Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

exam structure.

• 13-06-2012 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

the structure of the leaving cert seriously needs to be reviewed.particularly the higher level history paper.currently at higher level,students have a mere two hours and fifty minutes to complete the strenuous exam.the exam consists of three 100 mark essays and a 100 mark documents section.altough the exam questions are very predictable,students still only have around 35 minutes to spend on each essay question and 45 minutes for the documents.two hours and fifthy minutes is simply not enough time to produce a three quality essays.exam time at least needs to be extended or else cut one essay from the exam.this is simply my opinion and feel free to discuss.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Duffman K

theres 170 minutes, 4 questions @100 marks each,

40 mins per question leaving 10 mins for before and after reading.

In 40 minutes you can write about 4 decent pages(more depending on handwriting size)

Plenty of time:)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 J.new

Ah wouldn't history be so much easier with an extra 20 minutes (a girl can dream)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 stevo873

I thinks its ridiculous that for higher level business you are given three hours where as for history only 2 hours and 50. Even 10 minutes extra would make a world of difference. The history exam seems to be more about the regurgitation of notes which I believe to be pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

It is a bit, but now that I'm finished and happy with what I've done....Couldn't give a **** :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

History needs to be restructured, they're testing how well you can write an essay, not your knowledge of history.

Business could do with more time

Dunno why exams are timed anyway, in the real world you're not timed to such extremes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

HowAreWe wrote: »
    It is a bit, but now that I'm finished and happy with what I've done....Couldn't give a **** :cool:

This tbh. I mean the fact it's shorter than biology is ridic but it's done now and I don't need to worry anymore :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Freewheelin_

Well, today I did it and had 10 minutes to spare at the end. I haven't been writing essays all year (in fact barely any) and in my christmas exam in 5th year I only got one essay in 2 hours, although looking back I've no idea how. Just gotta write fast. If you know your stuff and aren't thinking too much it's easy enough. The history paper today was brilliant so I barely had to think during the whole exam.

But ultimately, I agree, 10-20 minutes extra and I'd say the numbers finishing would skyrocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭darryl2010

well im glad my views are supported then :D we could difinitly do with an extra few minutes,would definitly benefit thousands of students!!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

Business is horrible.

I reckon I could go up a grade in everything with more time. Most subjects I've done so far I know I left marks behind due to time pressure. I need to think for a second before writing, and I'm a relatively slow writer!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Darren.993

Geography is the worst for timing imo. I completely ran out of time on that exam and left out 2 entire 30 mark questions while half-doing the rest to try and beat the clock.

• Advertisement

im the same,during that history exam i barely had time to breath :/

geography was another one i found hard because of the timing!!

Advertisement