Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for old houses

Options
  • 13-06-2012 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi Folks,

My house insurance is due for renewal next week and I have been attempting to shop around as my circumstances have changed dramatically. Only problem is, no one will quote me!!! Every one says my 'location is unsuitable' or 'property is too old for us' (this coming from AXA who quoted my last year???) As my property is 1890s construction but looks the same as about 90% of cork city then I can't be the only one having this problem can I??? The only company who will quote are the company I'm with (Allianz) but who's premium has jumped ~100e for no apparent reason. Also, as I'm in a 'flood risk' area (i'm at the top of a hill), I live in cork (subsidence) and I have a lot of flat roof i'm currently not covered for fire, subsidence, flood or freezing, so basically I have burglary insurance. How is my house any different to the masses of houses I see and pass every day that are the same construction, same era, and in similar areas??? So frustrating, if anyone has any suggestions please let me know...

Companies I've tried ;
    O'Mahony Boylan Golden,
    Mc Carthy Insurances,
    Axa
    Aviva
    123.ie
    RSA (direct)
    BOI (RSA)
    AIB (Aviva-Axa)
    NoNonsense
    Finsure
    Liberty
    AA
    Get Cover

There may be more but I can't think of them right now!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Chromeinsurance.ie I had a similaar problem, old house, extension with flat roof on 80% of the building. No bother with them and they were actually cheaper than I was paying before I added the flat roof, and covered more.....

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

mine is an 1880s cottage in dublin city centre , im covered by ulster bank

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Is the street your on or the area your in prone to Floods? If it is, thats the reason you can't get a quote. Those areas are only going to get worse in the future.

So they can't identify the exact houses that are a real risk, which means they just blanket ban a area or street.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

huffet wrote: »
    Also, as I'm in a 'flood risk' area (i'm at the top of a hill)
    As said above, the street/area may have a blanket ban. Does the street extend to the bottom of the hill?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

People living on hills can have floods caused by water coming from the top of the hill and/or dodgy plumbing.

Talking to a broker might be useful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement