Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Idiot vandals wreck 5,500-year-old Meath monument

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Ambient Occlusion

gavinbell wrote: »
    how many people are unemployed in this country? how many people have to leave this county every day through no fault of their own, leaving their families through necessity to havea standard of living, a sense of pride, a roof over their head.......and you are talking **** about some poxy stone in smelly meath....is that stone going to put food on somebodys table. get a life or crawl back in your hole.
    Infallible logic here! I agree, we should have free reign to smash up whatever doesn't benefit us personally with a lump hammer. Caravaggio's The Taking of Christ... what has it ever done for me? It's just a piece of canvas with paint on it, it's not putting food on my table. I may as well throw a cup of coffee over it. Newgrange is nice but it doesn't provide me with employment. We may as well level it. The Book of Kells, sure it's only a few pieces of paper with fancy scribbles it'd see better use in a fireplace.
    The stone provides tourism and indirectly benefits you via it's contribution the national economy. It should be criminal to have such narrow-minded outlook as this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

how many people are unemployed in this country? how many people have to leave this county every day through no fault of their own, leaving their families through necessity to havea standard of living, a sense of pride, a roof over their head.......and you are talking **** about some poxy stone in smelly meath....is that stone going to put food on somebodys table. get a life or crawl back in your hole.
    Here's a novel idea, why don't we sell the country's antiquities and the rights to the country's heritage sites?

It sure beats preserving them for cultural/historical reasons and tourism. That doesn't make any sense at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

great contribution wattle. muppet

Mod

Troll Banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

In before Godwins law

Who ever did this should be given a job in a quarry full time breaking rocks for the remainder if his/her days and when they eventually become too old and infirm to break any more rocks they should be stoned to death with said rocks. I'll happily cast the first stone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭oxo_

Some amount of waffle in the media about this shíte.
    It's not even the real or original stone, it's a replacement for the original which was "loaned" to England to crown their kings and which they then refused to return. Apparently that too was stolen by Scottish students, whereabouts now unknown.
    This one that was damaged is the phallic replacement introduced by pagans for whatever weird ritual crap they did in their days.
    It means nothing, it symbolises nothing it is and was only ever nothing more than a large stone cock.

Probably some bald bearded feminist that did it then.

The lia fail, stone of destiny, if you are to believe the stories of it's origin, was the stone with which Jesus Christ laid his head upon when he died. Unless you also want to believe now that that stone was a giant penis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Seeing as the govt wrecked the Boyne Valley, it's no surprise that others don't respect the area.

Well thats bullshit for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

Can it now be upgraded to a class 2 relic Ted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Maybe not vandals - Have the gardai ruled out vikings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Maybe not vandals - Have the gardai ruled out vikings?

or visigoths?

but seriously, shocking piece of news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Idiot vandals wreck 5,500 year old giant stone penis in Meath. There is even a line of jizz down the side.

Though seriously, those lads or lassies need a clip around the ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Did anyone see the two american nut jobs on RTE news though? One was crying because she visits the stone every year. I must say that was funny, shame about the stone though. Whoever did it is probably enjoying the attention its getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Looks like a penis. :L

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Looks like a penis. :L

Ireland's biggest knob...

Bono comes a close second though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Seriously what are you rambling on about?

Just saying people with hammers are one of the smaller threats to Irish monuments. I'm sure you understood my post though, so no need to get pissy.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Seeing as the govt wrecked the Boyne Valley, it's no surprise that others don't respect the area.
    If you're on about the M3, you're wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Why aren't sturdy, durable, see through structures just erected around heritage monuments like these ?

Like ffs .. the fact some shower of scumbags were able to destroy a priceless heritage site speaks volume about negligence from this so called "arts minister".

Frustrating isn't the word.

I absolutely hate when this is done to monuments and I don't blame the minister at all. True the site has now been vandalised but encasing ancient monuments in plastic is not the way forward. You can walk up and touch a piece of Irish history encasing it in plastic because of one idiot when nothing has happened to it in thousands of years seams overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭EI_Flyboy

oxo_ wrote: »
    Some amount of waffle in the media about this shíte.
    It's not even the real or original stone, it's a replacement for the original which was "loaned" to England to crown their kings and which they then refused to return. Apparently that too was stolen by Scottish students, whereabouts now unknown.
    This one that was damaged is the phallic replacement introduced by pagans for whatever weird ritual crap they did in their days.
    It means nothing, it symbolises nothing it is and was only ever nothing more than a large stone cock.

Close but not quite. We leant it to the Scots, the English took it from them as spoils of conquest, installed in the coronation throne in Westminster from which a group of Scottish nationalists removed it(coincidently with a sledgehammer) and hid it. The English Gardí claim they found it buried in a field and it was returned to Westminster. Or was it? Some Scots claim the recovered stone was a fake and the original remains at large or maybe at Scone church. OR! The Scots returned the stone to friends in Ireland for safe keeping before the English invaded and thus it was never in Westminster at all. Supposedly a ship manifest from the time carries reference to a large rock of undefined purpose. This rock was hidden in the friend's castle and is now well known worldwide as the famous Blarney stone which is pretty much what this whole hullabaloo is a load of!

