Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Idiot vandals wreck 5,500-year-old Meath monument

• 13-06-2012 8:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭

An historic monument featuring ancient Irish writing has had the almighty crap beaten out of it by at least one mindless idiot at the Hill of Tara in Meath.

The Lia Fáil stone once served as the coronation place for the High Kings of Tara, but now lies in a much less regal state having been battered at least 11 time with a hammer.

"These monuments are a fundamental part of our shared heritage and history, and I condemn in the strongest terms the damage that has been caused to this monument," he told the Irish Times.

None of the four sides of the 5,500-year-old standing stone were spared and the granite face was severely damaged. The vandalism was discovered last weekend, but it's not known when the moronic act was committed.

Arts Minister Jimmy Deenihan has predictably condemned the vandals, but there precious little he can do at this stage. It's not yet clear how serious the damage is, but a archaeologist from the National Monuments Service has examined it and removed fragments.

http://www.joe.ie/news-politics/current-affairs/idiot-vandals-wreck-5500-year-old-meath-monument-0025841-1

They should be locked away for life.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Sure nobody cares about heritage these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Sure nobody cares about heritage these days

I do :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

profitius wrote: »

Arts Minister Jimmy Deenihan has predictably condemned the vandals

Jesus, he really went medieval on their asses!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Seeing as the govt wrecked the Boyne Valley, it's no surprise that others don't respect the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

"Unemployed Stone mason in drumming up work scandal.":D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Pottler wrote: »
    "Unemployed Stone mason in drumming up work scandal.":D

Hilarious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Arts Minister?

Now whats the point in that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

The crime should be the punishment. 11 belts of a lump hammer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

I often wondered why there was never any real security around irreplaceable pieces of heritage - I live near the Treaty stone in Limerick and I see graffiti being scrubbed off of it every other week by some poor fella. It would only take one absolute f**king idiot to damage it permanently with a hammer.

Who's failing here - the parents or our schools?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭amacca

Arts Minister?

Now whats the point in that?

He has secret powers you couldn't even begin to comprehend...........shhhh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭amacca

I often wondered why there was never any real security around irreplaceable pieces of heritage - I live near the Treaty stone in Limerick and I see graffiti being scrubbed off of it every other week by some poor fella. It would only take one absolute f**king idiot to damage it permanently with a hammer.

I blame the parents Joe!
    LordSmeg wrote: »
    The crime should be the punishment. 11 belts of a lump hammer.

Into the stones................ (genitalia)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭Markcheese

It's a protest against the celts or even the pre-celts, I mean what have the Celts ever done for us....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Parents, ALWAYS the parents.

People that blame schools are lazy useless parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I do :(

Heritage is yesterday's news, man. get with the times.. invest in markets and speculation like.. lets get Ireland working.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

Make me sick to hear this. Its our heritage. If it was left to these creatures we would be still living in the dark ages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Why aren't sturdy, durable, see through structures just erected around heritage monuments like these ?

Like ffs .. the fact some shower of scumbags were able to destroy a priceless heritage site speaks volume about negligence from this so called "arts minister".

Frustrating isn't the word.

danniemcq wrote: »
    Parents, ALWAYS the parents.

People that blame schools are lazy useless parents.

The only thing is though - are the parents idiots too? Obviously, yes.
    So, how do we break the cycle of stupidity?
    I liked the idea before of parents doing time aswell for stuff their little darlings did to public property.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

The only thing is though - are the parents idiots too? Obviously, yes.
    So, how do we break the cycle of stupidity?
    I liked the idea before of parents doing time aswell for stuff their little darlings did to public property.

March parents and children up and down the road with a massive sandwich board sign saying what they did.

Shame is one of the most powerful weapons

Yeah this sh.it is terrible, and can't understand why some scumbag would do this BUT....

did anyone just see the Yank wan on the news crying over it?!?!:eek::eek::eek::D:D

March parents and children up and down the road with a massive sandwich board sign saying what they did.

I quite like that idea, I hope they catch this idiot and televise his/her shame.
    They should go traditional with the rotten veg and cow poo thrown at them in the streets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 mstorres

Disgraceful, a complete disregard for our history and heritage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Housing developers, farmers, the GAA, they all messed up monuments. Idiots with hammers do a lot less damage. The relationship between the NRA and Irish archaeology tells a story all of its own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

A handful of good-for-nothings ruining things for everyone else... as usual.
    Sickened but not surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

The minister is a useless prick. Should offer some kind of incentive to shop the dumb fckers in. No doubt they videotaped their spree to show their mates so they shoulnd be too hard to find.

I like how we can get up and touch the monuments here. Putting perspex around them all so Anto cant get a shot would detract from them and be costly.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Trigger13222

kowloon wrote: »
    Housing developers, farmers, the GAA, they all messed up monuments. Idiots with hammers do a lot less damage. The relationship between the NRA and Irish archaeology tells a story all of its own.

Seriously what are you rambling on about?

