Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experience of the leaving cert

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭HeaneyBabe

My Predictions.. Most haven't gone as well as I've hoped :(

Exams I've done so far:
    -English HL - B2
    -Maths OL -B3 (Project Maths grrrrr)
    -Irish HL -B2
    -Geography - C2

Exams I will be doing next week
    -Physics HL- D3 (I just want to pass it)
    -Economics - A2
    -Italian - A1/A2 hopefully!

I WOULD NOT WANT TO REPEAT. Dying of a really bad throat infection which was probably brought on by stress. So run down.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

My experience of the Leaving Cert was overall a positive one, however I feel like I will explode if I have to repeat.

From the beginning of the year at school we were told that we're responsible for our own education; ifwe were struggling, we needed to talk to a teacher about that and hopefully find a solution. I had to do this a few times with maths in particular, although it was embarrassing having to ask for help, it makes you feel more independent.

I found the late nights studying while other people were watching tv or on Facebook very challenging but hopefully it will pay off.

It's scary knowing that it's all over. I'm terrified if I did badly because everyone I know, knows that I worked really hard. Most of my exams went fine but Biology was a disaster, I studied for it but I couldn't figure out what information they actually wanted.

I got 430 points in my mocks but I don't know if I have achieved that or more now.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

David1994 wrote: »
    OMG! Are you me? Like seriously... :P This is exactly how I feel. My sister got 580 in her LC last year :( Its so annoying because I probably wont even get 470 :/ I really do not want to see my results sheet being filled with(well not crappy grades) but disappointing grades for me! Before the exams I was hoping for 500 points but biology went terrible and dunno how the others went so there is no way I am going to get it :P
    At this point I wouldnt mind repeating if I really have to as I know I could get 550+ if I just worked that bit harder....But look ya never know what could happen so I am going to stay optimistic for the moment anyways! :) Good luck to you in your last exams! :D

Sorry for the rant just needed to get it off my chest! :)

haha thanks for the luck! :) such high standards in our families!! O: haha and i don't think my grades will be crappy as in fails.(apart from possibly maths.. D: ).. but crappy as in not good enough for me or anyone to see... :L i'm really scared just thinking about seeing that sheet like! :pac:
    i'd say i'd be able for 550+ too. seeing as these exams went i'd be lucky with 400+ in fairness. just wish i put in the work instead of watching tv shows and all this. /:
    oh well. :L time will tell. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Schonie

Bubbleope wrote: »
    haha thanks for the luck! :) such high standards in our families!! O: haha and i don't think my grades will be crappy as in fails.(apart from possibly maths.. D: ).. but crappy as in not good enough for me or anyone to see... :L i'm really scared just thinking about seeing that sheet like! :pac:
    i'd say i'd be able for 550+ too. seeing as these exams went i'd be lucky with 400+ in fairness. just wish i put in the work instead of watching tv shows and all this. /:

you guys...this sounds kinda familiar to me:o ...It's not really my sister cause I'm the eldest, but my mum..She expects me to do so well because she did really well in her LC...ugh...
    And I know that if I studied I would be able for more, but I was being lazy and stupid by deciding not to...beating myself about it now...I just never studied before - always got by in everything without studying..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I'm hoping my results will surprise me. English in particular. I feel like I got around a B1 in it but I didn't think I'd get an A in the pre either and then got 94%. But it's so hard to tell. My estimates:

English B1
    Maths B1
    Irish B1
    Biology A1
    German A1

To do:
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Applied Maths

I really can't even guess at what my grades will be for those 3. Depends on the paper and how much work I can be bothered to do between now and then. Got 570 in the mocks and that's around where I seem to be headed again, happy with that... just worried I'm being completely over-optimistic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Exactly sure look we could surprise ourselves! :P I know I used to be really studious and stuff in 3rd year and did very well in it but I seemed to just slack off and stuff :/ Anyways back to studying chemistry I go! Haha :) That results sheet will be my worst enemy hanging over me during the summer! Ah well..time will tell as you said :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Schonie wrote: »
    I'm mentally exhausted, I have nightmares about LC - last night I dreamt that I read all the Qs wrong on my biology exam and answered them completely differently

I've been having nightmares that I put the wrong exam number down on some of my exams.I'm almost sure I didn't but it will probably trouble me for the whole summer.

