Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sitelinks and Map included in Organic Search results?

Options
  • 13-06-2012 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I notice that in some organic results, that under the description there are additional sitelinks and a Google Map for some results.

I am correct that these are automatically generated?

What determines whether one site will have these included in results compared to others?

I know there are "best practice" methods, but a site I am working on currently has no site links, so am looking for some direction into what I could do to generate them?

Tweak homepage content for example?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Google decides if they should get generated or not
    You can control the removal of ones that you don't want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Would Google take anything into account in deciding whether a site would have sitelinks in the results or not?

For example, things like H1 and the usual on page factors?

Would it take into account the age of the site at all? If it's a new site, it would more likely not be displayed for example?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭millymash12

Look in googles webmaster tools, there's some options in there. I called Google the other day about the map showing on the results page of my business and they sorted it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Look in googles webmaster tools, there's some options in there. I called Google the other day about the map showing on the results page of my business and they sorted it out.

not sure what you mean with the "options" in webmaster tools. I know what is in webmaster tools, but is there anything in particular I should analyze that would help produce sitelinks in results down the line...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭link8r

seachto7 wrote: »
    Would Google take anything into account in deciding whether a site would have sitelinks in the results or not?

For example, things like H1 and the usual on page factors?

Would it take into account the age of the site at all? If it's a new site, it would more likely not be displayed for example?

Hi Searchto7

I would imagine Google uses the following, but I don't know in what order or if all are relevant or not

1st Site Links
    Google looked for patterns like "Contact Us", "about us", "Shop" - so page with these names would seed such.

2nd Site Links
    Google expanded its pattern base by using commonly used terms shared by lots of sites.

Evolved Site Links
    Google will now use commonly shared terms on your site. Things that are likely to seed a site link. Which site links are shown also depend on the search, so you may have many more than you can see.

1. Links and Anchor text
    2. URL - Page Name
    3. Page Title
    4. External Links
    5. Repetitiveness (across pages, not just on page) with Consistency
    6. Patterns
    7. high CTR pages
    8. Pages linked on navigation bars higher up the page

For example, if every page has a link to your disclaimer page on the top right, chances are very high that it will become a site link.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Pablo

For the map have a look at http://schema.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 26 vikashmundaa

Blacknight wrote: »
    Google decides if they should get generated or not
    Creating enough relevant backlinks will make Google think about generating other links on the website too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭link8r

Yes, because pattern matching isn't the exclusive seed for them anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

I've always found it was the most popular pages that are added in Google's sitemaps for my sites

Advertisement