Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experience of the leaving cert

• 13-06-2012 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

how has the leaving cert gone. was it a good experience? Would you repeat?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

Mines went ok so far,

I've resigned myself to not getting my points for my 1st Pref Course.

I haven't a bit of study done for buisness and I am really not in the mood to.

My estimated Results: (All Higher xcept Irish and german)

B1 -GEOG
    B2-ENGLISH
    B3/C1 - MATHS
    A2/B1 - HISTORY
    D3 -PASS IRISH :D

Looking for an A1 in economics on wednesday and a B3 in Buisness tomorrow. German on Friday will be alot of fun, no stress at all for it.

I wouldn't repeat. I'm not just not able to get motivated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

I'm repeating, first time around I came out with 320 with very little study and really relaxed about it, surprised I even got that many points for that little amount of study :L

This time, I'm totally worn out and I don't think I'll do very much better than last year even though I have studied alot more.. :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22 Caffman

I think it went fairly well. I'd love to say it's all overhyped and the media should stop every year but I'll see how it goes!

Not a chance would I repeat, physically wouldnt be able for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

No disappointments so far, apart from my Paper 1 short story, I was unhappy I couldn't show off the flair I'm capable of doing.

I have 3 important exams still to come but so far here are my estimated results:

LCVP - Distinction
    ~~~~~
    English HL - B2
    Maths OL - A2
    Irish OL - C3
    Russian HL - A1

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭robbiep94

subz3r0 wrote: »
    No disappointments so far, apart from my Paper 1 short story, I was unhappy I couldn't show off the flair I'm capable of doing.

I have 3 important exams still to come but so far here are my estimated results:

LCVP - Distinction
    ~~~~~
    English HL - B2
    Maths OL - A2
    Irish OL - C3
    Russian HL - A1

Russian A1? wow:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I haven't a notion of repeating because I am this year. I don't remember it be as tiring as this, maybe I'm just getting old... :pac:

Last year I always said that hypothetically, I'd repeat if my whole year repeated so it'd actually be good craic. :D I also loved the sound of the new Irish course, the very small changes to the English course, and only having to do six subjects giving me loads of frees. ;)

Only decided to repeat at the start of September. 'Twas grand. :P

Edit: Pessimistic Predicted Grades So Far:
    English - C2
    Maths - C3
    Irish - C1
    French - B2

I'd be absolutely gutted if I got any of those grades, last year I got 4 Bs, a C and a D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

The second time doing the leaving cert. I won't be doing it again for sure.
    Although last year I was saying all year round no matter what happens .
    "I'll never repeat the leaving cert" and here I am now :).

I've actually enjoyed the experience this time around and knowing I'm going to do so much better because I'm actually studying more. I also had the wrong subjects for last years exams . This years subjects suited me much more.
    I've had a great year . I'm not sure what I've gotten in terms of grades, I don't want to predict anything yet at least until the rest of the exams are over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

Have to say though, it is great craic repeating, and I met some really cool people :D never ever do it a 3rd time though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

So far I don't think it has been so bad. :) This is my first, and only, time doing the Leaving Cert. I only have 2 exams left and providing they go okay I think I'll have a fair chance of getting into my course! So I'm really excited. this is what I'm hoping for:

LCVP: Merit
    Biology: C2
    Geography: B3
    English: B3
    Physics OL: B1
    German: C3

So that'll give me 370. :D

Realistically though, I'd be happy with 340+ because I only need 340 for my course.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

i've found the whole experience horrible to be honest :L i feel nearly dead, but i still have ag sci to go :L the only way i'll be repeating is if i fail irish english or maths, which is possible for english :L i'd be happy with any of my first 3 choices which go from 390 to 500. i've worked out i'll get about 460, that could be a bit lowgraded by me, but if luck is with me maybe 500, don't really see it happening though :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I absolutely couldn't repeat. Hated school. I hate the way it's exactly the same routine every day and I hate the restrictions they impose on us. In my school we're not allowed leave the school at any point during the day without a parent coming in to pick us up, and we have absolutely no responsibility for ourselves or our own education. I just hate it. I've always been willing to do the work, but I hate being given ridiculous homework that doesn't benefit me in any way and then being publicly insulted in class if I don't do it.

I hated German class for years (despite loving German and getting among the top 100 results in the junior cert) because my teacher didn't like me and made a point of keeping me back after class to give out to me.
    One time she kept me back to ask "why didn't you open your book as fast as the others?" Bloody ridiculous, if I were struggling in the subject and she wanted to help me improve it would be one thing.

The excessive focus on appearance in Irish schools is really damaging to students too. In my school they care more about a student's appearance than their wellbeing.

I've also always hated Irish and resented being forced to study it. Overall leaving cert was a bit better as regards subjects than junior cert because I had mostly subjects I liked. Never enjoyed history or home ec much.

