Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Game You Mastered?

Options
  • 13-06-2012 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭

I was listening to John Teti's Gameological podcasts in work today, and the first one threw up an interesting question.

What is the first game you mastered? Not the first one you played (or even the first one you finished) -- the first one that you absolutely played to death and knew every nuance that the game had?

I had to think hard about this, and I think it was probably Wardner in the arcade. Absolutely played it to death over a summer around 1988 I think (bowling alley in Carlow, of all places!) ... Looking back now, it wasn't a great game by any means, but I loved it at the time, I knew it backwards and I knew all the secrets. There was a great gauntlet at the end where you had to traverse downwards through a series of rooms, beating a mini-boss or hazard in each room until you got to the main boss at the very bottom. Took me a long time to master that section (and learn the fireball patterns for the boss on the last screen).

I think a MAME session is on the cards over the next few days, now that I think about it. Haven't played it for years.

Slightly nerdy fact: When I got Creatures for the C64 a few years later, I could definitely see strong Wardner influences in it. :)

Anyone else got any tales of mastery? Stories please - don't just name the game!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Pac-man on the 2600. I was godly at that game, could make one life last for hours and racked up massive scores all when I was five or six. It wasn't until many years later that I realised just how different it was to arcade Pac-man and even if pushed now, I think I prefer the 2600 version, despite it being awful.

Of multiplayer games, I unbeatable on IK+ on the C64, no one would play me even at two on one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. It wouldn't have been unusual for me to go 50 kills to 1 death in a game. Can't shoot to save my life in games like BF3 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I somehow beat F-Zero X on the N64 on master difficulty once upon a time. It involved killing at least your top 5 rivals every race and trying to not come last.

I'm racking my brain for a different one though as I grew up on the snes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Probably can't say I mastered but compared to any other game it's as close as I got was SF II the amount of hours was sickening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Sonic the hedgehog on the mega drive, oddly enough it was my first game aswell , i knew every breakable wall , bosses pattern , were hidden lives were and best way to obtain the chaos emerald, i still play it to this day , hell even my dad knows about all the secrets aswell and hes not even a gamer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Probably A Link To The Past, was old enough at that stage to actually know what the hell i was doing :D

Multiplayer wise... i think theres only a few players that have ever truely "Mastered" counterstrike, but its probably the one game that I was decent at and without a doubt the game i spent most time player. World of warcraft i'd say is the only MP game I've actually mastered (Was one of the best shamans/warlocks on my server anyway !).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

R-Type (think it was on cassette for the Atari)

Played it to death and think had it fairly well licked :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Street Fighter 2 on the SNES. It was the only game I had for the SNES for a long time and I could beat it on the top difficulty (7 stars?) with every character. Could even get all perfects if I put my mind to it (trying to "unlock" Sheng Long!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Grimebox wrote: »
    I somehow beat F-Zero X on the N64 on master difficulty once upon a time. It involved killing at least your top 5 rivals every race and trying to not come last.

I'm racking my brain for a different one though as I grew up on the snes.

If you had truly mastered the game you would realize that by repeatedly tapping R or Z to turn you wouldn't lose any speed, and could beat any race any time on any difficulty :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I don't suppose Chuck Yeager's Air Combat, or Aces of the Pacific count?

I nailed those. Other than that, probably Civ 2. Though I wouldn't say I really mastered that as I only played the highest difficulty once... and lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Mr E wrote: »
    I had to think hard about this, and I think it was probably Wardner in the arcade. Absolutely played it to death over a summer around 1988 I think (bowling alley in Carlow, of all places!) ... Looking back now, it wasn't a great game by any means, but I loved it at the time, I knew it backwards and I knew all the secrets. There was a great gauntlet at the end where you had to traverse downwards through a series of rooms, beating a mini-boss or hazard in each room until you got to the main boss at the very bottom. Took me a long time to master that section (and learn the fireball patterns for the boss on the last screen).

Oh man....dat game :D remember the arcade beside where I went on holidays as a kid in Wexford had a cabinet setup with a Japanese copy of it (so never knew the name). Could never even get to the first shop, but watched enthralled as the "bigger kids" played through and got to the last boss and such.

Dunno about first, but earliest game I had learned backwards was Story of Thor on the Megadrive, played that to bits finding and earning all the infinite weapons (that 100 floor endurance dungeon still gives em nightmares :p )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Super Mario World on the snes, You had to get the second exit in every level to get to star road and finish all those fiendish levels that took true skill, There was no gamefaqs then as I remember it so you had to do it all your self. but I got through that and the whole world turns weird and you start again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i knew it as power rangers on NES. i fecking finished that game about 1000 times. i could kill each boss without even looking at screen. i knew all paterns lol! *so sad...

