Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheating in Exams........

• 13-06-2012 7:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭

Im sure theres at least one of those in your school. Got all the essays in his pocket, asks to go to toilet and then uses it

One lad in my year got caught out in history, happiest moment of my life, none his essay came up and he was fuked. He's been sorted for the rest though, English, Geography, Irish, Business tomorrow

Who would like to see these people caught by examiner? Be brilliant. Thinking their so much smarter than us doing stuff like that.... prob then costing someone who worked harder than them a place in college...

Should cheaters be reported? 130 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    100%
    the_sycoandrewhardCopyEnrighttoxicity234randylonghornvangcutymonalisaLahinchianstoutsLizTfluffysierrabluestripe93HunchbackjumpguysoccymonsterJ_EGomzuGrahamH220SP534 130 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If you know someone is cheating then tell someone about it, rather than piss and moan on the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭iliketwixbars

If you know someone is cheating then tell someone about it, rather than piss and moan on the internet.

Yeah, cause that's going to happen. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Im sure theres at least one of those in your school. Got all the essays in his pocket, asks to go to toilet and then uses it

One lad in my year got caught out in history, happiest moment of my life, none his essay came up and he was fuked. He's been sorted for the rest though, English, Geography, Irish, Business tomorrow

Who would like to see these people caught by examiner? Be brilliant. Thinking their so much smarter than us doing stuff like that.... prob then costing someone who worked harder than them a place in college...

I know a few lads who have in recent years resorted to this, they all got away with it, the bin in the bathrooms is not just for rubbish you know :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I thought there was competition for academic places - why would you not report cheating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭IslandKid

shut up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

No
    That's the problem. It's disgusting if you see someone cheating but chances are, you've grown up alongside your classmates since first year. Maybe it's just because I'm in a fairly small year (~45 students in total) but we're all friends and I'd never be able to bring myself to rat one of them out if I saw them cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

No
    Yeah, cause that's going to happen. :rolleyes:

Why the fudge not? There has been small scale cheating in my exam centre (people whispering answers to each other) but nothing major. If someone does something serious I'll have no problem ratting them out. It's the Leaving Cert ffs, not a school fight. The person might be cheating YOU out of their course. The thing is probably nothing will be done about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

No
    People who cheat are fairly pathetic IMO.

lol. When I saw the thread name....... "Cheating in Exams" and then your name "SureYWouldn'tYa".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭iliketwixbars

subz3r0 wrote: »
    Why the fudge not? There has been small scale cheating in my exam centre (people whispering answers to each other) but nothing major. If someone does something serious I'll have no problem ratting them out. It's the Leaving Cert ffs, not a school fight. The person might be cheating YOU out of their course. The thing is probably nothing will be done about it.

??

I'm just saying :L ...it's unlikely that someone will report it. Well, unless your a right rat :P (or a sensible, human being who is insuring the integrity of the state examinations :D )

No
    Zomg Okay wrote: »
    That's the problem. It's disgusting if you see someone cheating but chances are, you've grown up alongside your classmates since first year. Maybe it's just because I'm in a fairly small year (~45 students in total) but we're all friends and I'd never be able to bring myself to rat one of them out if I saw them cheating.

I haven't formed enough of an emotional attachment to anyone in my school/life to warrant not reporting them for large scale cheating. Whispers or something I wouldn't really care about, but if someone had notes stuffed in the toilets or something. **** them, I'm reporting.

I've seen no cheating at all in our school during the leaving cert.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭teacher30

Couldn't have put it better myself - well said. I DESPISE cheaters - they're capable of anything if they cann do that imo

No
    Martin_94 wrote: »
    I've seen no cheating at all in our school during the leaving cert.

Same here, although I'm at the front of the exam hall and not in the habit of looking around for fear the examiner would think *I* was cheating. :P

Thinking about it, I don't think anybody in my year is stupid enough to cheat. But you never know, either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

No
    IslandKid wrote: »
    shut up

If you've nothing constructive to add to the thread, don't post in it please.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Darren.993

Report it. As someone said this is the leaving cert, those people have an unfair advantage over those who actually did the work, yourself included.

No
    Zomg Okay wrote: »
    Same here, although I'm at the front of the exam hall and not in the habit of looking around for fear the examiner would think *I* was cheating. :P

Thinking about it, I don't think anybody in my year is stupid enough to cheat. But you never know, either.

I don't know how morally someone would be capable of it either, but obviously some people are. Imagine your summer.....the guilt would be eating you up, well it would be eating me up anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wanchor

Our examiner was pretty clueless to our presence in the exam rooms at times, he seemed to wander off into the ceiling so cheating was quite easy if one wanted to try it but then he was sacked, swiftly and quietly. He gave us out examination booklets with Maths Paper 2. Nevertheless, he was still a legend. He let us go on at least at extra 8-10 minutes in the exam. In contrast, the new dude is a dick. He gives us our paper on the desk and we can't turn it over till the second hand strikes exactly on time.

