Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business or Accounting for leaving cert??!

• 13-06-2012 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

I didn't do Business for JC and really regretted it. Would it be too difficult to take up accounting, business or economics for leaving cert? And which of the three would require the least amount of JC knowledge?? Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

If your willing to learn off loads and loads of definitions and just regurgitate things to get yourself an A1/A2, Buisness is the topic you want.

May I recommend Economics?

Its a very short course and you could learn the whole thing in 6 months on your own. I only took it up as an extra subject at christmas and love it, im hoping to get an A1 in it.
    IMO, its far more interesting than buisness and it allows you to gain a greater appreciation for how this country is truly run.
    The stuff you learn is buisness is not going to do that for you and you will likely never need the majority of stuff from the course.

As for accounting... Well I dunno, i aint done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭glitzandbits

Dapics wrote: »
    If your willing to learn off loads and loads of definitions and just regurgitate things to get yourself an A1/A2, Buisness is the topic you want.

May I recommend Economics?

Its a very short course and you could learn the whole thing in 6 months on your own. I only took it up as an extra subject at christmas and love it, im hoping to get an A1 in it.
    IMO, its far more interesting than buisness and it allows you to gain a greater appreciation for how this country is truly run.
    The stuff you learn is buisness is not going to do that for you and you will likely never need the majority of stuff from the course.

As for accounting... Well I dunno, i aint done it.

Thanks for the advice :) I'm just wondering would I be at more of a disadvantage taking business or economics having not taken business studies for the junior cert? Which of the two has more junior cert related material?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I personally prefer business there is a lot of learning off. I did it for the jc as well. Many pick up business so you'd be fine.

While economics is a shorter course they're graphs you need to learn off and you really need to understand everything . I only picked it up this year I found the graphs complicated at first. It's not too bad though .

I personally prefer business there is a lot of learning off. I did it for the jc as well. Many pick up business so you'd be fine.

While economics is a shorter course they're graphs you need to learn off and you really need to understand everything . I only picked it up this year I found the graphs complicated at first. It's not too bad though .

Hope so I think I'll pick business as my school doesn't offer economics :) fingers crossed it will be a better choice than chemistry or history

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 127 ✭✭Duffman K

Accounting probably the worst subject I have ever done.
    I wouldnt recommend it however you dont need to have done Business for JC(although it would be a help)

In saying that though I resented it from day 1 as I was forced to do it, kind of
    However I have only recently started to "Try" and once you do a bit of practice alot of the questions are the same.

Its a practical subject, learn by doing, can be nice to have a subject that doesnt require lots and lots of theory.

They say about 20% of those who do HL get an A.

If your willing to put a bit of effort in, and your good at word problem type questions give it a go, why not.

• Advertisement

Duffman K wrote: »
    Accounting probably the worst subject I have ever done.
    I wouldnt recommend it however you dont need to have done Business for JC(although it would be a help)

In saying that though I resented it from day 1 as I was forced to do it, kind of
    However I have only recently started to "Try" and once you do a bit of practice alot of the questions are the same.

Its a practical subject, learn by doing, can be nice to have a subject that doesnt require lots and lots of theory.

They say about 20% of those who do HL get an A.

If your willing to put a bit of effort in, and your good at word problem type questions give it a go, why not.

Would you think business or accounting requires the least amount of jr cert knowledge? What exactly do you miss out on starting accounting in 5th year not having done business for jc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Would you think business or accounting requires the least amount of jr cert knowledge? What exactly do you miss out on starting accounting in 5th year not having done business for jc?

I do accounting an economics.You could start accounting without any knowledge of business.Theres very little theory and as it has been said its very easy to get a high grade.Even though I despise it I should get a b1 or a2.

Economics is all theory.There's lots to learn but a lot of it is just common sense and most of the course is very easy.Its pretty difficult to get an A in economics though as the standard is very high.You realy have to be on the ball to get full marks in questions.

I found economics more difficult than accounting but accounting is extremely boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

You don't need business for Accounting at all. JC business is roughly split into about 40% Acc 40% Bus and 20% Economics. Of the 40% accounting at least half of it is left behind so then your down to 20% of the Acc carrying into the LC but everything that does carry over gets way harder so it is of little or no benifit to have done jc business. Accounting has to be one of the easiest subjects I've done once you put in the work. There are only 12 different sections (some are devided into smaller sub sections) you can be asked questions on and in the exam you have more choice than any exam I know. In section 1, 3 Questions come up and you do 1 long q or the 2 short Qs. Section 2 3Qs come up and you do 2 and section 3 2Qs come up and you do one.

There is also one Question which is gaurenteed to come up every year and it is worth 30% of your entire exam. To be fair they always do something tricky inside it to seperate the the A students from the b's but that trick is normally only worth maybe 10 marks (five for the trick part and then 5 for having your overall final answer wrong) out of the whole 120 marks for that question. So as a result I have 9 pages of notes here that pretty much mean a gaurenteed minimum of 25% out of that 30% for me.

