Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

problem with docks

• 13-06-2012 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

my silage is almosy fit to cut and there is a lot of docks in it. what is the best way to get rid of them is spraying them after the silage has been taken off it? is there a good spray out any help would be great

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

The docks are gone to seed at present so after cutting silage wait for regrowths. When the docks are are developed spray with High Load Micram 5L cost about 85 euro's it will do 4HA (10 acres). You may have to spray next year as well if so do in May after you close the silage ground. takes a while to get docks under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

The docks are gone to seed at present so after cutting silage wait for regrowths. When the docks are are developed spray with High Load Micram 5L cost about 85 euro's it will do 4HA (10 acres). You may have to spray next year as well if so do in May after you close the silage ground. takes a while to get docks under control.

well pudsey,

do stock need to be taken off the land for/after spraying?
    is there any available where stock can stay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭leoch

i think its redshank in threw my silage ground the fert is on 3/4 weeks should i spray with something now or would it knock back the silage too much i was thinking of putting on that mcpa stuff for rushes would it do wat u think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

well pudsey,

do stock need to be taken off the land for/after spraying?
    is there any available where stock can stay?

keep cattle off sprayed ground for a minimum of 5/6days. Its longer if the ground is to be mowed.... 2wks. The reason for this is to allow the docks time to get the chemical into the roots. pointless spraying docks that have stemed out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Eagle is a good but expensive spray. Have used it a few times with very good results. I found waiting and spraying the aftergrass to give very good results.

Spray 7-10days before you let the cattle in. The docks need to be leafy, if they start growing shoots again you have missed the boat. Top and wait for regrowth

Docks are not a one year, one spray fix. The trick is to keep on top of them. Keeping them under control when there are only a few and they are small is much easier than firefighting when they have taken over. But it all costs money.

Also great merit in cutting your silage ground before the June bank holiday. It doesn't weaken them but at least they are gone before seed ripens and they will not be multiplying.

• Advertisement

With most sprays cattle need to be kept out for for 4-5 day as most of these sprays are residual this means that the herbside needs to get into the roots of the plant to kill it.

From Op post I am presuming that it is meadow that has not been reseeded for 8-10 years+ the value of the clover would be minimum. Micram will kill other broad leave weeds look at the data sheet before you buy have not got to hand at present.

If it was reseeded pasture with good clover I go for eagle but not on old pasture

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭pmct

Ya it hasn't been reseeded for a long time it is badly in needed of it but I am afraid if I disturb the ground it will make the problem worst

pmct wrote: »
    Ya it hasn't been reseeded for a long time it is badly in needed of it but I am afraid if I disturb the ground it will make the problem worst

If you decide to reseed maybe forget about clover it gives you more options with sprays you can use D50 at early seedling stage. Undersown or legumex are good but you have to be on the ball when spraying to kill weeds at seedling stage and to let grass and clover survive and then to keep on top of docks as muckit explains.

Topping and cutting silage early is a good control method along with the use of sprays.

Advertisement