Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experience of the leaving cert

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

I don't think it comes down to people in certain countries naturally being more or less barbaric than others, just down to where they were brought up, how disadvantaged or advantaged the place is. It make sound bad to say this but I don't care, some countries just aren't civilised, and we can't expect the people to be if that's what's normal to them.

i agree. if you compare how the irish live to how the chinese live you can see a major difference.. you can just see how good we actually have it here tbh. it's sad in a way..

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Dapics

I don't think it comes down to people in certain countries naturally being more or less barbaric than others, just down to where they were brought up, how disadvantaged or advantaged the place is. It make sound bad to say this but I don't care, some countries just aren't civilised, and we can't expect the people to be if that's what's normal to them.

The reason the world is going to crap is due to a gradual degradation of social, moral and ethical values.... Gradually people are becoming more apathetic to the plights of others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Dapics wrote: »
    The reason the world is going to crap is due to a gradual degradation of social, moral and ethical values.... Gradually people are becoming more apathetic to the plights of others.

I know, some people cheat in exams, and many are just completely apathetic to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

Dapics wrote: »

but how!? i don't even,. i don't. ): the world isn't going to the craps the people are.. D;

this thread has become so serious. S:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

SD021 wrote: »
    But wasn't k>1? ^^
    Yep, we all suck :D :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Liveforrugby

robbiep94 wrote: »
    how has the leaving cert gone. was it a good experience? Would you repeat?

What is this madness?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 kyle84

I think the leaving cert has gone ok. It was terrifying on june the 6th,but after that paper the nerves slowly ebbed away. If you do well early on,its also a great confidence booster. Overall i was only unhappy with maths paper 2. Points predictions prob as follows

Maths A2...if i was really really lucky i cud scrape an A1
    English A1/A2..hard to ever really say,but it felt good
    Irish A1..fair papers for both,had to manipulate the essay tho and the tape was harder than other years
    Biology A1..very open paper,room for ppl to express all their knowledge,genetics was a bit weird alri,but i think the c part wont be as specific as people think
    German A1/A2...did a good oral,paper was mostly ok,and only part 4 of the listening was bad for timing

Still have chemistry (hopeful A1),economics (hopeful A1) and applied maths (any pass grade will do :L)....so if the former two go well,i think the leaving cert wud hav been a fair reflection on my six years. I'm aiming really high so hope not to be disappointed. I'm not really sure how fair it is,i'd agree it can all come down to the day,but in many cases if you've done the work you'll be very unlucky to mess up. Only advice would be NEVER panic. I've seen alot of my class drop grades they really deserve because the pressure gets to them,which is reasonable. Good luck with the rest everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Liveforrugby

kyle84 wrote: »
    I think the leaving cert has gone ok. It was terrifying on june the 6th,but after that paper the nerves slowly ebbed away. If you do well early on,its also a great confidence booster. Overall i was only unhappy with maths paper 2. Points predictions prob as follows

Irish A1..fair papers for both,had to manipulate the essay tho and the tape was harder than other years
    Biology A1..very open paper,room for ppl to express all their knowledge,genetics was a bit weird alri,but i think the c part wont be as specific as people think
    German A1/A2...did a good oral,paper was mostly ok,and only part 4 of the listening was bad for timing

Still have chemistry (hopeful A1),economics (hopeful A1) and applied maths (any pass grade will do :L)....so if the former two go well,i think the leaving cert wud hav been a fair reflection on my six years. I'm aiming really high so hope not to be disappointed. I'm not really sure how fair it is,i'd agree it can all come down to the day,but in many cases if you've done the work you'll be very unlucky to mess up. Only advice would be NEVER panic. I've seen alot of my class drop grades they really deserve because the pressure gets to them,which is reasonable. Good luck with the rest everyone

What do you want to do in Collage?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SlyBacon93

In all honesty, I didn't come out of any exam thinking I got an A, it's a pity since I did work really hard this year. Ah well maybe I'm just not an exam person

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Fair play! As another fella said, what do you wanna do in college?

• Advertisement

Pharmacy guys,i just love chemistry and biology,like it never bothered me all year studying them. Sometimes they just go in naturally so it saved me so much time to study other stuff. If thats not a sign i should study it i dont know what is. What are ye hoping to do, if ye are in leaving cert?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Pharmacy guys,i just love chemistry and biology,like it never bothered me all year studying them. Sometimes they just go in naturally so it saved me so much time to study other stuff. If thats not a sign i should study it i dont know what is. What are ye hoping to do, if ye are in leaving cert?

Wanted to do Pharmacy myself for ages, but I changed my mind and now I want to do Pharmacology. :) Pharmacologists do the R&D on what goes into the Pharmacies, basically, and research the action of drugs on the body. Fascinating. :D Where are you going to do Pharmacy?

Ah cool. There's a module of that in pharmacy think it'll be great. I wanted something with chemistry and biology-choice wasn't easy :L I'm going UCC how about you?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Astrozombies

I think it went well.. with the lack of study I had done after the mocks they've been surprisingly alight!
    Not sure if I'll get any A's however, but that's okay because even if I don't get my 1st pref I can still get my second and I think I might even prefer that, but we'll see :rolleyes:
    Only exam I was deeply unhappy with was geography. And I had put in so much work for it, learning nearly every possible essay off. Ah well ya win some ya lose some! Rest were grand, there was bits and bobs in each exam I'd struggled with but nothing that would effect the overall grade too much I hope!
    Finger's crossed anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 insua

I think it's gone pretty well. Didn't touch a book before the mocks and got 415 which is a lot under what I need for engineering, probably around 470.

Hit the books and so far I think I've got
    Maths - B1
    English - C2
    French - C3
    Construction - A1

Hopefully get a B1 in physics and a C in accounting then I'm sorted. Then to get absolutely bollixed for the next week or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭UnholyGregor

got 545 in mocks, my only concern is that il get worse in the real lv cert, but i think thats pretty unlikely (though definitely possible). Ideally, im expecting around 560-580
    pretty apathetic about the lv cert tbh, i think thats mainly because it has drained every iota of positivity from what i once called my life... :/

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Nitsuj

got 545 in mocks, my only concern is that il get worse in the real lv cert, but i think thats pretty unlikely (though definitely possible). Ideally, im expecting around 560-580
    pretty apathetic about the lv cert tbh, i think thats mainly because it has drained every iota of positivity from what i once called my life... :/
    Did you study the whole year? How many hours a day? I'm not judging and don't want to seem condescending or anything, just curious. I wish I had the determination to have done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭UnholyGregor

Nitsuj wrote: »
    Did you study the whole year? How many hours a day? I'm not judging and don't want to seem condescending or anything, just curious. I wish I had the determination to have done that.

Yeah the whole year, im not much of a crammer... i didn't kill myself with study, i just made sure to give my homework 100%, and trusted that my teachers were doing their jobs correctly. i made it a personal goal to understand everything covered in class, and if i got bad marks in a subject like english, i always was sure to ask the teacher why. all those things all up more that you'd realise at the time.

but yeah, to answer your question, prob 3 or 4 hrs a day, though i prefer to quantify study by amount of stuff done, rather than amount of time done. As in, I think the best way to approach study is to say, ''by the time i leave this dest, i will understand EVERYTHING about chemical equilibrium'', rather than studying without any real goal just for the sake of putting time in, and hoping that it pays off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Hm. Not sure how I feel about the Leaving Cert. I suppose I have positive and negative feelings about it. The positive would be that it taught me how to cope under pressure, manage my time, how to study effectively and how I study best. The LC has also given me a new drive to try new things, and achieve some goals that I've always wanted to. Negatives of course would be that is was stressful, over hyped, meant I didn't get out as much as I would have wanted to, made me exercise less etc. Actually the exercising less thing really bothers me. I was in school from 8:30am until 6:00pm most days. Most of this time I spent sitting down and because I did LCVP I had no PE class. No wonder obesity levels in young people are so high! I really do believe they should incorporate so much more exercise into school. And I don't mean just having sports teams and PE for some students once a week. I think the student gym in my school should be open at lunch time and they should incorporate at least 4 classes of PE into each students week. :mad: Or even if we were allowed out for a walk during lunch. It would have improved fitness and it would have stopped overly fidgety students with a short attention span like me from going crazy after a block of three classes. :P

Dear god no, I hated every single PE class for the 3 years I had them. I hated being forced to play sport I'd no interest in ugh, and ever since 5th year when they stop PE for students I havent gained any weight so...I dont think there's a need :P

• Advertisement

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Dear god no, I hated every single PE class for the 3 years I had them. I hated being forced to play sport I'd no interest in ugh, and ever since 5th year when they stop PE for students I havent gained any weight so...I dont think there's a need :P

All that used to happen in our PE was we'd **** footballs and basketballs at each other, was dangerous.

Oh, my genitals can attest to the danger of ****ing balls around. My teacher laughed at me. :(

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Oh, my genitals can attest to the danger of ****ing balls around. My teacher laughed at me. :(

One poor lad in our class was like a magnet, seriously every PE he'd get hit in the balls around 10 times, I felt sorry for him but people getting hit in genitals with footballs is just so funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

Martin_94 wrote: »
    One poor lad in our class was like a magnet, seriously every PE he'd get hit in the balls around 10 times, I felt sorry for him but people getting hit in genitals with footballs is just so funny.

I was one of those people.. every PE class, that would happen at least once :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

The girls in my year used to tell the PE teacher every week that they had their period so they couldn't do it, I wish I coulda used that as an excuse!

The girls in my year used to tell the PE teacher every week that they had their period so they couldn't do it, I wish I coulda used that as an excuse!

lol every week, your PE teacher must have been an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Oh she was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I loved PE. :D Except it wasn't great because there were only about five other people in the class who liked sport (our class was mainly made up of non-sporty girls). :cool: Still though, wish they didn't make everyone drop it in sixth year. About half of the year still wanted to have it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wanchor

Yeah the whole year, im not much of a crammer... i didn't kill myself with study, i just made sure to give my homework 100%, and trusted that my teachers were doing their jobs correctly. i made it a personal goal to understand everything covered in class, and if i got bad marks in a subject like english, i always was sure to ask the teacher why. all those things all up more that you'd realise at the time.

but yeah, to answer your question, prob 3 or 4 hrs a day, though i prefer to quantify study by amount of stuff done, rather than amount of time done. As in, I think the best way to approach study is to say, ''by the time i leave this dest, i will understand EVERYTHING about chemical equilibrium'', rather than studying without any real goal just for the sake of putting time in, and hoping that it pays off

That is incredible. I really wish I could have been like you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Mista

Oh she was!

SHE!?!?! Oh god...

Advertisement