Schonie wrote: »
    you guys...this sounds kinda familiar to me:o ...It's not really my sister cause I'm the eldest, but my mum..She expects me to do so well because she did really well in her LC...ugh...
    And I know that if I studied I would be able for more, but I was being lazy and stupid by deciding not to...beating myself about it now...I just never studied before - always got by in everything without studying..

haha ah jaysus hopefully we'll all be impressed by the results though. :) hopefully. :pac:
    David1994 wrote: »
    Exactly sure look we could surprise ourselves! :P I know I used to be really studious and stuff in 3rd year and did very well in it but I seemed to just slack off and stuff :/ Anyways back to studying chemistry I go! Haha :) That results sheet will be my worst enemy hanging over me during the summer! Ah well..time will tell as you said :P

oh no i wasn't even studious in 3rd year, didn't need to so much then though.. i was hoping for a turnaround in the lc but nope didn't happen. :pac: good luck with the chemistry! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

I'd say I'll get anywhere between 430 and 480 depending on my last exam, I said before the leaving cert I'd get about 450/460 and I think that's what I'll get. I'll definitly have enough points for my course last year but it's going to go up a lot this year so it could be close.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

My experience of the Leaving cert. has been quite a changeable one the last 2 years. And truly, it was a 2 year experience for me anyway as I always tried to study and do extra bits and pieces over the last 2 years. Really, my Friends and my knowledge have been the only truly positive things I can take away from the experience, but in all other aspects- my experience of the Leaving Cert. has been almost a completely negative one.

Firstly, my School is undoubtedly one of the most negative, unhelpful ‘institutions’ I’ve ever seen. And whilst it has a reputation for students excelling and achieving excellent grades, this is not due to the Teachers, but more so the student’s defiance of the Teachers and their love of telling people what they can/cannot do.

Independent learning is NOT appreciated, whether it be in the Leaving Cert in general or in my School. About 15-20 students self-thought themselves a wide range of subjects in my school, including Phys-Chem, Music, Art, Ag-Science, Ag-Economics, Accounting and Economics just to name a few. At the beginning of this School year ‘we’ as in the students taking subjects outside of school, were told by our PRINICPAL and our CAREER GUIDANCE Teacher, in a meeting with them, that:

‘Doing subjects yourself doesn’t work, you’ll do terribly’

This is no exaggeration; they made us feel like stupid children and nothing more. And it actually turned out that most of the people who undertook the project of taking additional subjects did better in said subjects that most of their others that they were being taught in school. (For example Economics was my second highest grade- A2). This narrow perception of students, their willingness to work hard and achieve what they want was one of the most utterly negative experiences I’ve ever had and really cast a shadow over my experience of the Leaving Cert.

Also, I truly believe the Leaving is overly ‘hyped’, it’s ridiculous. Teachers doing stupid countdowns on the board, telling you everyday how many days you have left, all the work you have to do, all you don’t know, BULLSHÍT.. There’s way too much pressure on students as it is, no-one needs that additional stress in life, seriously. And to be fair hardly any of my Teachers had a clue about their respective subjects,

memes-stupid-teacher.jpg

Another thing I really, really, hated about the Leaving Cert. system, the number of subjects you have to take in school. Now I’m sorry but 7/8/9 subjects whatever is just TOO much. I understand we need to do Maths, but English? Don’t get me wrong I like English and I’m hoping to get an A1/A2 in Honours in August, but for people that aren’t interested in English what is the point in wasting time/energy studying it? Taking English out of the scenario, I wasted 2 years of valuable study time in Irish/Geography classes which have no bearing on what I want to do after school. I hated Irish, plain and simple and never did a tap for it, I still went into the exam though, not a clue about the language and will probably get an A1/A2 in it (in OL btw!). it’s a complete joke, and a waste of time.

In my opinion, 3-4 subjects is ENOUGH to take. I knew from the start of 5th year that I wanted to study Law/Business in college. Surely it would make more sense to allow people to study subjects that would relate directly to their desired courses in great detail, rather than having a meagre and completely irrelevant knowledge of 8/9 subjects that won’t relate to what they want to study in University?

