Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Applying to a school you have previously worked in...

• 13-06-2012 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi, I'm applying to a school I have recently worked in and I was just wondering whats the protocol? The main issue is around referees and the written reference, as the current prinicpal is one of my referees. I dont know if I should leave out her name and written reference out as she knows me and what shes written. But then the referee Id put in her place probably doesnt remember writing a letter of recommedation for me. Also if I'm called to interview, I'm also really nervous about questions around discipline issues.. they know I had a major blow up with one student, who just spent 10 min shouting while I tried to maintain order. How do I protray that in a good light? I know weve all had situations like it but this is the first time I might be interviewed by people who have seen me in a school enviornment.

So.. any pointers from teachers who have been in a similar situation would be really appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

I wouldn't mention that incident. The board are unlikely to be aware of it. Keep it positive. You could underline the importance of following school procedures and point out that you know the school's procedures. If you were pushed you could say that you have learned from previous mistakes i.e letting situations escalate or not spotting a student getting worked up until it was too late or simply not asking for help until a situation got out of hand. I avoided clearly saying that I had worked in a school I was interviewing in until the principal (Sec of the BOM) pointed it out. I had him as a referee but I didn't produce written references. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

vamos! wrote: »
    I wouldn't mention that incident. The board are unlikely to be aware of it. Keep it positive. You could underline the importance of following school procedures and point out that you know the school's procedures. If you were pushed you could say that you have learned from previous mistakes i.e letting situations escalate or not spotting a student getting worked up until it was too late or simply not asking for help until a situation got out of hand. I avoided clearly saying that I had worked in a school I was interviewing in until the principal (Sec of the BOM) pointed it out. I had him as a referee but I didn't produce written references. Good luck!

Oh i wouldnt bring it up unless I was specifically asked but its something I know could come up... Was thinking I could turn it around as an instance where giving a student a clean slate really improved the students involvement in the class and relate that back to their code of behaviour. I'm probably just over thinking things.

I would definately put my experience in this school near the top of my CV and say a bit about my involvement in the school and classes there. But did you name the principal who was interviewing you as a referee on your CV? I dont know why but I just feel dodgy bout that... Like you not expressly saying that you had worked in the school before.. I dont want them to think that Im expecting special treatment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭whirlwind

I asked my principal if i should use him as a reference on my application to the same school and he said of course I should. Also on the application form i mentioned that my previous exprience included working in this school, but i didnt dwell too much on it. I plan to mention it the interview as well because surely its an advantage.
    But i would be careful not to be seen to be looking for special treatment as Lestat as said

Any thoughts would be welcome

Advertisement