Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ants. Don't like them.

Options
  • 13-06-2012 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Ants are eating my broad bean plants! HEEEEEEELLLLPPPPPP!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

There are ant specific nematodes available from Mr Middletons in Dublin

http://www.mrmiddleton.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1073&category_id=167&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=62

I have never found ants to eat crops - so its a surprise, be sure it is the ants that are doing the damage before you wipe them out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

Try these before the expense of the nematodes

Cinnamon Sticks & Garlic Cloves
    Place cinnamon sticks or garlic in areas where you have seen ants enter, such as in window tracks, by doors and in corners around your home. While garlic cloves aren’t as aromatically pleasing as cinnamon sticks, they work really well. Just peel and slice a few cloves and place them where you notice the ants.

Vinegar
    Place white vinegar or apple cider vinegar in a spray bottle and spray around areas where you have seen ants (not onto the plants). The fungicidal and insecticidal properties in the vinegar help prevent ants.

Black Pepper
    Sprinkle black pepper where you see ants. The ants will immediately scatter. Pay attention to where they run; if you find the nest hit it with boiling water

Mint
    Mint destroys the smelling capabilities of ants. Place mint leaves in and around your plants.
    Remember, planting mint is risky - it can become a real problem weed.

The idea is the stronger the smell, the more likely the plant is to keep the ants away:

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭KingKenny77

Thanks a lot! I'll try some of your tips and let you know how I get on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭KingKenny77

It seems the mint is working. I only scattered a few leaves and I havent seen the same activity of ants since. I am STUNNED. Thank you ZuiderZee.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

has the damage to the broad bean plants dropped off too?

• Advertisement
Advertisement