Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Xbox wireless controller for emulators on pc?

Options
  • 13-06-2012 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

Not too sure if in the right forum on boards... but here is what im looking to do...

My son has a 360 with two wireless controllers, and next to the xbox under the tv is our HTPC plugged into our tv via hdmi.

I have a few emulators to play some retro games that i current control using a cheapy usb game pad.

I remember reading somewhere that i could use one of my sons wireless xbox controllers to control the emulators instead of the cheap usb gamepad... (cheapy gamepad is ok but prefer the response and non plastic feel of the proper xbox controller)

is this what i would need to do it this way?... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xbox-Wireless-Gaming-Receiver-Windows/dp/B000MGVAAQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1339619493&sr=8-2

And would i need to run any controller software (to define what buttons do what when pressed on the xbox controller) on the pc for this or is it the same as the usb gamepad (plug and play).

Thanks for any help on this one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I got one on ebay for 7e delivered a few weeks ago. took about two weeks to arrive.

It should do the trick.

Just to add it arrived with a driver and took me a few attempts to sync the contoller to the dongle but eventually worked with windows 7. You might need to configre the buttons inside mame or whichever emulator you are running. But as it is microsoft it does not need any config for any windows games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

You could also search around ebay for a flight stick that will work with both Xbox and PC like this. I know thats a PS3 but I am sure you would get an xbox one also.

Maybe try over in the arcade and retro forum if you are going down that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Thanks for the tip on the ebay receiver benny... will prob go for that i think.

correct me if im wrong, but if i have to sync it to the usb receiver, does that mean i would need to resync it back on the sons xbox if he needed his second controller back to play on the xbox? - if so i would probably be better off to get a third xbox controller for use just on the pc so?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Yep, the controller(s) would have to be resynced to the Xbox after it has been synced to the dongle (a controller can only "remember" one device at a time). Syncing takes 5-10 seconds though - personally I wouldn't think it's worth the expense of another controller.

Just to note though, if you're set on getting another controller, you could just get the wired version of the 360 controller. It does away with the need for batteries, and plugs into the PC via usb. The usb connection means there's no need to sync the controller to either the PC or Xbox.

But yeah, I also have the dongle and I just sync my xbox controllers between dongle and console! The wireless solution is also probably neater for a HTPC setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Yeah... would prefer wireless... much neater so will use sons second controller for a while and might pick a spare one some time soon.

Schorpio and bennyc, thank you lads for the info!

• Advertisement
Advertisement