Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Violence that didnt shock me.

• 13-06-2012 9:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭

I was in Poznan last Sunday. Eveyone was having a laugh and there was great craic with the Croatian supporters. I was out for a smoke and saw a bunch of about 10 lads with no colours walking down the road. All of a sudden they started punching this Irish guy in his 60's. One of them kicked him in the head when he was on the ground. Next minute I saw a guy running towards me with 6-8 lads chasing after him. I jumped to one side and they punched the living daylights out of him. Heard afterwards that he was Croat and so were they. It all happened in about 2 mins and they walked away up the street.It happened so quickly. The thing about it was that I wasnt as shocked as I thought I would be. Are we desensitised to violence now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Ever since nam ive never been the same:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

La di dah.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Did you do anything to help the elderly man??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

syndeyfife wrote: »
    Did you do anything to hep the elderly man??

Nah the bastard deserved it, he's been sleeping with the OP's wife. :p

:pac:

(Sorry, couldn't help myself.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

Did you do anything to hep the elderly man??

No, it happened very quickly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

I think i'd be shocked if I saw that.

Maybe you've been playing too many video games or listening to heavy metal or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Thanks for the Newsflash OP!

thomur wrote: »
    No, it happened very quickly

I couldnt stand and watch something like that. I never have been able to, no matter how many there were or how quick something happened.
    Ill get myself killed one of these days...

But I actually meant afterwards....was he ok? Did you go over to see if he needed help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

So did you get it on camera or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

Scumbags ! Violence NEVER solves anything IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

thomur wrote: »
    I was in Poznan last Sunday. Eveyone was having a laugh and there was great craic with the Croatian supporters. I was out for a smoke and saw a bunch of about 10 lads with no colours walking down the road. All of a sudden they started punching this Irish guy in his 60's. One of them kicked him in the head when he was on the ground. Next minute I saw a guy running towards me with 6-8 lads chasing after him. I jumped to one side and they punched the living daylights out of him. Heard afterwards that he was Croat and so were they. It all happened in about 2 mins and they walked away up the street.It happened so quickly. The thing about it was that I wasnt as shocked as I thought I would be. Are we desensitised to violence now

All of the internet warriors will be along any minute now to tell you that your a wimp, and they would have single handedly beaten the 8 fellas to death with their keyboards..................

SunnyDub1 wrote: »

Except war!

And Boxing matches.

And MMA matches.

And Martial Arts tournaments.

And countless scenarios involving Jean Claude Van Damme and his twin/a cyborg/a criminal time traveller/evil scary guy in martial arts competition

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

SunnyDub1 wrote: »

Violence solves everything, that is what is wrong with Ireland, bunch of wimps afraid to stand up and be counted when it matters.

Stinicker wrote: »
    Violence solves everything, that is what is wrong with Ireland, bunch of wimps afraid to stand up and be counted when it matters.

Please............. elaborate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

John Doe1 wrote: »
    Ever since nam ive never been the same:(

Rath-far-n(h)am ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Bell Butter

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Except war!

And Boxing matches.

And MMA matches.

And Martial Arts tournaments.

And countless scenarios involving Jean Claude Van Damme and his twin/a cyborg/a criminal time traveller/evil scary guy in martial arts competition

I have to say, since the invention of the interwebs I have become de-sensitised to a lot of stuff.

Take the Mexican chainsaw narco video, I saw it twice and now it's like "whatever"

I wonder how desensitised the next generation are going to be?

*grabs chainsaw and heads over to the junkie thread*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

was in poznan too and heard about it. you could see the gangs of lads with no colours just walking around in packs. even watch them attacking the russians in warsaw-same thing, they creep up like cowards in packs. thing is the sheer amount of irish kept them quiet when we saw them.would hate to have met them by myself though!

I couldnt stand and watch something like that. I never have been able to, no matter how many there were or how quick something happened.

But I actually meant afterwards....was he ok? Did you go over to see if he needed help?

@ers'[/EMAIL] and that was why he was attacked. Didnt see him doing that myself.

df1985 wrote: »
    was in poznan too and heard about it. you could see the gangs of lads with no colours just walking around in packs. even watch them attacking the russians in warsaw-same thing, she creep up like cowards in packs. thing is the sheer amount of irish kept the quiet when we saw them.would hate to have met them by myself though!