Then the last section budgeting is so east and worth 20% overall, I could do it before we did it in class. Basically the budgeting question is just a question where it says if someone spends x y and z ammount in every month of the year and their income is w how much will that have at the end of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

GarIT wrote: »
    You don't need business for Accounting at all. JC business is roughly split into about 40% Acc 40% Bus and 20% Economics. Of the 40% accounting at least half of it is left behind so then your down to 20% of the Acc carrying into the LC but everything that does carry over gets way harder so it is of little or no benifit to have done jc business. Accounting has to be one of the easiest subjects I've done once you put in the work. There are only 12 different sections (some are devided into smaller sub sections) you can be asked questions on and in the exam you have more choice than any exam I know. In section 1, 3 Questions come up and you do 1 long q or the 2 short Qs. Section 2 3Qs come up and you do 2 and section 3 2Qs come up and you do one.

You have more choice in economics.Theres 8 long questions and you only have to do 4.And you only have to do 6/9 short questions.Its very easy to pick and choose questions that suit you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Chavways wrote: »
    You have more choice in economics.Theres 8 long questions and you only have to do 4.And you only have to do 6/9 short questions.Its very easy to pick and choose questions that suit you.

I thought there were questions in economics that you had to do so you wouldnt have it there. I don't do it so I don't know, I was just thinking physics is about the same for choice. Either way there are no questions in Accounting that you have to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭amyleaving

I did business for junior cert and i do business now there is hardly anything that overlapped , 3 girls in my class had not done business before but there wasn't really a difference, so you could take it up fine but be warned, the business marking scheme is very harsh if you think you can just learn some definitions, don't choose it , you need to take the definitions you learned and make it a point , then explanation and examples for everything , business can be hard! so be ready but i like it :)
    i know people who did accounting found you either love it or hate it, no in between if you are good at maths and balancing accounts it is supposed to be easy to do well in but if your not thats all the subject is really so you could find it difficult , just my opinions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭ektec

I'm going into 5th year in sept.. I chose business as I just love theory and find it common sense...The accounting part of my Junior cert was crap, cant do accounts but theory is common sense i think..

I looked at the higher level leaving cert paper and found most things are common sense..

Anyone can do business with a head :P

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

Personally I did business for the JC and found it quite easy, didn't do it for the LC though.

Advice wise, if you like studying theory and find the business world interesting then choose business.
    If you like figures, adding, subtracting, multiplication and division then choose Accounting. Course isn't very long and really you don't need JC business to do LC accounting.
    I can't speak about economics having never done it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 johnkelly12

i think im doing accounting, biology, history and construction.. anyone advise against these.. is there any 'easier' subjects than other?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭user53

i think im doing accounting, biology, history and construction.. anyone advise against these.. is there any 'easier' subjects than other?

You should check and make sure a third language isn't something you will need to get into the college course you want to do. As far as i know most colleges require a third language but most ITs don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mayogirlie1

I was in the exact same situation this time last year I was completely torn between Business and Accounting! I was doing Business as an 8th subject but I didn't have the time so I gave it up!
    I am doing Accounting now and honestly if your willing to put in loads and loads of practice it is a very easy subject just repetition there really isn't a heavy workload!I did business for JC and I know eeveryone who is doing accounting did but to be honest after TY everyone forgot everything so our teacher started from the beginning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭pleindespoir

I don't do Business but I do Accounting. If you have great understanding of business, fond of practicing and a good calculator, you'll easily get an A in Accounting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 westerngirl323

I am currently in fifth year and I am studying economics, accounting and business.
    In my opinion not doing business for junior cert should not put you off choosing a business subject for leaving cert as everything that needs to be covered is covered again and is covered in more detail.
    My favorite subject out of the three, is economics. It is very interesting and the course is short enough. However I have been told that the marking is scheme is actually very tough and it can be quite difficult to get an A1 in it. Although the course is smaller in economics than business, i find it requires a lot more understanding and having an interest in the economy is important. Business is a straight forward subject as It is quite easy to understand. However there is a lot of theory and it has to be learnt very well. The marking scheme for business is said to be quite tough too so business may require a good bit of studying. If you put the time into it, you should do well. I find accounting to be the easiest subject out of the three as every year is similar but there is likely to be differences to every question so be prepared. It does have a high A rate which is good. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Westeros

Like the poster above said, check if you will need a third language for the college/course you wish to take.
    As regards the subjects:
    Accounting isn't too bad if you're willing to put the practice in. There is a lot of repetition in the accounting paper and its one of those subjects where the answer is either right or wrong. Even with a wrong answer, one that doesn't balance, you may still pick up 80-90% of the marks. You have a good choice with this paper. You can choose to do Q1 or two questions from Q2, Q3 and Q4. With Q1, there is really only three different types of questions that can come up. You also have a choice between two questions from Q5, Q6 and Q7. Q5 is the same every year, a ratio question. And finally, a choice between Q8 and Q9. It does allow you to find out where your strengths are and focus on those questions.
    Biology requires a lot of study, it is very theory heavy. I found biology tough enough, but then it was a subject I really didn't like which didn't help. If you like it, you'll put the time in and it will pay off in the end.

Advertisement