The defaced monument is not the original Lia Fáil so it doesn't carry the same weight as defacing a 5,500 year old monument but it is a crass act of vandalism and a huge insult to all Irish people everywhere. Idiots is the only way to describe them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

If it had been a statue to some or other English king, you can bet Alan Shatter would be leaving no stone unturned to catch the culprits.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Conor_M1990

kowloon wrote: »
    Housing developers, farmers, the GAA, they all messed up monuments. Idiots with hammers do a lot less damage. The relationship between the NRA and Irish archaeology tells a story all of its own.

Do either of you live in the Area ?? The M3 Goes no where near Tara its a good 4 or 5 km away and you can't see it from the hill. Most people in Meath where in favour of the Motorway and it was Protesters who wheren't from the area who held it up the development of the road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

Interesting that it was struck with a hammer, rather than than defaced with spray cans. Why would anyone bother? Bus shelters are easier targets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    If it had been a statue to some or other English king, you can bet Alan Shatter would be leaving no stone unturned to catch the culprits.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Change the record man. We get it, you're a shinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

Fe Fi Fo Fum

I smell the stink of a dirty uncultured fool.

I see history and cultural education is lost on some within this country, the same ones who can't tie their shoe laces or go round beating everything within a few yards with a lump hammer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Coles

Who ever did this is probably just some thick kid. No idea of their own identity and without have the faintest idea of what they're doing. Probably even sick in the head. No other explanation for it. While I genuinely hope they die before the end of the day, I think it's probably more appropriate that they get professional help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

The kind of people who would do this are the kind of people who would burn books. Absolutely sickening to see something like this happen to a piece of heritage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Shryke wrote: »
    There is something abjectly pathetic about the whole thing. It doesn't even make sense when you figure drink into the mix.
    It's not shocking though. Plenty of apes roaming the streets.
    physcos out in remote places carrying hammers...great..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

It wasn't kids it, it wasn't' done for the craic.
    Pieces of the stone were hammered off and taken away.

Chances are they will be on fecking ebay or traded as occult artifacts.
    Who ever did it, knew damn well what they were at and were there a purpose to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

oxo_ wrote: »
    The lia fail, stone of destiny, if you are to believe the stories of it's origin, was the stone with which Jesus Christ laid his head upon when he died.
    Great, lets update the calendar to 5500AD so, I've always wanted to see what the future looked like.

I'd love to catch up with the shites that did this, original or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Sure nobody cares about heritage these days
    Oddly enough i would hold more belief in Cuchulain holding off the armies of Connaughtwith only the Gae Bulga(invincible Spear)than the fairy tales of the old Testament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

kowloon wrote: »
    Housing developers, farmers, the GAA, they all messed up monuments. Idiots with hammers do a lot less damage. The relationship between the NRA and Irish archaeology tells a story all of its own.

Quite true, but unfortunately when certain 'development' was given state sanction legitimacy, it apparently was not vandalism.
    Seriously what are you rambling on about?

I'm afraid you're the only one that is rambling there, becasue Kowloon makes a very good point in their post. If you can't grasp/understand a point made in a post, then don't bother replying. Because invariably you'll end up posting something stupid, which of course you did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Did anyone see the two american nut jobs on RTE news though? One was crying because she visits the stone every year. I must say that was funny, shame about the stone though. Whoever did it is probably enjoying the attention its getting.

The first one was a total spacer it should be in the cool vids thread:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 RossNolan

Sharrow wrote: »
    It wasn't kids it, it wasn't' done for the craic.
    Pieces of the stone were hammered off and taken away.

Chances are they will be on fecking ebay or traded as occult artifacts.
    Who ever did it, knew damn well what they were at and were there a purpose to do it.

That's what I thought. I wouldn't be shocked if it was the same mob who took St. Lawrence's heart a few months ago.

Shocking vanalism whatever the reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Show Time wrote: »
    Oddly enough i would hold more belief in Cuchulain holding off the armies of Connaughtwith only the Gae Bulga(invincible Spear)than the fairy tales of the old Testament.

Tbh it sounds a lot more fun then that miserable bastard of book about sinning.
    Same with the greeks. Their beliefs had gods riding all over the place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Conor_M1990

Quite true, but unfortunately when certain 'development' was given state sanction legitimacy, it apparently was not vandalism.

I'm afraid you're the only one that is rambling there, becasue Kowloon makes a very good point in their post. If you can't grasp/understand a point made in a post, then don't bother replying. Because invariably you'll end up posting something stupid, which of course you did.

You haven't a clue what you are on about neither of you do

1: The M3 motorway was badly needed as the old N3 was one of the busiest roads in the country.