...I just basically hate school, hate the leaving cert, the day I graduated was one of the happiest of my life. There's basically no individuality or independent learning allowed in school and being treated like a child has bothered me since primary school.

I quite like most of my subjects though! And I'm confident enough of doing reasonably well in the exams. I'll hopefully get around 560. Can't say how I've gotten on in individual subjects as I haven't done half of my exams yet. I just reeeaaally can't wait to move on to college, I know it will suit me a lot better than the leaving cert (in terms of working independently and having more freedom). So I'm feeling pretty positive right now overall! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

finality wrote: »
    And I'm confident enough of doing reasonably well in the exams. I'll hopefully get around 560.

Oh if only that was my 'reasonable' amount :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Meh it's overrated but I'm not doing anywhere near as good I thought I was, mocks got my hopes up :/ Got 485 in mocks and was hoping for 500+ but don't think thats gonna happen. Need 400 for my course!

Predictions, all HL
    English-B3
    Maths-C3, wanted a B :/
    Geography-B3 hopefully
    Biology-A1 hopefully, maybe A2

Still got Chem(hopefully A), Ag(hopefully A) and German(don't care, C would do :P)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

just like the pre's except I'm more focused and more relaxed...if that makes sense :cool:

English - C1
    Geog - B3
    Maths - B3/C1
    French - A1
    History - A1/A2
    Economics - Hoping for a B3

Yes I have 6 subjects I dropped Japanese :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Vetton

HL:
    English - B2
    French - B3
    Geog. - B2

Ord.:
    Maths - A2

HL again:
    Hopefully I'll have PhysChem - A1/2
    DCG - A2
    Art - A2
    Have to say though, it is great craic repeating, and I met some really cool people :D never ever do it a 3rd time though :)

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Freewheelin_

Predictions so far:
    English - B2/B3
    Maths - B1/B2
    Irish (OL) - C2/C3
    History - A2/B1

Left:
    German - B1
    Economics - C1
    Music - A2

As long as I get no Ds I should be grand though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

I refuse to think of it negatively!
    I remained positive throughout the exams (only exams in the bigger scale of things) and I know I have done my absolute best.
    I dont want to try and estimate how many points I should get. whatever happens on the 15th happens and I'll deal with it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

Didn't do any study at all for the leaving so may have to repeat, hopefully not though. I feel it went pretty well so far and I hope to get 420+.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

biohaiid wrote: »
    I refuse to think of it negatively!
    I remained positive throughout the exams (only exams in the bigger scale of things) and I know I have done my absolute best.
    I dont want to try and estimate how many points I should get. whatever happens on the 15th happens and I'll deal with it. :)

Well said! I hate all the pessimism that some people have, that they're sure they're repeating etc.. it'll only make you do your next exams worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

HowAreWe wrote: »
    Yes I have 6 subjects I dropped Japanese :pac:

How did you get away with just doing six? A girl in my school dropped a subject before but apparently she was only allowed because she had LCVP as a seventh subject anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Really chuffed with how they've gone so far, actually :D My course was 515 points last year so I'm aiming for 540ish. Got 465 in the mocks.

Here's my predicted grades (optimistically predicted!)

English: A1 (A1 in the mocks)
    Maths OL: B2ish, doesn't matter as I only need to pass it :)
    Irish: A1 (B2, in the mocks I left out a whole question on the paper and there was no oral counted in it, so I'm hoping to do well!)
    Biology: B1/A2, could go either way, definitely expecting a high B though! An A would be wonderful!
    French: A1, my favourite subject
    History: My worst subject, I was totally bricking it going in, but the paper was just amazing so I'm expecting a C1/B3
    Physics (Monday!): If I get the grades I predicted above (3xA1, B2, and a C1, giving me 450), then a B2 would give me 530, so I'd have a 15 point cushion to get Biomed in NUIG. Might need a few extra points though, realistically an A1 in Physics would be amazing as it would give me a comfortable margin to get my course by.

My experience of the Leaving has actually been great :D Every exam has gone really well and just the feeling of finishing subjects knowing I won't have to do them again is wonderful! (despite the fact that I'll be doing both my science subjects and French in college, and I'm going to continue writing in my spare time :P) But yeah, I've actually enjoyed it tbh. Glad I studied so that everything came off smoothly in the actual exams. :) Overall I'm aiming for 520+ points.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Nitsuj

I have a feeling I will be repeating, because I doubt I will get any of my level 8s due to the little work I've put in, regardless of the fact that I'm reasonably smart. Just extremely ****ing lazy.

I also don't think repeating would be "torture", since I would have all the courses covered and would feel ahead of everyone else, resulting in me being quite confident.

