Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheating in Exams........

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Namlub wrote: »
    I don't get you, you've been around the place trying to demonise people for ''regurgitating essays'' yet you're legitimising cheating?

What Can I say, Im a man of differing opinions.:rolleyes:

I would hope that is respected, just as any reasonable discussion should render allowable.

And "Demonizing" is a very strong word to use. In that context not very solid in its necessity. I merely have my opinions, just as you do.

"Legitimizing"?

Please read my earlier posts and you will see I strongly disagree with cheating, I merely said one should take into account various factors before ruining a young mans life.

A lot of people need to lighten up and realize that come 10 years down the line, this whole damn exam will all be forgotten about. You will have gotten on in life and will have taken your place in our wonderful society.

The LC is not the be all or end all. Yet for some young man who was reported and subsequently became dejected, who strives for his degree, who has resorted to cheating in desperation...

Now thats if we understand the reasons behind his cheating.
    If you see a person cheating, confront them , ask them why they did it, attempt to understand their reasons.

Then make your decision knowing you at least made an effort to understand their circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wanchor

Togepi wrote: »
    How is he a "dick"? He's following the rules so that everyone in his centre has the same amount of time to do the exam, which is what every examiner is meant to do. If our one didn't do that I'd start every exam a few minutes late. If your new one is timing it to the second then he couldn't be any fairer.

Well I did mention in contrast but you're right. It's best to be fair but I can still mumble to myself about it. Sorry about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Dapics wrote: »
    What Can I say, Im a man of differing opinions.:rolleyes:

I would hope that is respected, just as any reasonable discussion should render allowable.

And "Demonizing" is a very strong word to use. In that context not very solid in its necessity. I merely have my opinions, just as you do.

"Legitimizing"?

Please read my earlier posts and you will see I strongly disagree with cheating, I merely said one should take into account various factors before ruining a young mans life.

A lot of people need to lighten up and realize that come 10 years down the
    line, this whole damn exam will all be forgotten about. You will have gotten on in life and will have taken your place in our wonderful society.

The LC is not the be all or end all.
    Not sure why you've changed them to American spellings but anyway...I'd call all this hypothetical young man going for medicine in a 'compendium of tears stuff' legitimising, yeah. For some reason or other you're trying to create a situation where cheating is justifiable, and there isn't one imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Dapics wrote: »
    That is a fair enough statement.

I understand your intepretation of what I stated and realize your interpretation is to some degree valid.

I should re-clarify:

I respect peoples opinions and am willing to argue cheating as a means to an end.
    What I meant was that whilst we all can identify with stress, it takes a phenomenal amount of it to cause someone to resort to this kind of behaviour.

Ultimately lets try and understand the reasons for his cheating before we act impulsively.

A bit of decency can go along way in regenerating a young mans life and his spirit. Offer advice to him, attempt to understand him.

Then make one's decision knowing that whatever decision you make, it was well thought and reasoned.

Cheating is not right. I agree, but sometimes one must dig a little deeper in order to truly deliberate on this topic.

I would disagree with it being ok because someone is stressed. I was under a huge amount of stress before biology yesterday, I was worried I wouldn't do well so I stayed up all night before the exam and spent the hour between it and the previous exam revising.

The girl I've seen cheating is obviously stressed too, but I seriously doubt she was willing to work that hard, and I heard her say after Irish "there's no point studying at this stage is there?" She and her friends then proceeded to be as loud and annoying as humanly possible, to the extent that I had to leave the room and study somewhere else.

Cheating is the easy way out and I don't think it's ever fair no matter how stressed someone is, especially if they don't even try to put the work in before the exam. I'd be more sympathetic to the girl in question if I saw her studying before the exams.

That said, I'm not going to report her. She may be a total chancer taking the easy way out, but I don't want to be the person that ruins her life. I couldn't bear to have to repeat, and waiting years to repeat would be absolutely soul destroying. I can't do that to someone else. I know it would be her own fault, but even so, the punishment is horribly harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Namlub wrote: »
    Not sure why you've changed them to American spellings but anyway...I'd call all this hypothetical young man going for medicine in a 'compendium of tears stuff' legitimising, yeah. For some reason or other you're trying to create a situation where cheating is justifiable, and there isn't one imo.

