Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

You are a skanger if

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

bbam wrote: »
    I just love this post, I couldn't have put it better myself.
    I'm quite happy to be a snob.
    I have no desire whatsoever to be Anywhere that skangers are and I definitely don't want my children mixing with skanger children either.

sorry, but the middle and upper classes are just as bad. they might no blare tout their music but they will throw rubbish, cos they are used to having someone else clean up after them. they will also only obey rules they consider appropriate.

of course you could have your kids mix with southsiders who have a very narrow view of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭anhedonia

From an old wikipedia article on Skangers, I cant believe this article was taken down, its so incredibly apt:
    • The wearing of baseball caps at improbably large angles.
    • The wearing of white, branded trainers, with the laces behind the tongue of the shoe. Often, tracksuit bottoms tucked into white branded socks are worn.
    • The wearing of very short haircuts (sometimes with a short fringe or quiff at the front) in males.
    • Older male scangers can be seen sporting a small furry moustache made famous by Irish boxer Barry McGuigan.
    • Very fond of the bling culture so the wearing of prominent jewellery: facial jewellery, large rings (mostly sovereigns) and thick chains (worn around the neck or wrist) is compulsory. Jewellery is often made of gold, or has the appearance of gold. Large neckchains are commonly worn over clothing; typically on the outside of a t-shirt.
    • Often smoking, prefered brands being John Player Blue for men and Silk Cut Purple for women.
    • A particular gait, often likened to the walk and bobbing head of a pigeon.
    • A stance similar to that of someone with a tennis ball underneath each armpit .
    • When walking solo down the street, will keep his eyes firmly on the footpath.
    • Habitual public spitting.
    • When using the bus, will sit upstairs at the back and smoke.
    • Quite often malnourished
    • Males usually go topless in sunshine, but carry jacket in hand just in case.

The stereotypical accent is a particularly noticeable characteristic in this grouping. In Dublin, the accent resembles the typical inner-city accent, but with some slight differences:
    • The speaker speaks in a rather high-pitched nasal tone, and some sounds are consequently slurred to some extent.
    • There is apparent difficulty in pronouncing vowel sounds such as the short 'o' sound of 'oh', often enunciated as 'ah', as in 'story' ('starry'). The flat 'u' sound of 'uh' also causes some difficulty: this is variously rendered as either a long and emphasised 'uuh' sound, or 'eh', as in
    • A corrupted form of Dublin slang is used, which is so modified it is sometimes quite unintelligible to other Dubliners. A common greeting used by so-called scangers is pronounced 'starry buud?', a corruption of the Dublin phrase 'what's the story, bud?', meaning, 'how are you, my friend?'. Generally, diphtongs are not pronounced, rather separated into two different sounds.
    • Syllables are often added to single-syllable words. For example "I bunked off skoo-well" rather than "I took some unauthorised absence from school"
    • 'Wha'?', a contraction of 'what?', is used frequently at the end of a statment to pose the question 'do you understand what I am saying?'. For example, 'Deadly buzz that is, wha'?'. 'Wha' is also used in conversation with non-scangers to force the non-scanger to repeat their question, this allows the scanger time to comprehend 'non scanger' speech. The overuse of the term 'wha' has developed into scangers often uttering a 'Swha' noise at all times.
    • Some scangers, along with some Dubliners not identifiable with the scanger stereotype, use a curious version of the possessive adjective form of 'you' (plural), normally enunciated as 'your', which is pronounced in this case as 'yezzer'. A possible explanation for this is that it is a combination of 'yez', a corruption of Dublin slang 'yous' (the second-person plural pronoun), and 'your'.
    • 'Anyway' has mutated into 'Inanyways' as a preferred sentence opener or to notify a change of subject, for example: 'Inanyways, have yez any blow?'
    • The generalisation of the ending of peoples names with a vowel, most commonly "O,A,I & E". Example, Thomas - "Tommo", Anthony - "Anto", Declan - "Decco". Girls names for example, Patricia - Patricieaaa - extenuating the "a" at the end as well as "ic" into an "ieeeeeeeee". The elocution has developed to somewhat like talking while trying to keep words inside the mouth. This is achieved in a sense like making an "O" of the mouth as if to blow out a candle before talking. Vowels are thus easier to include in normal speech patterns.
    • Swearing and general vulgarity is usually common during speech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Fuinseog wrote: »
    sorry, but the middle and upper classes are just as bad. they might no blare tout their music but they will throw rubbish, cos they are used to having someone else clean up after them. they will also only obey rules they consider appropriate.

of course you could have your kids mix with southsiders who have a very narrow view of the world.

I'd rather be sitting beside a middle class person on the luas red line than a skanger (not that it would ever happen - the luas seems to be a fukcing creche for them).

your rubbish throwing point is ridiculous - when was the last time you saw a skanger prepare for the tidy towns??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

It's only offensive if you're a skanger. If so well done you must be in the top 1% of skang that can read and use the internet, give yourself a jonny blue and a dutch gold.
    lol I was gonna make that point earlier when someone realised they had two skanger symptoms - the fact that they can read the posts means they are probably in the clear ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

On the flight over on your holiday you sound like an Army General about finding a "base". It's not a holiday unless you have a base. Must establish the base

You arrive in sunny Spain and spend two weeks sitting in a dark bar getting pissed every day

If you meet an English group you sing rebel songs on your hotel balcony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭Thefirestarter

Shryke wrote: »
    Nonsense, it just so happens that almost all are lower class. It's an inherent thing for the poorer off everywhere. You're jumping through hoops to justify slagging off people who were born and raised in an environment/social strata that breeds "skanger" type behavior.
    I don't mind a bit of a laugh but I see way too many people being consistent and serious in bashing certain types on here. It would be great if we could all be as well off.
    There's a real ugly side to this kind of thread and you don't have to look too deeply to see it.