I'm also not "worn out" at all, since English paper 2 went really bad (Plath, Heaney) and I pretty much burned out emotionally after that paper. Stopped stressing after that, because if English, what was my best subject, went so bad, I had no hope in doing decent in the rest.

... and if I was to repeat, I would repeat my 4 choices, OL maths, and would take up applied maths, technology and possibly ag. science, since they all seem to overlap with my other subjects and seem quite easy and short courses. I mean, ag science seems to have a lot of biology in it, applied maths has a lot of physics and maths (duh) and technology seems so easy from looking at the past papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Killian In The Name Of

I really REALLY don't want to repeat at all, but I have a horrible feeling I will have to. Don't think I'll be getting any of my Level 8s, which is quite depressing... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭grantyrs10

a really optimistic prediction for me woud be :

ENGLISH HL B1

IRISH HL A1

MATHS HL C1

FRENCH HL A1

GEOGRAPHY HL A2

ECONOMICS HL A1

That wud give me 570... if i got that i would be so so so happy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

The exams themselves have all been pretty good to me so far, still got two hard ones left though so it could all fall apart now. I doubt I'll be repeating because I have courses over a really wide range of points and I'd enjoy any of them (I hope)

The 2 years studying? ****ing horrific. I don't even know how to describe how exhausted I am today, its soul destroying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28 Enda93

I think the L.C is hyped up way too much, the exams themselves are actually fine if you've done the work over 6th year, yeah, obviously some parts were hard, namely project maths and the unpredictable English paper 2 but if those were the hardest things in the leaving then I'm feeling fairly confident to be honest.
    Maybe I did awful, but I find that the best way to feel better about the leaving is think of how much better you did than in the pre and then think about your pre results, and how much higher you can expect to get ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Schonie

I'm mentally exhausted, I have nightmares about LC - last night I dreamt that I read all the Qs wrong on my biology exam and answered them completely differently-, I'm physically exhausted...but yeah...other than that the actual exams are okay - I haven't done any study so I'll be happy if I get one of my courses...If I don't get any of them, I will repeat but hopefully I won't have to...

My (being positive) predictions so far:
    HL English: C1
    HL Geography: B3/C1
    OL Maths: B2
    HL Biology: B3/C1
    HL Art: B2
    HL German: C2

And I have Chemistry left: C3/D1

If I went with the better options, I would get 425points :)
    It is done now anyhoo..so I'll just forget about it when I'm finished my chemistry until the results night:)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

wasted a lot of my time on people who i wouldn't call friends anymore.. :L so i don't like that aspect of my whole leaving cert experience.

6th year is better than 5th year though. just cause everyone is so close. :)
    i didn't study until the nights before each exam like. :pac: i'm hoping not to repeat but i will if i want my top course. it's my own fault for being an eejit and not properly studying for the past 2 years.

but i'm going to study good and well for these last 2 exams cause i don't want to be the only failure in my family.. :o evil sister got 565 points in her lc. :o
    i'm just not looking forward to seeing that sheet with all my crappy results on it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Murphdog94

In my opinion the whole year leading up to it has been the worst part. Constantly feeling guilty if you're doing anything and haven't done any study is just horrible. The exams themselves haven't really been that bad, they just feel a bit surreal because they've been built up so much and at the end of the day it's just an exam :D
    I have 3 left though and can't wait to be finished on Thursday!
    Optimistic Results:
    All HL
    English - B1
    Irish - A2
    Maths - C2
    Geography - B2
    Business - A1
    Spanish - A2
    Physics - C2
    Music - Haven't studied all year, just hoping for a pass!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Bubbleope wrote: »
    wasted a lot of my time on people who i wouldn't call friends anymore.. :L so i don't like that aspect of my whole leaving cert experience.

6th year is better than 5th year though. just cause everyone is so close. :)
    i didn't study until the nights before each exam like. :pac: i'm hoping not to repeat but i will if i want my top course. it's my own fault for being an eejit and not properly studying for the past 2 years.

but i'm going to study good and well for these last 2 exams cause i don't want to be the only failure in my family.. :o evil sister got 565 points in her lc. :o
    i'm just not looking forward to seeing that sheet with all my crappy results on it. :(

OMG! Are you me? Like seriously... :P This is exactly how I feel. My sister got 580 in her LC last year :( Its so annoying because I probably wont even get 470 :/ I really do not want to see my results sheet being filled with(well not crappy grades) but disappointing grades for me! Before the exams I was hoping for 500 points but biology went terrible and dunno how the others went so there is no way I am going to get it :P
    At this point I wouldnt mind repeating if I really have to as I know I could get 550+ if I just worked that bit harder....But look ya never know what could happen so I am going to stay optimistic for the moment anyways! :) Good luck to you in your last exams! :D

Sorry for the rant just needed to get it off my chest! :)

Advertisement