Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of flights

Options
  • 13-06-2012 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

I was shopping online for flights to Oz.

Best price I got was ~€1200 (2 stops over, 1 stops back). Flying with Aer Lingus/Emirates.

Is this a reasonable price? Usit had an "offer" on their site for flights for €344 +taxes but when I enquired about it they came back with a price of €1350 :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 debs1

kkelly77 wrote: »
    I was shopping online for flights to Oz.

Best price I got was ~€1200 (2 stops over, 1 stops back). Flying with Aer Lingus/Emirates.

Is this a reasonable price? Usit had an "offer" on their site for flights for €344 +taxes but when I enquired about it they came back with a price of €1350 :rolleyes:

I got mine for €1310 with Etihad. Only one stop so didn't mind payin the little bit extra, go from Dublin to Abu dhabi then onto Sydney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

I did find some cheaper prices online (€1180) but these required a 9 hour lay over in Dubai.

I ended up paying €1250 using a different website than the one I originally posted a price for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

It's a pity Air Asia have stopped their European flights (if you didn't mind going from Stansted). Prices were v. cheap (via KL to Melbourne)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

OP, I know you have booked your flights now, but it helps to include when and where you are flying into as that can make a significant difference. I just did a quick search and found flights from DUB - MEL return for just over E1000. I have seen them in the past just under E900 also when Emirates started flying out of Dublin (not a special, but competition with Eithad on the route)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Paid £750 for London to Auckland via Sydney with a 40 min stop off in Singapore. Return with Quantas. Had to pay an extra 100 to get to Heathrow though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

mel.b wrote: »
    OP, I know you have booked your flights now, but it helps to include when and where you are flying into as that can make a significant difference. I just did a quick search and found flights from DUB - MEL return for just over E1000. I have seen them in the past just under E900 also when Emirates started flying out of Dublin (not a special, but competition with Eithad on the route)

Dublin to Melbourne. Flying out around the beginning of Aug and returning end of Oct.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Gregsor

My mother is looking for prices at the moment too,arriving Brisbane end of November and returning around Feb/March any good prices found people let me know,thanks ;)

Gregsor wrote: »
    My mother is looking for prices at the moment too,arriving Brisbane end of November and returning around Feb/March any good prices found people let me know,thanks ;)

Emirates have flights end of Nov - middle of March for E1099

Malaysian (same dates) couple of euro cheaper, but would need to book through the likes of Orbitz (no problem, have done so before) as it is not recognised on the Malaysian website due to the inclusion of the Aerlingus flight from DUB - LHR (and back again).

Of the two I'd probably prefer Malaysian - just depends if she wants to transit Heathrow and doesn't mind the extra stop over - Emirates would be DUB - DXB - BNE whereas Malaysian would be DUB - LHR - KUL - BNE.
    I actually don't mind transiting through Heathrow. Aer Lingus will check the bags through to BNE (provided it is all on one ticket) and they now bus you from the plane to the flight transfers area, where you then just get the bus to the terminal you fly out of. On return to Heathrow you just follow the flight connections sign and pass through a seperate immigration to people entering the UK, which is much much shorter than if you had booked seperate tickets (and therefore need to enter the Uk to collect baggage and then re-check in). Painless really.

The cheap Emirates flights have some pretty crappy connections also, so watch for that. Best to sort the flights on their website 'by schedule' as you can then see the best connections. For the shortest connections it is slightly more expensive at E1118 for the dates I looked at.

Paid £750 for London to Auckland via Sydney with a 40 min stop off in Singapore. Return with Quantas. Had to pay an extra 100 to get to Heathrow though :(

That's a good price. Tight connection in SIN though or was it the same plane continuing on?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

That's a good price. Tight connection in SIN though or was it the same plane continuing on?

It was the same plane so no security. Just time to use the toilet and stretch the legs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

All the prices given seem quite cheap compared to flying from Perth.

Flew home with Emirates and booked about 2 months in advance and it cost me $2700. Was gonna go one way and then get an open return from DUB but even that was $1900. It seems us Perth residents get heavily penalised

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Emirates have flights end of Nov - middle of March for E1099

Malaysian (same dates) couple of euro cheaper, but would need to book through the likes of Orbitz (no problem, have done so before) as it is not recognised on the Malaysian website due to the inclusion of the Aerlingus flight from DUB - LHR (and back again).

Of the two I'd probably prefer Malaysian - just depends if she wants to transit Heathrow and doesn't mind the extra stop over - Emirates would be DUB - DXB - BNE whereas Malaysian would be DUB - LHR - KUL - BNE.
    I actually don't mind transiting through Heathrow. Aer Lingus will check the bags through to BNE (provided it is all on one ticket) and they now bus you from the plane to the flight transfers area, where you then just get the bus to the terminal you fly out of. On return to Heathrow you just follow the flight connections sign and pass through a seperate immigration to people entering the UK, which is much much shorter than if you had booked seperate tickets (and therefore need to enter the Uk to collect baggage and then re-check in). Painless really.

The cheap Emirates flights have some pretty crappy connections also, so watch for that. Best to sort the flights on their website 'by schedule' as you can then see the best connections. For the shortest connections it is slightly more expensive at E1118 for the dates I looked at.

Thanks mel.b

That is a great load of information there,she will be on her own travelling so will be quite eager to get some ease on the connection flights.

Prices are similar to what i was expecting too,:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I got a one-way flight to Perth for €626. Grand!

Done it threw skyscanner.

Slidey wrote: »
    All the prices given seem quite cheap compared to flying from Perth.

Flew home with Emirates and booked about 2 months in advance and it cost me $2700. Was gonna go one way and then get an open return from DUB but even that was $1900. It seems us Perth residents get heavily penalised

I think flights from Australia to Europe rtn are generally more expensive than flying from Europe to Australia rtn. If you know your plans well in advance you can normally pick up good Early Bird specials which come out in around Oct each year and its worth subsubscribing to the likes of the travel.com.au newsletter as then you will know when other specials are around.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭woodzie

I booked the following flights with emirates for €1,239 and that's flying out mid September and back mod October:
    Dublin - Perth
    Sydney- bangkok
    Bangkok - Dubai
    Dubai - Dublin.

I thought they were very reasonable considering all the stops we are making

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rua1

Booked flights for March next year, through to Wellington, including a stop over in Brisbane, for 1250 each. This is with ethiad. Found e-travel.ie to be the cheapest for what we were after. Brilliant that we avoid both Heathrow and Auckland, not that Auckland is bad, just nice to fly direct home

Advertisement