Very True, I see a lot of the same people who turned up in the "Is it common to have the tri colour on your house?" thread in here as well with the same bashing of the working class.

Although, I think it should be made clear that there is a genuine 'Working Class' who are good people and then there is the 'Under-class', who are criminals and the dirge of our society, and give the 'Working Class' a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Rezident

• . . . you hang around town every day drinking/smoking hash
    • you have no respect for society in general and think the world owes you a living
    • you think stealing is ok
    • you turn up at the Three European Championships s event and cause havoc because you have no respect for anything etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

You're a skanger if:
    If you think batter burgers are "gorge-jis".
    If you ever asked "bud" for a smoke.
    If you see your mate Jacinta at the far end of Henry street and call her at the top of your voice.
    If you smoke on the bus, or play music through the speaker on your phone at full volume on the bus/train.
    If you wear any clothes or carry a bag with "Pauls boutique" or "PB" written in big letters on it.
    If you go to the pub on a night out wearing a tracksuit.
    If a big day is coming up and you need new clothes, so you go to straight to Champions Sports.
    If you do laps of your local main street in your modified car all day.
    If Bud is your drink of choice.
    If you think Elizabeth Duke stuff is "lovely"
    If you own a Celtic jersey or have a Celtic tattoo
    If you wear a soverign ring.
    Your house is full of "collecters" stuff from The Franklin Mint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Paparazzo wrote: »
    You're a skanger if:
    If you see your mate Jacinta at the far end of Henry street and call her at the top of your voice.
    If you smoke on the bus, or play music through the speaker on your phone at full volume on the bus/train.
    If you wear any clothes or carry a bag with "Pauls boutique" or "PB" written in big letters on it.
    If a big day is coming up and you need new clothes, so you go to straight to Champions Sports.
    Bud?
    What happen to dutchies?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Jester252 wrote: »
    Bud?
    What happen to dutchies?

Sorry, should have clarfied. Bud in a pub, dutchies from the off licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

Shryke wrote: »
    Nonsense, it just so happens that almost all are lower class. It's an inherent thing for the poorer off everywhere. You're jumping through hoops to justify slagging off people who were born and raised in an environment/social strata that breeds "skanger" type behavior.
    I don't mind a bit of a laugh but I see way too many people being consistent and serious in bashing certain types on here. It would be great if we could all be as well off.
    There's a real ugly side to this kind of thread and you don't have to look too deeply to see it.

How's that Sociology Degree from Maynooth working out for you there bull?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

Paparazzo wrote: »
    You're a skanger if:

LMAO :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Your new phonebook is dropped at your door,you don't have a phoneline so you leave it on the doorstep for a year until the new one arrives.

You class black trainers as shoes and you wear them with your tracksuit bottoms & roundneck jumper for the court appearances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Very True, I see a lot of the same people who turned up in the "Is it common to have the tri colour on your house?" thread in here as well with the same bashing of the working class.

Although, I think it should be made clear that there is a genuine 'Working Class' who are good people and then there is the 'Under-class', who are criminals and the dirge of our society, and give the 'Working Class' a bad name.

Skangers aren't working class. They wouldn't be caught dead working or rather it would kill them if they did a days work.
    You'll find they are professional SW households who know the system throughout and being unemployed is a lifestyle choice and being employed is to be laughed at. They are usually the ones who need their dole cut rather than the genuine people who have been made redundant in recent times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

Hate Knackers,the place is full of them where I live.95% of them contribute nothing to society.Most of the time they just hang around the town all day pushing pushchairs and acting like yobo's and what really makes my blood boil is that these scumbags are just as much respected like you or me or any other honest decent person which for the life of me I can't figure out.It is one weird country we're living in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

your rubbish throwing point is ridiculous - when was the last time you saw a skanger prepare for the tidy towns??[/QUOTE]

true and I blame the society that created this culture of dependency. manz skangers were resettled into the suburbs and did not look upon it as their own. if they burn down their flat, they will given another one. why therefore respect anything?

Rezident wrote: »
    • . . . you hang around town every day drinking/smoking hash
    • you have no respect for society in general and think the world owes you a living
    • you think stealing is ok
    • you turn up at the Three European Championships s event and cause havoc because you have no respect for anything etc.

the middle class steals as well except its called white collar crime and we have no problem with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

mikemac1 wrote: »
    On the flight over on your holiday you sound like an Army General about finding a "base". It's not a holiday unless you have a base. Must establish the base

You arrive in sunny Spain and spend two weeks sitting in a dark bar getting pissed every day

If you meet an English group you sing rebel songs on your hotel balcony.

While wearing a liverpool top. The amount of skangers that wear liverpool tops is incredible. Are they handed out in the maternity hospital?:D

Also if you point the hypocrisy of them abusing english people while wearing an english top the look of first utter astonishment and then hatred is priceless!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Fuinseog wrote: »
    the middle class steals as well except its called white collar crime and we have no problem with it.
    I don't think that's fair - I think nearly everyone has a very big problem with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Why are they so loud? Always shouting and roaring and music on high at all hours. The concept of other people is simply not there.

Another thing is the sheer aggression. That could be blamed on their diet.

Anti absolutely everything and Ireland is a dump despite them having the best social welfare allowances in the world.

Oh yeah getting their infants ears pierced. What is with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Festy wrote: »
    Hate Knackers,the place is full of them where I live.95% of them contribute nothing to society.Most of the time they just hang around the town all day pushing pushchairs and acting like yobo's and what really makes my blood boil is that these scumbags are just as much respected like you or me or any other honest decent person which for the life of me I can't figure out.It is one weird country we're living in.

Have you actually read any of this thread?

Advertisement