And I think it’s about time the DOE/SEC whoever, looked at the subjects they’re offering in schools today and whipped out the finger with some new courses that would be APPLICABLE to University for students. There should be, without doubt, some type of Subject for Sport/Recreation, Psychology/Sociology, IT and a Law based subject offered in mainstream education. But no, they’d rather offer minority subjects (no offence to anyone doing them, I have no experience of their relevancy or anything) such as Classical Studies, Ancient Greek and Religious Education. I’m sure they’re grand subjects or whatever but what is the point in a student having knowledge about Roman/Greek mythology and barely able to do Maths or speak a foreign language? Both of which will be necessary with the high levels of emigration in search of jobs.

And why isn’t Chinese offered in Schools in this day and age? I know it’s meant to be difficult but in fairness they offer it in Schools in the US as a mainstream subject and it should without doubt, be offered for students in Ireland. They offer Japanese as a subject but not Chinese? Bit silly and irrational in my opinion but alas, that seems to be the brainwaves of the Department of Education.

I won’t even mention the shambles the DOE has made introducing Project Maths, I believe each student will already have formed their own personal opinion on that well-debated topics. (IDIOTS)

Another aspect of the Leaving Cert. I really, really hated was the time pressure in the exams. I’m not finished, I have Economics on Wednesday (which again should be an extra fun, ‘no-thinking-allowed only writing kinda exam), but most of my subjects have been so writing heavy and pressurised it’s ridiculous. (English Paper II, Geography, Business). The DOE should realise that if they extended the time allowed for a subject, maybe the results might be higher.

See how that works?
    More time=more thinky= higher grades!

19160729.jpg (Stupid SEC Monkey :P)

But that’s my personal experience of the Leaving cert. Not a whole of positives I know, but that’s how I really feel about the whole shambles of a set up. I’m just trying to keep sane until the 21st of June at 4.45pm when I can throw my Music Composition paper at my examiner, walk out the door of that awful, awful school, laugh hysterically and walk off into the sunset with my friends like the ending of some terrible Disney Channel Movie.

Till then, back to Economics! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

While we're on the topic of subjects that the leaving cert offers/doesn't offer. Why isn't there Computer Science like in most other countries?

Martin_94 wrote: »
    While we're on the topic of subjects that the leaving cert offers/doesn't offer. Why isn't there Computer Science like in most other countries?
    I asked that in my post above! It's stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

So far I don't think it has been so bad. :) This is my first, and only, time doing the Leaving Cert. I only have 2 exams left and providing they go okay I think I'll have a fair chance of getting into my course! So I'm really excited. this is what I'm hoping for:

LCVP: Merit
    Biology: C2
    Geography: B3
    English: B3
    Physics OL: B1
    German: C3

So that'll give me 370. :D

Realistically though, I'd be happy with 340+ because I only need 340 for my course.

Which is what? Is it Arts in NUIG? Since I'm quite sure that's where you're going, and that's what I'm doing! :)

My estimated results so far:
    English: B2/B3
    Irish: B3/C1
    Maths OL: C3
    French: A1/A2
    Biology: D3/E
    Business: C2/C3

I asked that in my post above! It's stupid!

lol, your post was so long I scanned over that bit, but I agree, it's so stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 iluvgreenday246

Well the year has been absolutely exhausting for a start!! I repeated this year for medicine after getting 505 last year and i've worked my absolute butt off.... Really miss sleep and my social life.... *sigh* :P I took up geography and ag science this year and i have never done them before. Ag science has been a breeze but the project was a bit of a pain and geography certainly took alot of work :/ am optimistic of getting my first choice this year though!

This is how i think i've done so far:
    English HL- A1
    Irish OL- C1
    Maths OL- C3
    French HL- A2/B1
    Biology HL- A1
    History HL- A2
    Geography HL- A2

And still have chemistry and ag science to go and am really relying on them for A1s!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I understand we need to do Maths, but English? Don’t get me wrong I like English and I’m hoping to get an A1/A2 in Honours in August, but for people that aren’t interested in English what is the point in wasting time/energy studying it? Taking English out of the scenario, I wasted 2 years of valuable study time in Irish/Geography classes which have no bearing on what I want to do after school. I hated Irish, plain and simple and never did a tap for it, I still went into the exam though, not a clue about the language and will probably get an A1/A2 in it (in OL btw!). it’s a complete joke, and a waste of time.