2. The Motorway cannot be seem or heard from the Hill of Tara and the views are unspoiled.

3. To be fair to Meath County Council they kept Planning under control during the boom It was extremely difficult to get planning in Rural areas and there isnt massive ghost estates around the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

My Guess is that the culprit was an earth mother extremist who by defacing the monument was trying to symbolically castrate the Phallocentric Patriarchal imagery of heirarchy and 'Kingship' that is implanted upon the natural rolling female egalitarian female landscape of Tara and Skryne ;)

Serious part below :(

As I can recall within the route selection phase (which I think occurs before the full EIS) the contracted archaeology company considered the finally chosen route as one of the most harmful in terms of heritage impact.

It may be pretty well hidden in terms of visibility from Tara, but it does bisect the valley between Tara and Skryne so it does impact quite badly in terms of a landscape viewpoint.

Is there no CCTV coverage on Tara anyway? I mean the OPW have the resources to have a guy at Poulnabrone all day through the tourist season (apparently to prevent things like the idiots from Paddywagon holding competitions for how many could stand on the capstone :eek: )

Just my opinion but I found Tara massively underwhelming even with a proper understanding of the complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 joebstarsurfer

you dont have to be Irish to not give a fck but it sure helps.The same people will get emotional when Ireland loose the football they cant play.

Bad joke was it the Tallaband .

Might aswell have a little car and addidas tracksuit as a monument to Skanger Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

RossNolan wrote: »
    That's what I thought. I wouldn't be shocked if it was the same mob who took St. Lawrence's heart a few months ago.

Shocking vanalism whatever the reason.

we might not be able to do anything about it but the useless idiots in the dail could at least introduce a very long sentence e.g Life Sentence with no chance of parole plus stiff fines for someone caught doing this. The wider the net the greater the chances of catching anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

This kind of thing makes my blood boil!! This damage and the damage or theft of religious artefacts is one and the same. It's desperately sad to think that NOTHING can be left unguarded - even a lum of stone that has no actual monetary value. These people would use the Book of Kells to wipe their ass with - make mo mistake.

I'm very much against corporal or capital punishment but in my weaker moments I think I could disembowel people who damage our shared heritage with a sharpened hurley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

El Siglo wrote: »
    The kind of people who would do this are the kind of people who would burn books. Absolutely sickening to see something like this happen to a piece of heritage.

12,000 suspects in the RDS at the moment.

fenris wrote: »
    12,000 suspects in the RDS at the moment.

Idiotic remark there fenris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Do either of you live in the Area ?? The M3 Goes no where near Tara its a good 4 or 5 km away and you can't see it from the hill. Most people in Meath where in favour of the Motorway and it was Protesters who wheren't from the area who held it up the development of the road

I'm not referring to Tara, more archaeology/monuments in general.
    It's quite expensive to have an archaeologist or two working for you and it can cost a developer or an individual serious time and money. You can understand why someone building without planning permission or the likes might not want that souterrain in their back garden drawing too much attention. As an example: A mound near where my folks lived was flattened overnight fo a pitch.

It's not surprising that the archaeology can be 'overlooked' or rushed through. There's a lot of pressure on archaeologists to get their work done quickly, and seeing as it's developers who hire them there's a conflict of interest. A meticulous archaeologist won't see as much repeat business as the company willing to rush things a bit to meet a deadline.

There's a lot of accusations of 'holding back progress'. I understand why people feel this way, but development should be thought out carefully. Once it's gone it's gone.

Idiotic remark there fenris.

Really - a conference full of fundamentalists from a cult with a demonstrated intolerance of other beliefs and the systematic eradication of any other belief and the persons holding that belief, no chance of finding a nutball doing "gods work" among that bunch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Prime example of one of the main reasons I do not call myself an Atheist^

fenris wrote: »
    Really - a conference full of fundamentalists from a cult with a demonstrated intolerance of other beliefs and the systematic eradication of any other belief and the persons holding that belief, no chance of finding a nutball doing "gods work" among that bunch?

Yes. Really.

I'm willing to stick my neck out and say none of those sweet old dears, ICA members, gold pioneer pin wearers, filipino flag wavers or cute, young american nuns is responsible for a hammer attack on this momument - or that they are capable of anything like that.

Call me crazy........:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Prime example of one of the main reasons I do not call myself an Atheist^
    Presumably the only reason not to call yourself an atheist is you believe in one or more gods?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

How hard would it be to have security patrol these sites and have CCTV in the area.
    The reality is that there are idiots all over this country who would consider destroying anything as '' mad craic ''.
    If we care about these structures/monuments we could at least protect them:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭_Gawd_

Anyone else notice the monument looks like a giant c0ck?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

sure didn't they build a road through tara

Yes. Really.

I'm willing to stick my neck out and say none of those sweet old dears, ICA members, gold pioneer pin wearers, filipino flag wavers or cute, young american nuns is responsible for a hammer attack on this momument - or that they are capable of anything like that.

Call me crazy........:cool:

And there is so much else that those sweet old chaps and ladies etc. did and hid that nobody belives that they were capable of. - blinkered much

• Advertisement
Advertisement