, hardly equal to others who are well fed and concentrating, who can go home and get help with their homework from their parents if they're stuck.

We can all run the same race but some peoples starting point is way way back, and they also have a limp and no running shoes.

Being illiterate doesn't excuse hanging around LUAS stops all day hassling commuters.

Lots of decent people are just straight up poor, especially these days, being a skanger comes down to attitude and anti-social behaviour.

Of course. However it's still the duty of society to work towards minimising the number of these cases, for many reasons.

• Subscribers Posts: 126 ✭✭Camo22

If you went to wesley and told the bouncers you from Foxrock, followed by "ehhhhh beside the rock bud"

hardCopy wrote: »
    Being illiterate doesn't excuse hanging around LUAS stops all day hassling commuters.

Lots of decent people are just straight up poor, especially these days, being a skanger comes down to attitude and anti-social behaviour.

Yeah, not everyone who is illiterate is antisocial. But some environments are typically more contributive to becoming antisocial than others, for example those that don't encourage literacy.

It's obvious that money isn't the deciding factor, because as you say many poverty stricken people are very decent. In the same way many wealthy people are antisocial in their own ways.

Still, poverty does correlate with lack of opportunity, poor education, poor resources, poor opportunity and, given these conditions, more likely antisocial behavior.

Still, poverty does correlate with lack of opportunity, poor education, poor resources, poor opportunity and, given these conditions, more likely antisocial behavior.
    Indeed. I wonder though to what extent though the tendency to be anti-social leads to downward social mobility, and to what extent the low social status causes the anti-social tendencies? Chicken/egg scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I just love this post, I couldn't have put it better myself.
    I'm quite happy to be a snob.
    I have no desire whatsoever to be Anywhere that skangers are and I definitely don't want my children mixing with skanger children either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Yeah, not everyone who is illiterate is antisocial. But some environments are typically more contributive to becoming antisocial than others, for example those that don't encourage literacy.

It's obvious that money isn't the deciding factor, because as you say many poverty stricken people are very decent. In the same way many wealthy people are antisocial in their own ways.

I think it's a cop out to blame anti social behaviour on being poor.
    There is no reason this should be so. We grew up during the 70's and haddnt a bean, we were poor but still we were taught a sense of respect for others and their property. During the recession in the 80's we were taught to go out and work for whatever pay could be got doing anything there was to be done. Now for some reason kids are being conditioned that if they aren't getting management wages they shouldn't bother working, while at the same time the parents don't encourage them to do well at school or get an education.

I drove a bus for a while bringing youth reach kids to the centre and to be honest the best public service I could have done was to lock the doors and burn them all in the bus! Such a bunch of waster no hopers it was unbelievable. To my knowledge none have work and the girls have children to multiple fathers before age 21.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

pontia wrote: »
    where are you from cisco student ? u ever been in inchicore ?

If you read the thread you would know , as I mentioned it twice.:D

Yes I've been TO Inchicore. Before you go getting all offended , that post was a JOKE it was something called HUMOUR and is not meant to be taken LITERALLY.

Capisce?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

smash wrote: »
    We should start a "have you ever made love to a skanger" thread...
    There goes my breakfast :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

mrroboito wrote: »
    This thread is just offensive.
    I haven't found any lies in it yet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

mrroboito wrote: »
    This thread is just offensive.

It's only offensive if you're a skanger. If so well done you must be in the top 1% of skang that can read and use the internet, give yourself a jonny blue and a dutch gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

You're a skanger if:
    • You wear a tracksuit everyday with ridiculously expensive runners.
    • You play Izbiza Hits out loud on the bus.
    • Have a screaming match with the missus in the middle of a busy street.
    • Walk around topless in public on a sunny day.
    • Have I.R.A or celtic cross tattoos on your forearms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

You can also blame yourself.

Everyone has the choice to either

a: throw bricks at an oncoming car
    or
    b: go home, apply to college and turn on nat geo.

Social background, and disadvantaged njeighbourhood cannot realistically force you to behave like a chimp.

why should they give a fcuk? Everything is handed to them on a plate and they are encouraged to sponge. their apologists would argue our society is not their society. what we need is some junkie(no, not coke, thats too aceptable) scanger to sit in the Dail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Best username ever

CruelCoin wrote: »
    You can also blame yourself.

Everyone has the choice to either

a: trun bricks at an oncoming car
    or
    b: go home, apply to college and turn on nat geo.

Social background, and disadvantaged njeighbourhood cannot realistically force you to behave like a chimp.

FYP

• Advertisement
Advertisement