In my opinion, 3-4 subjects is ENOUGH to take. I knew from the start of 5th year that I wanted to study Law/Business in college. Surely it would make more sense to allow people to study subjects that would relate directly to their desired courses in great detail, rather than having a meagre and completely irrelevant knowledge of 8/9 subjects that won’t relate to what they want to study in University?

And I think it’s about time the DOE/SEC whoever, looked at the subjects they’re offering in schools today and whipped out the finger with some new courses that would be APPLICABLE to University for students. There should be, without doubt, some type of Subject for Sport/Recreation, Psychology/Sociology, IT and a Law based subject offered in mainstream education. But no, they’d rather offer minority subjects (no offence to anyone doing them, I have no experience of their relevancy or anything) such as Classical Studies, Ancient Greek and Religious Education. I’m sure they’re grand subjects or whatever but what is the point in a student having knowledge about Roman/Greek mythology and barely able to do Maths or speak a foreign language? Both of which will be necessary with the high levels of emigration in search of jobs.

While I agree with you on everything else in your post, the stuff I bolded kind of irked me. The point of education isn't to prepare you solely for a job, but for life in general. I think our system is quite good, I like that you're quite a rounded person academic-wise when leaving secondary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 grizzly_bear

Too many subjects done in a very short space of time. I did ten papers in a week. How ridiculous is that? The subjects themselves are taught to test which is of no fault to the teachers who hate the system just as much as we do.

We're not fluent in the languages we've been ''learning'' since we were 5.

Literary and numeracy skills are atrocious according to universities and employers.

We cannot think independently and in no case should we have such a limited amount of time for exams such as history,business,English etc.

FLAWED,FAILING AND FALTERING SYSTEM!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

And why isn’t Chinese offered in Schools in this day and age? I know it’s meant to be difficult but in fairness they offer it in Schools in the US as a mainstream subject and it should without doubt, be offered for students in Ireland. They offer Japanese as a subject but not Chinese? Bit silly and irrational in my opinion but alas, that seems to be the brainwaves of the Department of Education.

Spot on. In a decade or two, pretty much everyone will need to know how to speak Chinese in order to succeed in big business. Looking ahead another 40-50 years, it's likely that Mandarin/Chinese will be the lingua franca of trade and business, because the reign of English is coming to a close. Not a bad thing of course, but the SEC should definitely be preparing us for this.

While I agree with you on everything else in your post, the stuff I bolded kind of irked me. The point of education isn't to prepare you solely for a job, but for life in general. I think our system is quite good, I like that you're quite a rounded person academic-wise when leaving secondary school.

I definitely see your point of view and agree with you also! I think it's just irritating for people who don't enjoy 'mandatory subjects' like Irish/English and have to sit them as subjects that decide whether or not they'll get their dream course, although they may have no relevancy to the courses they wish to study! If that makes sense? :P

I definitely see your point of view and agree with you also! I think it's just irritating for people who don't enjoy 'mandatory subjects' like Irish/English and have to sit them as subjects that decide whether or not they'll get their dream course, although they may have no relevancy to the courses they wish to study! If that makes sense? :P

As a solution to the problem, English should be divided into two separate streams - Literature and Proficiency. If students have no interest in English literature they could just sit a Proficiency exam, focusing on grammar and functional writing. For those with no interest in English literature, it'd sure beat learning off the reams of material involved for the exam :P Having said that the English paper overall is not too bad if you work (work as in, study regularly over 5th and 6th year) for it. But I can see why it'd be a real pain in the neck for some, that's why there should be a division made between Literature and technical writing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Well I think the JC covered enough for us to decide our weaknesses/strengths. My time reading Hamlet has for the most part been pointless.

As a solution to the problem, English should be divided into two separate streams - Literature and Proficiency. If students have no interest in English literature they could just sit a Proficiency exam, focusing on grammar and functional writing. For those with no interest in English literature, it'd sure beat learning off the reams of material involved for the exam :P Having said that the English paper overall is not too bad if you work (work as in, study regularly over 5th and 6th year) for it. But I can see why it'd be a real pain in the neck for some, that's why there should be a division made between Literature and technical writing.
    Yes that'd be an excellent idea! I think in England for the GCSE's/A levels, not sure which, they have English Language and English Literature as separate subjects! It would make such better sense tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wanchor

I'm with you on that however I don't think English is too bad. Having some background skill in writing will always come in handy however Irish on the other hand..