WindSock wrote: »
    The minister is a useless prick. Should offer some kind of incentive to shop the dumb fckers in. No doubt they videotaped their spree to show their mates so they shoulnd be too hard to find.

I like how we can get up and touch the monuments here. Putting perspex around them all so Anto cant get a shot would detract from them and be costly.

Yeah 10k for the culprit to be found dead or alive is what Jimmy Dennihan should of down, I'm all for the TD bashing but wtf do you want him to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Minister Deenihan need not worry the Tuatha Dé Danann will sort them out in due course & their seed, breed and generation will pay dearly for this vandalism. Wouldn't want to be in their shoes some dark night & the Tuatha have long, long memories & ingenious punishments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

surely monument is a bit much for a big bloody rock in the ground with some scratches on it

its not like they dynamited newgrange

I'm all for the TD bashing but wtf do you want him to do?

Offer an incentive or reward on info leading to the identities of the crims. I just said it there in my last post which you addressed there in yours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Offer an incentive or reward on info leading to

Several witnesses have said bahh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

surely monument is a bit much for a big bloody rock in the ground with some scratches on it

its not like they dynamited newgrange

It's the Lia Fail! It's not a rock in the ground with some scratches in it. Do you know nothing about our history, or Celtic mythology.

This type of wanton stupidity and destruction really annoys me.

squod wrote: »
    Several witnesses have said bahh

Not much use in hoping for a definate line of inquiry with sheep.

Offer an incentive or reward on info leading to the identities of the crims. I just said it there in my last post which you addressed there in yours.

Where do you draw the line at offering a reward for catching the offenders, damage like this happens all over the country. It would be more appropriate for the guards to try catch them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Seeing as the govt wrecked the Boyne Valley, it's no surprise that others don't respect the area.
    arts minister dosent care/will do nothing. and i actually laughed out loud when i think of the guards getting involved...i brought the vandalism of a local 14c castle to the attention of our county heritage office...HERITAGE officer in fact...and they just completely passed the buck...mmnahh...dont care response...but hey...lay on a dinner and a photographer and the same people will bleat on about our heritage and tourism...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I quite like that idea, I hope they catch this idiot and televise his/her shame.
    They should go traditional with the rotten veg and cow poo thrown at them in the streets.[/Quote

You can't do that what about the scrotes human rights....?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

A lot of these objects are just counterfeits or make up anyway. Newgrange, for instance, is heavily renovated ands looks nothing like it would have done 5000 years ago - a lot of the renovation design is just guess work. The Céide Fields in Mayo were just invented and never actually existed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,135 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The minister is a useless prick.

A lot of people can vouch for that, but he still manages to elected as a TD in Listowel every time, and has even been voted "Kerry Person of The Year", for some reason which escapes me.

He'll do what he normally does after issuing an announcement, feck all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Callan57 wrote: »
    Minister Deenihan need not worry the Tuatha Dé Danann will sort them out in due course & their seed, breed and generation will pay dearly for this vandalism. Wouldn't want to be in their shoes some dark night & the Tuatha have long, long memories & ingenious punishments.

Maybe Danu will call on Sláine to have a word with the vandal. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

all those ghost estates to trash and they out of the way to find some ancient stones, kids these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭retroactive

One has to ask "Why?" This appears to have been completely senseless and unmotivated.

Also, using a hammer to destroy a rock? Whomever is responsible wasn't the brightest spark. It isn't very close to anything either - They must have walked out to it with a hammer and the intention of causing damage, again why? Only swung eleven time too.. smacks of laziness after all that preparation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

There is something abjectly pathetic about the whole thing. It doesn't even make sense when you figure drink into the mix.
    It's not shocking though. Plenty of apes roaming the streets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,276 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Kess73 wrote: »
    Maybe Danu will call on Sláine to have a word with the vandal. :)

WARP SPASM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

I imagine it's a religious nutter trying to delay the apocalypse or something - the Lia Fail features in lots of New Agey horse****, and I doubt your average vandal would bother travelling there to smash some old rock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Ahh now, it's not like what happens in Meath matters to anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 gavinbell

how many people are unemployed in this country? how many people have to leave this county every day through no fault of their own, leaving their families through necessity to havea standard of living, a sense of pride, a roof over their head.......and you are talking **** about some poxy stone in smelly meath....is that stone going to put food on somebodys table. get a life or crawl back in your hole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

gavinbell wrote: »
    how many people are unemployed in this country? how many people have to leave this county every day through no fault of their own, leaving their families through necessity to havea standard of living, a sense of pride, a roof over their head.......and you are talking **** about some poxy stone in smelly meath....is that stone going to put food on somebodys table. get a life or crawl back in your hole.

FFS :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

gavinbell wrote: »
    how many people have to leave this county every day through no fault of their own, leaving their families through necessity to havea standard of living, a sense of pride, a roof over their head........

best decision I ever made, you should try it! Maybe all that resentment will disappear once you're livin it up abroad...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 gavinbell

great contribution wattle. muppet

• Advertisement
Advertisement