Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Game You Mastered?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

c and c tiberian sun I think

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭CSU

Mega Man 6 - NES

or
    Army Men - Operation Meltdown (World War)
    ..have yet to find a game that is as fun to play split-screen (mortars where so much fun) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's probably either Tekken 3 or Metal Gear Solid. I never did any speedruns of MGS or went for the highest end rank or anything like that, but I finished it more times than I can remember, knew where everything was, what keycards you needed to open what doors, how to defeat all the baddies, when someone was going to call me on the Codec etc. Never did any speedruns or rank runs simply because I enjoyed playing the actual game for the love of the game rather than for any achievement of beating a time or anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Spyro was probably the first game i mastered as a kid. I spent hours on that game and managed to get 100% completion on it.

Worst part was chasing those blue ***** with the eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Califronia games on the Atari lynx. Especially the BMX game, didn't matter whether it was speed runs or high scores. I remember I could run the track with my eyes closed.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Probably the Return of the Jedi arcade game. Got so good at it the only thing that could stop me was time and my own willingness to continue.

Also, China Miner on the C64. Probably to this day the most difficult game ever made, for me at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Symphony of The Night for me, a brilliant game, although i only truely mastered it when it came out on xbl. Also i know its not as impressive as some of the runs out there but my best richter speed run is 7.23, i'm kinda proud of that :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Either Donkey Kong Country on the SNES or Looney Toons on the Gameboy, cant remember which i got first its so long ago

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

Tony Hawk's 2. Between me and a mate we knew every corner of that game and could post some serious scores. Loved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Wario Land on the Gameboy was the first game I saw everything in. I managed to see all the different endings in the game, which meant finding all of the treasures in the game and stupid amounts of coins.

Console-wise, I saw everything in Goldeneye. I'm sure many of us remember unlocking Invincibility...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,011 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I was insanely good at Centipede and Joust on the Atari 2600 considering I was about six or seven when we got one.

Could clock both so they restarted back to the slow stages again.

I drew my own maps for Zelda II back in the day too.

Nowadays I know far too much about Pokemon Red/Blue.

Nowadays I know far too much about Pokemon Red/Blue.

Oh yes, I'm guilty of that one too. Did you max out the clock?! 255 hours...I shudder to think how far beyond that I went.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Mario Bros 3.

The quickest speedrun I've had on that was 13 minutes, the fastest anyone has done is 11 minutes I think.

You have to be lucky here passing by these levels without getting caught and having to go through them, otherwise the whole speedrun is ruined:
    gfs_28422_2_11.jpg

I completed Time Crisis 2 on 1 credit on a boat over to England. Nobody was around to see my victory :(

Also Blood on PC, played that game relentlessly and knew every single quote and easter egg there was. Great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Mine would actually be the first game I ever got - back when you had few enough games that you would play them long after completion for sheer lack of alternatives. It was Nintendo World Cup on the NES - I was able to beat the first few matches (against Cameroon et al) by about 40 to nil, scoring a goal every 5 to 10 seconds or so if I remember correctly. Could finish the entire game without conceding a goal with very little difficulty.

Excellent game though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Mr. K wrote: »
    Console-wise, I saw everything in Goldeneye. I'm sure many of us remember unlocking Invincibility...

Dr. Doak is a c*nt

Grimebox wrote: »
    Dr. Doak is a c*nt

Oh yeah, his location was randomised! I'd forgotten about that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

C&C Red Alert 2
    Got it release day and pretty much became the only game i played for almost 3 years until generals came out and my pc couldnt run it

nobody i knew IRL could beat me at it

Was really high ranked online as well

wish i could see my ladder results but there gone forever:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Elite.

250px-Elite_org_cover.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭evillive

bubble bobble, 2 player on the playstation after years of hitting level 70/80/90, myself and a pal finally crack it and it has never seen the light of day since - the only time yellow stripey bubblegum and black umbrellas meant anything important to me

• Registered Users Posts: 17,439 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Galaga, Choplifter, Golden Axe and Mr Do
    Still classic games which I used to play in our local pub hangout (all the kids hung out in the gaming lounge).
    The highest score of each game would get their name up on the leadboard and we'd be all trying to achieve it even though our name might barely be up for a few hours or a day before someone would come in and take the crown again.
    Many a time kids would walk in, see the new name and think "that bastard has the high score" and they'd spend the next 2-3 hours trying to beat it :D
    Good old days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

The first pc game I played was half life 2 team death match, I owned at that game and used to have a pretty respectable k:d ratio all when I was around 9 years old. I used to find it hilarious that I could beat almost every adult in the game and watching their rage was priceless:D I joined a clan and there was a guy that had a k:d ratio of something like 4.20 he was absolutely amazing.
    I play tf2 and cod mostly now which I would like to thing I'm above the average player and get pretty respectable scores each game.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

The first one I "mastered" in that I got really good at was probably Warcraft III. Miss it so much, cant get into Sc2 to play properly on ladder

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Not sure, may have been Mario on the original Game Boy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Niska

Exorcist on the Commodore Plus 4, first game I got 100% complete in.

Basically a Pac-man clone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

First game completed, Sonic the Hedgehog on the Mega Drive,
    Italia '90 was another 4 hours from start to finish, which felt like a life time when your 8 years old
    Games were harder then because there was no saving or only one save file allowed, if you had brothers they'd be constantly overwriting your progress also

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Dboy85

Terminator 2 on the C64 :cool: or Revenge of Shinobi on the mega drive. An honorable mention of C&C Red Alert for the PS1. Me and a mate of mine used to mitch from school in 1st year to stay at home and link up the consoles for some epic battles.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A duck shooting game on a Win95/98 box. Then we upgraded the machine and as the clock increased so did the pace at which the ducks moved, making winning impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Contra 3 on the snes. Or "Super Probotector" as it was known in europe :).

Hard mode with only 3 lives. No problem. I was godlike and knew all the patterns. Sunk so many hours into it.

Advertisement