Fair Enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

No
    RTE News here we come again..

Some people here just show their level of maturity. You'll get nowhere in life without having morals and a bit of integrity. If someone is cheating, have the balls to report them. People have put years of work into these exams and for someone to come along, having cheated, and get the final place in a course over you is more than reason enough.

Fair enough, some people don't want to "rat out" their peers but what really annoys me is the people who single out others who do report someone who has cheated. If someone has shown they're not going to take any crap and reported a cheater then absolute fair play to them, they don't deserve any abuse for simply not allowing them being done over by someone who has done no work and taken the easy way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 smileygirlx

No
    There's a person who cheated for every single exam with her iphone in my friend's exam hall. She even admitted that "maybe I did cheat for one question" (when your not supposed to have your phone on you in the first place and she's been tapping at her phone throughout each exam and regurgurly goes to the bathroom!).
    Yet she finished her exams today. Even if she was reported, could anything be done now? Or is it too late?

And please hold back on the "you should have done it earlier". Thought someone else might have seeing as half the people in the year are angry about it.. (facebook statuses about cheating EVERYWHERE)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Thinking their so much smarter than us doing stuff like that......

By the looks of it they are smarter than "us"

You'll get nowhere in life without having morals and a bit of integrity..

If that some sort of joke?

Look at the people who have run this country for the last 90 years(Bertie, Haughley, P Flynn, Martin Cullen, et al - all on 100K plus pensions after ruining the country), Michael O'Leary, practically every professional soccer player, and plenty plenty more besides.

If anything the opposite is true - it's a dog eat dog world. Nice guys finish last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

No
    Posts deleted.

A little bit of cop-on now, folks, please! >.<

• Advertisement

jayteecork wrote: »
    If that some sort of joke?

Look at the people who have run this country for the last 90 years(Bertie, Haughley, P Flynn, Martin Cullen, et al - all on 100K plus pensions after ruining the country), Michael O'Leary, practically every professional soccer player, and plenty plenty more besides.

If anything the opposite is true - it's a dog eat dog world. Nice guys finish last.

I suppose money and climbing the ranks is everything to you right? It clearly outweighs morals which is a dangerous thing to have. You'll end up like the infamous examples you've mentioned if you continue like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Liveforrugby

I think we are all a little misunderstood here. I will not cheat - God says it's a sin . I will not report anyone cheating because that's not what Jesus would do =)

Human being don't always have the intelligence to know what's best. Ask yourself, what would Christ do? That way you can't go wrong

(P.S some people might think that I'm taking the piss but I'm actually being serious so don't hate please)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

No
    I think we are all a little misunderstood here. I will not cheat - God says it's a sin . I will not report anyone cheating because that's not what Jesus would do =)

Human being don't always have the intelligence to know what's best. Ask yourself, what would Christ do? That way you can't go wrong

(P.S some people might think that I'm taking the piss but I'm actually being serious so don't hate please)

And what if I'm an Athiest?

Christ was a human.
    Chavways wrote: »

Atheists are capable of having morals actually. Sorry for sounding horribly condescending but you make Athiesm sound like its a thing.

Chavways wrote: »

I don't want to start anything, everyone's entitled to there own opinion I guess, whatever makes you happy :) You will make mistakes, and you will learn from them I guess

Wanchor wrote: »
    Christ was a human.

Atheists are capable of having morals actually. Sorry for sounding horribly condescending but you make Athiesm sound like its a thing.

In flesh yes, moral of the story being that he was perfect, didn't make any mistakes so he's the man to look up to.

In flesh yes, moral of the story being that he was perfect, didn't make any mistakes so he's the man to look up to.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

No
    everyone's entitled to there own opinion ...
    Indeed! :)

This will NOT become a debate about religion!

Live and let live on all sides!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

I can see the SEC getting involved again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

<snip>

See two posts above this one, party, thanks.

R.

