Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant Qts - moving back in with parents?

Options
  • 13-06-2012 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help me - I am returning to my second year of college after deferring for a year. I currently live with my partner and baby but we may have to move back in with my parents for financial reasons.

I got approved for the grant last year and was told I just need to send in a renewal form this year. I am wondering how I will be assessed if I move back home. I will be paying rent to my parents. My partner is working full time so that's what income they assessed me on originally - would they now assess me on my parents or my partners income?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi Moodswing.

Generally the means test for the grant is based on your income and circumstances for the last full tax year. So for you to attend in 2012 they will look for details of income etc based on where you were living on 1st Oct 2011.

You can declare a change in circumstances if those changes are likely to be permanent but be aware that there is a rule in the grant scheme that says that if you live with parents or guardians then their income must be included on the grant assessment form irregardless of mature student status etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭moodswing

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Hi Moodswing.

Generally the means test for the grant is based on your income and circumstances for the last full tax year. So for you to attend in 2012 they will look for details of income etc based on where you were living on 1st Oct 2011.

You can declare a change in circumstances if those changes are likely to be permanent but be aware that there is a rule in the grant scheme that says that if you live with parents or guardians then their income must be included on the grant assessment form irregardless of mature student status etc.

Thanks paperclip2 - wont be moving back in with them until October so will have to see how that affects things next year! :)

Advertisement