Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid Question - Editing a Wordpress page. FTP access needed?

• 13-06-2012 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

This probably seems like a really dumb question, but I'm in a bit of a pickle.

I have Wordpress access to a site. I am not a designer, so didn't build it, but I know my way around it via Wordpress, and was able to update title tags and descriptions etc.

However, if I want to "edit" the homepage in Wordpress, I only seem to be allowed to change the title tags and descriptions of the pages.

How can I change the actual content? Whether I am in visual or html view, it's just blank.

I wanted to tweak the content including looking at the H1 tags, but cannot seem to do it in Wordpress?

I also have FTP access. If I tried to log in this way, and download the page, would it make a difference?

I am at a loss right now...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

UPDATE:

Ok, when I go to the Wordpress dashboard and click "edit", only some pages appear with the content. As in, I can edit the content if needs be.
    Most other pages, nothing, just blank.

Anything to do with plugins? If the plugins are active throughout the site, how come it would only just be one or two pages that I can see?

I disable all plugins, but still no joy.

Confused.............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

seachto7 wrote: »
    UPDATE:

Ok, when I go to the Wordpress dashboard and click "edit", only some pages appear with the content. As in, I can edit the content if needs be.
    Most other pages, nothing, just blank.

Anything to do with plugins? If the plugins are active throughout the site, how come it would only just be one or two pages that I can see?

I disable all plugins, but still no joy.

Confused.............

Sounds like a permissions error on the files. Get the owner of the Wordpress installation to CHMOD the files I. Which are showing blank to a higher number.

Also to be clear, you're accessing the right editor:

Appearance > Editor

Let me know how it goes for you!

Sorry I just read back over the first post and yes you can edit the files also from FTP

Simply go to the root of your Wordpress installation and go to the folder in which your theme is installed

These would be located in:

Wordpress_root > wp_content > themes > your theme

The files in here could the. Be downloaded, modified and reuploaded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭bluemachaveli

You more than likely need an account with higher access level. Contact the admin and get them to up your access.

@lee3155

I can't seem to find Wordpress_root > wp_content > themes > your theme in FTP...

I think that possibly I may not have the admin level?

• Advertisement

@lee3155

I can't seem to find Wordpress_root > wp_content > themes > your theme in FTP...

I think that possibly I may not have the admin level?

Sound's like it alright, bst off to try bluemachaveli's idea and request your permissions be set higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

If you do have the correct permissions it could be that the page content is being generated either by the theme (either in widgets, hardcoded into the theme files, or in a slider), by plugins (less likely) or from custom fields (less likely). Look in the widgets (under Appearance), ask the developer, or if they used a premium theme you could look up the documentation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭fcrossen

Should be: (wordpress-root)/wp-content/themes

Also the folder may be elsewhere. See:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Editing_wp-config.php#Moving_wp-content

Thanks for the replies.

I think as a result of not having permissions I may be running into the same problem here:

Looking through Google Webmaster Tools, I noticed a few alerts for duplicate title tags and the likes. These would not be any of the main pages, but inner pages that have been added by someone else over the last week.

However, when I am logged into Wordpress, and I click "pages", I can only see the list of 9 main pages that would be accessed from the main tab on the homepage. I cannot seem to find the new inner pages that have been added?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭fcrossen

when I am logged into Wordpress, and I click "pages", I can only see the list of 9 main pages that would be accessed from the main tab on the homepage. I cannot seem to find the new inner pages that have been added?

Are you logged in an an administrator or a more restricted user?

• Advertisement
Advertisement