Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

uploading large files to a website?

Options
  • 13-06-2012 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi guys,

I have a website I'm planning on 'officially' going live in August. The most important part of the site is a file upload feature. Currently, I'm asking customers to download filezilla FTP client to allow them upload large files directly to my server (30 - 60min video clips etc.).

I'm wondering, is it possible to put a tidy file upload form on the website that will accept such large files?? The idea of having people download the FTP client is quite offputting like..

I know there's the work wanted superthread which I must use if I look for help, so if this is possible, I expect I'll be posting more detail on that thread.

thanks for any advice.. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

I presume you are using PHP ?

If so then if uploading a large file you will probably get a timeout error.

Take a look at your php.ini and change your max_execution_time value and that should allow for a longer execution time.

If the file is really large then a flash uploaded or a JavaScript one with a progress bar may also help!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

You should also increase your PHP max_upload_size and max_post_size. You can set these in your .htaccess if you don't have access to php.ini - if you add them in .htaccess you should prefix them with "php_value" like this:
    php_value upload_max_filesize 64M
    php_value post_max_size 64M
    php_value max_execution_time 200
    php_value max_input_time 200

etc.

You may need to experiment with different values for both size and time variables.

HTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 colm_ei

thanks guys for the advice..

I'm only learning as I go along, so wasn't sure this was even possible. When I typed this, I never even heard of php.imi's :p..

I was linked to a script for this, and will look to edit it with everythin ye advised here..

thanks a lot..

Advertisement