I don't understand why they have it as a mandatory subject. Sure I'm all for retaining Irish culture but when it takes up 5+ classes a week, it's something to worry about. I would rather be doing something more beneficial and international. In fact, I think thats the sole reason why Irish is mandatory, to retain culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

Wanchor wrote: »
    I'm with you on that however I don't think English is too bad. Having some background skill in writing will always come in handy however Irish on the other hand..

I don't understand why they have it as a mandatory subject. Sure I'm all for retaining Irish culture but when it takes up 5+ classes a week, it's something to worry about. I would rather be doing something more beneficial and international. In fact, I think thats the sole reason why Irish is mandatory, to retain culture.

It is.. I already maintain the culture through music, shouldn't have to learn a dead language as well :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Mista wrote: »
    It is.. I already maintain the culture through music, shouldn't have to learn a dead language as well :/

It's not a dead language though... If it were "dead" no-one would be speaking it, yet, there are thousands, tens of thousands of people who are fluent and would disagree that it is dead. So many organisations are trying to get people interested in Irish and it's that sort of attitude which is like a contagion and people just think it's dead and useless...

Sorry if I come across as a d*uche of sorts ( and It wasn't directed at you specifically Mista) but I do love Irish (fluent). And don't tell me that you never used Irish on holidays to weird people out and to make sure people didn't eavesdrop on you conversation! It's practically mandatory! :L

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

ChemHickey wrote: »
    It's not a dead language though... If it were "dead" no-one would be speaking it, yet, there are thousands, tens of thousands of people who are fluent and would disagree that it is dead. So many organisations are trying to get people interested in Irish and it's that sort of attitude which is like a contagion and people just think it's dead and useless...

Sorry if I come across as a d*uche of sorts ( and It wasn't directed at you specifically Mista) but I do love Irish (fluent). And don't tell me that you never used Irish on holidays to weird people out and to make sure people didn't eavesdrop on you conversation! It's practically mandatory! :L

Okay, not dead, but dying :L The revival of it failed, and having it compulsory in secondary schools at this stage is just ridiculous.. I wouldn't mind it being just compulsory for the JC, but not the leaving :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Mista wrote: »
    Okay, not dead, but dying :L The revival of it failed, and having it compulsory in secondary schools at this stage is just ridiculous.. I wouldn't mind it being just compulsory for the JC, but not the leaving :/

I disagree. The revival of the Irish language is continuing and is getting stronger and stronger (especially where I am from anyway). Quite often, you see cafés and restaurants having Irish evenings and same with youthclubs and everything else! Its going from strength to strength! But I think we're gooing a tad off topic! :L :P

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

Love Irish. The best parts of Ireland are the Gaeltacht areas :D

wouldn't want to go near china or its language. but the way that country is sometimes just upsets me. /: i mean that woman! who was forced to have an abortion. and the child that was ran over multiple times by a van on the road as if it were just roadkill.. i just don't like chinese people. they way they live kind of freaks me out and i don't like it. at all. :(

although i do know a few chinese people that are pure sound that live here :) but seriously that country!?
    japan is miles better.. and japanese. wish i did that as a subject.. :pac: wanna go to japan one day. :)

{random rant over} :pac:

• Advertisement

wouldn't want to go near china or its language. but the way that country is sometimes just upsets me. /: i mean that woman! who was forced to have an abortion. and the child that was ran over multiple times by a van on the road as if it were just roadkill.. i just don't like chinese people. they way they live kind of freaks me out and i don't like it. at all. :(

although i do know a few chinese people that are pure sound that live here :) but seriously that country!?
    japan is miles better.. and japanese. wish i did that as a subject.. :pac: wanna go to japan one day. :)

{random rant over} :pac:

Not to be a know it all or anything, but in a country of more than 1 billion people, which is more than the population of Europe and the USA combined, you're going to get some crazy shít happening sooner or later. :pac:

Advertisement