If you had truly mastered the game you would realize that by repeatedly tapping R or Z to turn you wouldn't lose any speed, and could beat any race any time on any difficulty :)

What's this now? I can't find anything online about this

Super Mario World on the snes, You had to get the second exit in every level to get to star road and finish all those fiendish levels that took true skill, There was no gamefaqs then as I remember it so you had to do it all your self. but I got through that and the whole world turns weird and you start again.

I thought of this too. I wasn't all that difficult though to be honest, just took a lot of time. You could tell which levels had the second exit, they were a red dot on the map so you didn't need gamefaqs. I hated the "reward" for that. The whole game was ugly afterwards and you couldn't change it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭FullRetard

new zealand story(japanese version)in the arcade and black tiger were 2 arcade games I mastered.Still play them to this day

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Bubble bobble on the C64. Spent hours playing it, knew all the levels, all the routines. By the end we would just play in silence as we both knew exactly what the other would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

What's this now? I can't find anything online about this

Sure what has on-line got to do with it, you've read it here and this is on-line!

Basically the sideways attack if done repeatedly allows you to go round turns at full speed and mashes opponents to dust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

I'm ashamed to admit it was Modern Warfare 2.It came out when I was in TY in school so I had nothing better to do than play it.I knew all the gun stats and every hiding spot and possible class setup.I f I heard a gun sound I could tell immediately what gun it was. I played that game way too much.I can't even play it for 10 minutes anymore.Its so frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I hated the "reward" for that. The whole game was ugly afterwards and you couldn't change it back.

I had totally forgotten that that happened in Mario World after beating Star Road. Had to go look it up on YouTube.

Back on topic:

I'd say the first game I mastered might have been NBA Jam on the Mega Drive. I was practically unbeatable at the game. I think I had a 100+ winning streak on it at one point. I would say though if there had been online multiplayer back then I'd have been found out big time.

Sure what has on-line got to do with it, you've read it here and this is on-line!

Basically the sideways attack if done repeatedly allows you to go round turns at full speed and mashes opponents to dust.

I somehow completely missed the part where you said using double Z/R allows you to turn without losing speed. I thought you were referring to some kind of glitch that I didn't know about. Of course I knew about that! How else are you supposed to beat unfair computer AI!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Wipeout 2097.

Also all guitar hero games up to gh3, all songs on expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Pong :D

Pretty easy to master though.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Megaman VI, know all the secrets, the alternate boss fights order for the special BEAT weapon, the location of the Protoman powerup, all that good jazz.

Second Runner up is definitely Megaman X, to which they added a lot of replay in finding powerups and the interesting ways in which defeating one boss affected the landscape of another boss's level, like killing Chill Penguin freezes over all of the magma in Flame Mammoth's stage. Oh, and of course, the hidden and hard to find Hadouken attack.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Eye of the Beholder 2; I could play it perfectly fine on my 486 and save but for some reason I could not load. So every time I wanted to play it I had to start from scratch again; I knew were everything was including farming levels to gain experience (hard cap on experience in EoB2 but you could move your characters to EoB3 with exp beyond the cap).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Am thinking I spent a huge amount of time on SF2, I remember when the only move I couldn't do was Dhalsim's teleportation and the day I cracked it I felt like a genius.

But to be honest for a game to be "mastered" it was probably FF7, I wrote a walkthrough for the game including all secrets from memory when I was about 16, and I spent a ridiculous amount of time learning all the secrets of the game. I know a stupid amount of info about that game :o

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭tiny timy

Quake 2 for me.loved that game to death

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Tetris on the Gameboy followed by Sonic on the Mega Drive

I still have the Gameboy and tried to play Tetris a few months back at the highest level again.... Not happening

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Italian 90 on the mega drive.
    Knew how to win 9 nil through out the game even with Japan. The worst was could not play with Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,643 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

wonderboy in monsterland

loved this game, no continue when you die on last level, can (well used to be able to :p ) pass it on one coin. i must have a go of it on mame once again, its been a few years since i played it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Although I've been gaming for over 20 years, took until college and Tekken 5 before I mastered a game. I'm using the criteria for mastering the game as bringing a character up to the highest rank possible on the hardest difficulty setting. I don't compete in Japan or anything like that (true Tekken mastery).

Advertisement