Edit: Alright but just a general question to all those who'd rather turn a blind eye:

Would you rather be brave and righteous and keep things fair for all or be cowardly and turn a blind eye to corruption and dishonesty to avoid the possibility of an awkward situation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Cill94

It shouldn't be up to the students to do the reporting; it's too much of a burden to know that you ruined a classmate's chances of getting into college. There should be stricter supervision in the exam halls and for god's sake people, it's no secret that the hidden notes in the toilets are a bit of a cliché at this stage, why don't they just do a routine search before each exam!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭silversky

mathstalk wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother ratting somebody else out for cheating. Frankly, if someone needs to cheat, chances aren't the smartest anyway, so English and Maths should take care of them; subjects that can't exactly be "cheated on". Plus, if it's a comeuppance you're looking to bestow on these cheaters, fear not! If they ever do get into a course above their intellectual standard, they should soon realise the errors of their ways.

Agree wholly with this point.

I saw a few people cheating in the exam with their phones, the examiner didn't notice a single thing. I dunno about anybody elses examiners but my school's were too old to do the job justice. It was a disgrace. It's the examiners jobs to notice, not the student's to notify them.

I dunno even though it's wrong to cheat in an LC exam, I'd still feel sorry for them if they got caught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Edit: Alright but just a general question to all those who'd rather turn a blind eye:

Would you rather be brave and righteous and keep things fair for all or be cowardly and turn a blind eye to corruption and dishonesty to avoid the possibility of an awkward situation?

That's not always the case Party. I wouldn't be too bothered by the awkward situation type of thing and I've never been too interested in what my classmates thought of me. I'm just not comfortable with ruining someone's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EducationFinder

This Leaving cert is a competition, am sorry but it's do what you can to get ahead.
    If I had it in me I would do what I could to get ahead, if you see someone cheating and it benifits you to tell, go straight ahead, but if it does NOT DO NOT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 WeOnlyLiveOnce

I cheated my way to 600 points and I am currently very happy studying pharmacy in Trinity

Like anything in life, those that have the drive to succeed will.

Report people all you like, I was reported by several people (they told me to my face they were doing so).
    I never even heard from the SEC.

To the people saying that college will catch cheaters out..... nope. It's even easier now that every lecture is provided in a digital format.
    Buy a smart phone for fuck's sake.

~WeOnlyLiveOnce~

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,174 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

This exact same topic came up when I was doing my LC. Personally, I think that 2 invigilators just isn't enough in an exam centre. I sat mine in the Institute in the upstairs study hall. Exam hall was split into 2 areas with an invigilator in charge of each area. The problem was that the invigilators basically stayed in one place for most of the exam and only walked around their area once every 30 mins or so. Thats ample time and opportunity for a potential cheater to copy an essay from a phone or whatever. My gf is sitting her LC this year and she says the same thing. Its very easy for someone to cheat when they know where the invigilator will be and how often he/she will walk around the exam centre. I'm sure there are some invigilators that patrol more often but in my case and in that of some of my mates from different schools, discipline has been a bit lax.

Exams in UCD are totally different. Granted there are usually a couple of thousand students sitting exams at the same time but each row gets an invigilator that patrols every few minutes or so to make sure there is no possibility of cheating. It's extremely well organised and efficient. Monitoring in the LC just seems so sloppy by comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

I have no problem with ruining anybody's life. I've already reported 20 of my classmates and they're all banned from sitting state exams for 5 years. Do I care? Not at all. I lack any morality or sentiment. Next time they'll know better to compete with me in any examination. Suckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Wiirdo

reznov wrote: »
    I have no problem with ruining anybody's life. I've already reported 20 of my classmates and they're all banned from sitting state exams for 5 years. Do I care? Not at all. I lack any morality or sentiment. Next time they'll know better to compete with me in any examination. Suckers.

Wait, are you serious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Wiirdo wrote: »
    Wait, are you serious?

Why wouldn't I be? I'd rat you out if you cheated in my exam hall. You're my competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Wiirdo

reznov wrote: »
    Why wouldn't I be? I'd rat you out if you cheated in my exam hall. You're my competition.

Okay then.:P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement