Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experience of the leaving cert

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 148 ✭✭silversky

The leaving cert should be abolished to bring in continual assesment. I've been an A student in most of my subjects right throughout my five school years. Looking back on the exams I feel like I've did terrible, especially English. And I'm not feckin repeating, as long as I passed maths I never want to do those exams again. The LC is a load of bollix. And it's not ****ing fair either.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

Not to be a know it all or anything, but in a country of more than 1 billion people, which is more than the population of Europe and the USA combined, you're going to get some crazy shít happening sooner or later. :pac:

haha i know yeah :pac: but the way people in china react to some things!! :L it's like wtf for me. :pac: i dunno. maybe i'm just over-reacting. :L i still think it's disgraceful some of the things that do be happening over there but sure we can't be talking. priests and weird sh*t like that. :eek:
    blah such weird topics on this thread now. :L sorry. (no more) :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Bubbleope wrote: »
    haha i know yeah :pac: but the way people in china react to some things!! :L it's like wtf for me. :pac: i dunno. maybe i'm just over-reacting. :L i still think it's disgraceful some of the things that do be happening over there but sure we can't be talking. priests and weird sh*t like that. :eek:
    blah such weird topics on this thread now. :L sorry. (no more) :o

No doubt about it, it's a rare enough country. :P My teacher went over there on holiday and he said he couldn't go out food shopping or anything 'cos he'd be mobbed by shopkeepers the second he got in the door, trying to get him to buy their stuff. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Liveforrugby

I've gotten to the stage where leaving cert is all I know. All my life I've been preparing for these exams, I'm actually quiet scared to think about what'll happen once it's over.

silversky wrote: »
    The leaving cert should be abolished to bring in continual assesment. I've been an A student in most of my subjects right throughout my five school years. Looking back on the exams I feel like I've did terrible, especially English. And I'm not feckin repeating, as long as I passed maths I never want to do those exams again. The LC is a load of bollix. And it's not ****ing fair either.

It'll be ok. Don't worry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 goldensyrup

silversky wrote: »
    The leaving cert should be abolished to bring in continual assesment. I've been an A student in most of my subjects right throughout my five school years. Looking back on the exams I feel like I've did terrible, especially English.

Thats exactly how i feel. Ive studied so hard all year and even through last summer and i know im not going to get the course i want. every single exam went wrong for me especially english :(my english teacher said she was expecting an A1 from me. I'll be lucky to get a B3 id say:(

• Registered Users Posts: 26 J.new

I've gotten to the stage where leaving cert is all I know. All my life I've been preparing for these exams, I'm actually quiet scared to think about what'll happen once it's over.

Exactly what i'm thinking..

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Cosmic.Postman

You don't.....live for rugby then?? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

It was only a matter of time before someone said that. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

My experience of the LC was pretty awful, being what it was. My house felt like a prison. :(
    The unfairness is awful too...by far the subject I put the most work into was geography, and history the least. Geography was an absolutely ridiculous exam and its genuinely really upset me to feel that my hard work went down the drain, as petty as it sounds, while history went extremely well and even though I didnt get an A (unless the examiner is really nice :P) I was happy.

I guess if I had to estimate grades it'd be:
    English: B1/A2. Bad exam but it didnt catch me and my teacher said I'd have been able to answer the Hamlet question to A standard and always said I'll get an A, and while the story was so restricting, I did it well.
    Irish: B2/B1. Was really easy :)
    Maths: D3-D1? Thats a bit hopeful. Idk, P1 went really well but I hated P2. I dont need to pass anyway, but an OL A1 would've been nice now that I reflect :P
    French: A1, maybe an A2. I did a good oral, the aural was a bit tricky but I answered every single reaction piece and proofread them, then left half an hour early :')
    Geography: Went in wanting an A2...I'd be lucky with a B3. Really dont know how it'll go, most of my class did the tricky questions wrong so maybe it'll push me up?
    History: B2 maybe :) It went so well!
    Business: B3/B2, I felt it went okay and thats all I wanted.

No idea how many points that'd give me, high 400's/low 500's maybe, its quite similar to my mocks with a few...grade inversions. :pac: I dont need over 430ish anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 goldensyrup

how I think I did
    english B3
    Irish B1
    OL Maths A1 (not counting)
    German A2
    Biology A1
    chemistry hopefully will get A2
    Accounting hoping for A1
    Thats a best case scenario and that gives 540. And i need........545 :(
    these exams were beyond horrific and finishing them will be the biggest anticlimax ever:(

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭UnholyGregor

finality wrote: »
    There's basically no individuality or independent learning allowed in school and being treated like a child has bothered me since primary school.
    yeah being treated like a child when you're a child really sucks...

Well eh, if you dont think things like putting a whole class of 17/18 year olds on detention for the actions of one or two in the class is condescending then okay...

• Registered Users Posts: 31 SD021

The main thing that is shaping my experience so far is the exhaustion every single day. I am only half way through too (App Maths, Physic and Economics next week) and every day seems like such a trek. I'm completely bait by the time I climb into bed every night and motivation is running low atm as I have to face into another week of this **** :P

So far things have gone ok exam wise. Pessimistic predictions:

English: B2
    Maths: A2
    Latin: B2
    Irish OL: Don't care as long as I pass :D

Since I'm aiming for pretty high points the next few days have to go really well. Yawn...

SD021 wrote: »
    The main thing that is shaping my experience so far is the exhaustion every single day. I am only half way through too (App Maths, Physic and Economics next week) and every day seems like such a trek. I'm completely bait by the time I climb into bed every night and motivation is running low atm as I have to face into another week of this **** :P

So far things have gone ok exam wise. Pessimistic predictions:

English: B2
    Maths: A2
    Latin: B2
    Irish OL: Don't care as long as I pass :D

Since I'm aiming for pretty high points the next few days have to go really well. Yawn...

Did you get the circle k question or the bionic arm question?

It's all an elaborate scheme to pull birds over the internet

Did you get the circle k question or the bionic arm question?

Got 3-2root2 for k when in the answer was 3+2root2 I think..

Didn't get the semi circles at the end of the graph for the arm either. Other than that I got what everybody else got I think.. Paper 1 will save me (hopefully) :P

SD021 wrote: »
    Got 3-2root2 for k when in the answer was 3+2root2 I think..

Didn't get the semi circles at the end of the graph for the arm either. Other than that I got what everybody else got I think.. Paper 1 will save me (hopefully) :P

Are the answers up somewhere?

Are the answers up somewhere?

No but I've seen a solution for it which is definitely right. It's what nearly everyone I know got anyway.

You must know lots of smart people, everyone I know got 1 :')

• Advertisement

Patchy~ wrote: »
    You must know lots of smart people, everyone I know got 1 :')

But wasn't k>1? ^^

and so it begins..

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭emmamurphy233

My experience of the Leaving cert has been awful. I basically lost my social life because I studied so much. I don't even know what music I like anymore because I haven't had time to listen to it. I have had absolutely no free time for about two months and before that it was minimal. And after all of the work I put in I don't think it's going to pay off. I was hoping for 560, I think 530 is more likely now, which for myself just isn't good enough(I have really high standards for myself).
    My predictions:
    English: B3/C1 (had hoped for a B1)
    Maths: B1/B2
    Irish: C1
    German: A1/A2
    Biology: A2
    History: B1 (had hoped for an A1, did more study in it than any other subject, was doing 5 hours a day in the last few weeks)
    Accounting: hoping for an A1/A2.

What really gets me about the leaving cert is this: I was an excellent history student. I worked my ass off for an A1. Other people, as I've seen so much on boards in the last few days, did barely any work and feel like they could get an A because they got lucky. How is this fair for the people like me who genuinely deserved the A? It's a matter of luck, and I had that. No matter how competent you are in a subject, the paper could go wrong for you on the day. It's not fair, especially for those people who sacrificed so much to study.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Bubbleope wrote: »
    wouldn't want to go near china or its language. but the way that country is sometimes just upsets me. /: i mean that woman! who was forced to have an abortion. and the child that was ran over multiple times by a van on the road as if it were just roadkill.. i just don't like chinese people. they way they live kind of freaks me out and i don't like it. at all. :(

although i do know a few chinese people that are pure sound that live here :) but seriously that country!?
    japan is miles better.. and japanese. wish i did that as a subject.. :pac: wanna go to japan one day. :)

{random rant over} :pac:

don't forget the european child who was surrounded, kicked and stamped on by a group of chinese adults while searching for his mom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

I think we need to lay off the chinese okay, there not all bad.

Martin_94 wrote: »
    I think we need to lay off the chinese okay, there not all bad.

no you're wrong. every single one of them is a monster

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

don't forget the european child who was surrounded, kicked and stamped on by a group of chinese adults while searching for his mom.

i think i saw that video. S:
    or was it another.. i dunno. it's all disgusting really. /:
    people can be cruel. :(
    i'm pretty sure i saw another video where an asian kid was being beat up by white people. ): it's just sick i dunno what is wrong with some people! :mad:

EDIT: i remember now!! the child was in a crowd and other people were just watching him being beat up as if it were normal!? i felt sick after watching that.. /;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I completely missed the start of the whole "the Chinese are monsters" conversation... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

The worlds a bad place, I find it surprising people are only realising that now, and it's not just China!

Why all the hate for China, they invented toilet paper. We owe them a lot.

• Advertisement

I don't think it comes down to people in certain countries naturally being more or less barbaric than others, just down to where they were brought up, how disadvantaged or advantaged the place is. It make sound bad to say this but I don't care, some countries just aren't civilised, and we can't expect the people to be if that's what's normal to them.

Advertisement