Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scrounging colleague

Options
  • 13-06-2012 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭

I will keep this deliberately vague. This individual and myself have worked in the same companies for 5 years now.
    Six months ago, he asked me for a 900 euro loan. I said I would only lend him 250 euro. That was that. It was paid back on time. Our team leader at that time lent him 150 euro.

Our Team Leader told him quite firmly that he must not do this 'stunt' again. Our team leader has since left the company.
    I now work on a different team to this guy- our original team was dissolved 3 months ago - I am trying to distance myself away from him.
    Today he has asked me for a 400 euro loan.
    I said I'd lend him 250 euro. He agreed to take it.

Has he learnt anything?

I don't want to screw the dude over - but - I've battles to fight too.
    Advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Why did you agree to it if you aren't happy with it?

If you haven't actually given it to him yet, tell him you've changed your mind and point out that you have bills to pay too.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

As above, advice is don't loan him money if you don't want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

thanks for replies so far. no, at this post i haven't given it to him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

No way would I loan a work colleague such a large sum of money.

You've done it once and helped him out then but you're not a bank so he shouldn't be asking again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Tell him no.

I had a friend like that. Always needed money and asking for loans. Eventually I had to cut him lose. But his problems are his problems. He clearly has a job, so should be able to survive, and whatever debt he's running up is probably not on essentials and is him just being wasteful with cash on whatever.

Did he mention what it was for out of interest? 900 quid? And he's taking from multiple sources? Sounds dodgy. Anyway, tell him no, sorry, but you're putting money in a savings account and you can't just withdraw it and your rent / mortgage has just been paid etc. etc. and fob him off. Next time he asks (and he will), tell him that your money goes straight into a savings account and you just keep enough for your own expenses. He should get the message, but at least you have an excuse to just repeat over and over to him to fob him off any time he asks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭montzarella

I think the question I would ask is

"Have you learnt anything?"

I think if you have lent him money once and dont want to do it again, then just dont.

Someone at work before asked me if they could use my credit card to buy something online as they didnt have one, it was a small amount but i still said no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

gugleguy wrote: »
    I don't want to screw the dude over - but - I've battles to fight too.
    Advice?

Yeah, tell him you're a bit short next time and ask if he has a loan of a few quid, ideally git it in before he asks you.

The part about the team lead sounds a bit childish, presumably you are an adult so can stand up for yourself.

And how is not lending the money screwing him?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

I was working with a girl one time. And what she was doing was going to guys with a terrible sob story and looking for loans. She actually borrowed thousands - then she refuses to repay it and leaves the company.

I found out later, that she does this serially. She was living the high life on the money. Some people lent her a huge amount, and when they tried to get it back she threatened them with the guards. The guards told the people to keep away from her. She had a real brass neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,518 ✭✭✭✭looksee

OP, there is no problem, just don't lend it. Point him in the direction of the Credit Union.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Did he mention what it was for out of interest? 900 quid? And he's taking from multiple sources? Sounds dodgy. Anyway, tell him no, sorry, but you're putting money in a savings account and you can't just withdraw it and your rent / mortgage has just been paid etc. etc. and fob him off. Next time he asks (and he will), tell him that your money goes straight into a savings account and you just keep enough for your own expenses. He should get the message, but at least you have an excuse to just repeat over and over to him to fob him off any time he asks.

I disagree tbh, I wouldn't ask him what he needs it for, and I wouldn't make any excuses as to why I can't give it to him. Whether you have savings or bills or whatever is none of his business, just as his personal financial affairs are none of yours.

I'd just say a simple, straightforward "No, sorry, I can't lend it to you." That should be sufficient. If he pushes any further, suggest that he go to a bank.

You don't owe him any explanations as to why you're not willing to lend it to him.

There are only very, very few friends and family members that I'd be comfortable lending money to (or borrowing money from, for that matter.) Definitely not colleagues, and definitely not that amount.

Talk to him as soon as possible, tell him nicely but firmly that it doesn't suit you to lend him the money after all. And leave it at that, don't feel like you have to apologise for not lending it to him - you certainly shouldn't feel obliged to do so, and he should never have asked you in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Just say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

gugleguy wrote: »
    I am trying to distance myself away from him
    You do realise that you'll have to contact him every so often to get the money back? This goes against your goals, so just say no. Bonus of saying no; he no longer sees you as a moneylender friend, and doesn't bother you again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

sent this gent email yesterday friday saying that i'm saddled in debt bla bla bla did'nt realise it. no reply back from him eventhough he was online.
    yup

That's All Folks!

Advertisement