I couldn't like with myself if I cheated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

If you can't report them in school, send an anonymous email to the SEC with the person's name and exam centre.

The competition is fierce and people cheating the other honest, hard-working students out of a college place need to be weeded out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

It prob goes on everywhere but he's stupid nuff to tell everyone how smart he is..........

Personally don't like the guy, but id hate to have the rat label on me. No-one in my year would do it, as one of ye said it is a small year etc.

Fyi, he's a medicine guy.......

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

It prob goes on everywhere but he's stupid nuff to tell everyone how smart he is..........

Personally don't like the guy, but id hate to have the rat label on me. No-one in my year would do it, as one of ye said it is a small year etc.

Desperate Times call for desperate measures eh? :D

If hes has to resort to cheating to help him out then I really dont know how he will get his points. It's just illogical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

If you don't want it to be traced to you, PM me the details and i'll forward it to the SEC.

There's no room for cheaters in healthcare and with the competition already as fierce as it is, the morally sound option is to report him.

• Advertisement

No
    Martin_94 wrote: »
    I don't know how morally someone would be capable of it either, but obviously some people are. Imagine your summer.....the guilt would be eating you up, well it would be eating me up anyway.

I get so guilty I couldn't cheat in a class test, never mind the Leaving! :P

No
    Our these really the type of people we want as our future doctors? Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wanchor

If you can't report them in school, send an anonymous email to the SEC with the person's name and exam centre.

The competition is fierce and people cheating the other honest, hard-working students out of a college place need to be weeded out.

Although, I hate cheating, sending an every anonymous email is not the way to combat it. I mean, do you really think the SEC would follow up on anonymous email accusing someone of cheating? The investigation would require some official SEC worker to every case, legitimate or not, and probably freeze they're results. They automatically become guilty until proven innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Cosmic.Postman

Just don't be at it laaaaads!
    Poor form now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

No
    Dapics wrote: »
    Desperate Times call for desperate measures eh? :D

If hes has to resort to cheating to help him out then I really dont know how he will get his points. It's just illogical
    Depending on the student, I wouldn't say desperate, probably more worried and stressed that they might not succeed. Sometimes I wonder why more hopefuls for high-points courses like Physiotherapy and Medicine aren't caught cheating, the standards expected of them are somewhat unrealistic given that they have to have a good base on not only mathematics but languages and other fields that might be unrelated to their chosen area of interest. I don't know...it's a grey area. I'm not advocating cheating but you do have to wonder what motivates even some hard working students to cheat. Is the system itself to blame for expecting too much of them?

For the record, I never have, or ever will resort to cheating, but that's just me. Not in me to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Its more difficult then just sending an e-mail. The person actually has to be caught cheating, they can't just go off a students report.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Vetton

If people looking to study medicine can't even get through the leaving without cheating, they'll be in for a shock when they go to third level 'cause they won't be able to keep up with the high demands of the course.

I wouldn't do it. Wouldn't that be something that would be stuck on your conscience forever? That, and even the humiliation of getting caught is just wow. Now worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

No
    Cydoniac wrote: »
    Is the system itself to blame for expecting too much of them?

In most cases it's their own laziness than anything else I think.
    How hard could it be to learn off a couple of essays extra, especially if it means getting your dream course en-route to your dream job?

No
    Vetton wrote: »
    If people looking to study medicine can't even get through the leaving without cheating, they'll be in for a shock when they go to third level 'cause they won't be able to keep up with the high demands of the course.

I wouldn't do it. Wouldn't that be something that would be stuck on your conscience forever? That, and even the humiliation of getting caught is just wow. Now worth it.

But he is getting away with it and probably won't be caught. He probably will be able to get through college and he'll probably be a highly respected and well paid doctor. He obviously isn't the type of person who has much of a conscience either. This type of cheating really annoys me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

No
    You might not take it seriously now until in August, your course is 500* and you miss out on random selection, while the cheater gets in. Even if they're not applying for the same course as you, it could easily affect you indirectly - if this guy is going for medicine, he could push out someone who will take their next option, science/pharmacy etc, which could be the course you want. All the people who work their asses off to get medicine, repeating years and paying thousands to go alternative routes, to be cheated out of their place...

You'd be doing a lot of people a favour if you reported someone for cheating. I don't think anyone cheated in my school, but in another school near us, 2 or 3 girls were found out that year. As far as I know they were reported by fellow students, but their names never came out obviously, so don't worry about other people knowing it was you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement