Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Cineplex

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Itchianus

KevIRL wrote: »
    This is absolute gold. Hilarious and very well made. Kudos to Gary Keneally for doing it

Funny little animation alright, was yerwan driving a Delorean?!?!

Casting her as a witch was fairly apt. WTF is her problem, they told her they were sorry and there'd been an oversight with the rostering. Sounds like a lady who's never pleased.

Even though it was a bit nasty in there at times I find myself nostalgic for the old cineplex, such is the level of vexation Storm creates...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

"Well what school did you go to?"
    One run by satan where we sacrificed goats ya old bat

• Registered Users Posts: 38,267 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

no wonder the place closed down.

days like this still exist in Storm Cinemas (Odeon Cinemas) but we are brillent we crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Itchianus wrote: »
    Even though it was a bit nasty in there at times I find myself nostalgic for the old cineplex, such is the level of vexation Storm creates...

Dunno if you remember the winter when the heating broke down, I think it was in Screen 2 downstairs, it was like going to watch a film in yer freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

That is brilliant in all fairness. Got a good few laughs out of it.

On another note Christ who the hell let's cinema ques bother them to this level. I just expected as it went along that something awful would have happened to her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Sometimes you can be amazed by the talent around. That was brilliant and should be submitted as some sort of film short to IFC, certainly get it on the local media anyway.
    Only thing is, its likely that the woman who has time to make such ridiculous complaints on radio could become more famous

• Registered Users Posts: 28,340 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I thought that place was closed? It was a kip in the last number of years and going there was always a major aggravation, between the mess and the messing (and the total inability of the projectionist to get the image and the sound to work/co-ordinate).

Still if people (like some of the previous posters) want to go to a cinema where anything goes then its a good idea for them to go there, and anyone who wants a reasonable evenings entertainment can go to Storm.

Clever bit of video though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Ah yes I remember that place well, arm rests didnt move like they do in storm and door was at the back. Good times. I always thought they were going to do it up and complete with storm have some IMAX gear in and undercut storm, that would benefit everyone in town. Good vid aswell im in work and was just laughing at the screen :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Remember the cinema before that?

I run a little Facebook page called "old places in Waterford" and ive been trying to get a hold of pics of the old, old cinema. I remember cinema one being MASSIVE with a huge aisle at the back (one side the entrance and the other end was the smelly men's toilets) and one of the cinemas had a big drop at the end of the aisle and before ye screen (where people threw rubbish!). I remember seeing films there like robin hood prince of thieves...never ending story..superman 4..terminator 2. The shop was absolutely tiny and people would usually just come in with a bag of goodies that they got from o briens (the inspiration for the guess the Waterford location thread)

Think the cinema was owned by my art teacher's husband. (Shanahan)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I run a little Facebook page called "old places in Waterford" and ive been trying to get a hold of pics of the old, old cinema. I remember cinema one being MASSIVE with a huge aisle at the back (one side the entrance and the other end was the smelly men's toilets) and one of the cinemas had a big drop at the end of the aisle and before ye screen (where people threw rubbish!). I remember seeing films there like robin hood prince of thieves...never ending story..superman 4..terminator 2. The shop was absolutely tiny and people would usually just come in with a bag of goodies that they got from o briens (the inspiration for the guess the Waterford location thread)

I love that page :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,267 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Is this place Supermacs now ??

Was the Fourm once a cinema too ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

It was actually owned by a decidely unpleasent Dublin company called Ward Anderson. Leo Ward when asked why the Regina could not be done up replied "Waterford is just a mickey mouse place".

This is the reason it was always cold, run down and dirty. Staff were treated badly, customers likewise.

I had the misfortune of working with them and hated it.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Is this place Supermacs now ??

Was the Fourm once a cinema too ??

I mean the one that used to be on Patrick street before the cineplex

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

Patrick Street was the Regina Cinema......3 screens....Regina Palace (the big one upstairs)....Pullman (medium one on the ground floor) and the Mini (half way up the stairs.....about the size of a small bus......)

The Regina closed in the spring of 1993......re-opened as Waterford Cineplex in Dec 1993.

The Forum used to be the Regal Cinema
    Supermacs+The Book Center used to be the Savoy cinema.....these closed (as cinemas) in the mid seventies ...but went on to be used as concert venues/bingo halls into the eighties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,545 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

looksee wrote: »
    I thought that place was closed? It was a kip in the last number of years and going there was always a major aggravation, between the mess and the messing (and the total inability of the projectionist to get the image and the sound to work/co-ordinate).

Still if people (like some of the previous posters) want to go to a cinema where anything goes then its a good idea for them to go there, and anyone who wants a reasonable evenings entertainment can go to Storm.

Clever bit of video though!

The audio in the clip is from 2008. I would imagine the Cineplex closed within a year or so of this audio being on the radio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

KevIRL wrote: »
    The audio in the clip is from 2008. I would imagine the Cineplex closed within a year or so of this audio being on the radio
    thats when things were at there worst, i actually know the fella that used be projectionist and he showed me the projectors one day and the big reels of film that he used have to put up and for a small man fair play to him, but at the end of one reel the film used to break and he would have to repair the film by cutting a bit and joining it back together with a special tape hence why sometimes the sound did'nt match the screen as the sound is embedded in the film

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

technically the sound for each frame was in a seperate channel but within the same frame.

Going back to the time when projectors were only able to show 20 min reels a screen would have 2 projectors for each film with a changeover after every 20 mins *. Once reels/projectors were invented that allowed for entire films to be spooled onto an entire reel is how you ended up with occasional breaks because 20 min sections were taped to each other.

* quizz question ...... how do you know when the 20 mins is about to be up?

5 secs before the end of a real a little black/white dot will appear in the top right hand corner, this is the cue to start the 2nd projector running, then a another a little black/white dot will appear in the top right hand corner to signal the end of a reel. The projectionist would want to have the 2 projectors synchronised at that stage. To see this sort of in action, watch any film from the pre-digital age and you'll see the dots even on tv even though reels are no longer used. From the moment you see this you'll spend every film afterwards watching for the 20 min dots :)

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

'It was chaos Billy!!!' lol! Great work! & the woman is just moaning for the sake of moaning :p very amusing!!!

old gregg wrote: »
    technically the sound for each frame was in a seperate channel but within the same frame.

Going back to the time when projectors were only able to show 20 min reels a screen would have 2 projectors for each film with a changeover after every 20 mins *. Once reels/projectors were invented that allowed for entire films to be spooled onto an entire reel is how you ended up with occasional breaks because 20 min sections were taped to each other.

* quizz question ...... how do you know when the 20 mins is about to be up?

5 secs before the end of a real a little black/white dot will appear in the top right hand corner, this is the cue to start the 2nd projector running, then a another a little black/white dot will appear in the top right hand corner to signal the end of a reel. The projectionist would want to have the 2 projectors synchronised at that stage. To see this sort of in action, watch any film from the pre-digital age and you'll see the dots even on tv even though reels are no longer used. From the moment you see this you'll spend every film afterwards watching for the 20 min dots :)
    i can remember him changing lenses just after the adverts and new releases when the screen goes black

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Aruba08

haha im laughing so hard, that is brilliant! Classic Billy phonecall

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Vsolid

it just adds to the atmosphere, those guys in Waterford cineplex worked hard looking after our rug rats dumped in their as we went shopping for the after noon - cheapest baby sitter in town (at the time!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Vsolid

old gregg wrote: »
    It was actually owned by a decidely unpleasent Dublin company called Ward Anderson. Leo Ward when asked why the Regina could not be done up replied "Waterford is just a mickey mouse place".

This is the reason it was always cold, run down and dirty. Staff were treated badly, customers likewise.

I had the misfortune of working with them and hated it.

I also worked their for many years, I have made great friends from the place and we worked hard (when we had too, but we had a lot of messy nights too) I remember playing 18 hole crazy golf throughout the cinema with a plastic golf set - good times

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

THall04 wrote: »
    Supermacs+The Book Center used to be the Savoy cinema.....these closed (as cinemas) in the mid seventies ...but went on to be used as concert venues/bingo halls into the eighties

It also used to be a video games arcade in the late 80's/early 90's locally called "de Gloss", the change cage upstairs was run by mad Ray Halligan who was a right laugh even if he was a bit erm....temperamental lol

I remember seeing Iron Man in there on my own the day after it came out.

And when I say "On my own" I mean that I was the only person there. Brilliant.

I was trying to rembering what films were coming out when it closed.

Good old google maps

6f14cad5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Anyone any idea what the top right poster is from? Looks familiar but I can't place it.

I can't remember what the last film I saw there was. I wish I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

The last Mummy film.

thinks its 5 yrs since it closed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭xEmily2011

least she didnt go in when the rats were running around and they were selling the tickets off for a fiver for any film ant time haha she would have had war with Billy over the poor Manageress :L hahaha

Advertisement