Yeah, I only noticed it because it happened right on front of me. With all the noise there you wouldnt have copped it. Back over on Monday so will be watching out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Yeah I know wqhat you mean, I regularly end up getting between clients in our work carpark. As far as the HSE is concerned well they don't want to know about assuals within the building; though they only happen a few times a year and are thankfully minor.

Thankfully I often have some type of therapeutic relationship with them and can talk them down.

After the last carpark incident we where told again that we should not go outside. One of the lads was saying that's it, he is not going outside again; however, I know like me he can't sit by and watch some poor cnut get battered.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Odysseus wrote: »
    Yeah I know wqhat you mean, I regularly end up getting between clients in our work carpark. As far as the HSE is concerned well they don't want to know about assuals within the building; though they only happen a few times a year and are thankfully minor.

Thankfully I often have some type of therapeutic relationship with them and can talk them down.

After the last carpark incident we where told again that we should not go outside. One of the lads was saying that's it, he is not going outside again; however, I know like me he can't sit by and watch some poor cnut get battered.
    I'm the same, I have a very therapeutic effect on people who are looking for a row. Probably because I'm a big evil looking fecker. It also works well when walking through foreign streets full of hustlers and muggers -had a chuckle going through Cligancourt last week, nobody wanted to sell me nothing for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I saw an Irish gut sucking a bird's tit at the Euros.

That didn't shock me either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I saw an Irish guy sucking a bird's tit at the Euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Good man op. You should know its wrong, and know its something you would rather not see, but I think a lot of people are too sheltered and afraid of things. So when they see real violence or injury (no what they show in ER doctors on the reality channel) they start to go into mental break down.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭paddymayoman

I saw an Irish gut sucking a bird's tit at the Euros.

There was a picture of a croatian guy holding the tits of two croatian women going around ,he had his hands full to say the least.Btw these croation women seem to be good at getting their tits out when it comes to soccer.

Odysseus wrote: »

I just go ape on them....GET THE FCUK OFF HIM YOU PR*CKS!!! and start throwing digs....nobody hits women:rolleyes:

Once ran after a mugger after he stole a ladies handbag, ran down a dark lane, caught up with him...grabbed the hood of his jumper and dragged him to the ground. he was about to get into a car at the end of the lane. I took the purse, got the reg and he got in the car and sped away.

Fcuking eejit was on his own. gards caught him that same day. Heroin addict looking for money for his fix.

My parents gave out to me for that one :p

I just go ape on them....GET THE FCUK OFF HIM YOU PR*CKS!!! and start throwing digs....nobody hits women:rolleyes:

Once ran after a mugger after he stole a ladies handbag, ran down a dark lane, caught up with him...grabbed the hood of his jumper and dragged him to the ground. he was about to get into a car at the end of the lane. I took the purse, got the reg and he got in the car and sped away.

Fcuking eejit was on his own. gards caught him that same day. Heroin addict looking for money for his fix.

My parents gave out to me for that one :p

Could've sold his car!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

I think i'd be shocked if I saw that.

Maybe you've been playing too many video games or listening to heavy metal or something.

What does heavy metal have to do with desensitising people to violence? It's a style of music.

Could've sold his car!

It was a lovely car as well!! Well Im a girl and my take on lovely car is shiny...

The gards came and said whats the reg, i told them the reg..Then they asked what make of car it was.....I guessed ford focus

It was some new model, not a regular one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Very Clockwork Orange. Speaking of which, I was expecting to be freaked by that film, such was its rep. It's so not shocking, extremely tame compared to stuff since, or even from the same time (e.g. Last House On The Left). But I saw it three decades after its release. I don't think violent TV/film/games cause people to do violent stuff (unless they're already nutters and copy stuff) but I think we've definitely become desensitised.

I find the violence in Game Of Thrones too much, however the author has said he often gets criticised/questioned over the sex, but virtually never the violence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

df1985 wrote: »
    was in poznan too and heard about it. you could see the gangs of lads with no colours just walking around in packs. even watch them attacking the russians in warsaw-same thing, they creep up like cowards in packs. thing is the sheer amount of irish kept them quiet when we saw them.would hate to have met them by myself though!

What is it with Eastern Europeans, so aggressive, cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Stinicker wrote: »
    Violence solves "everything".

/takes note

Domo230 wrote: »
    That could have ended so badly for you

Hence my parents not being too happy about it!! I act without thinking....my weakness. Its not the worth thing Ive ever done in fairness!

There was a load of muggings going on in that area at the time, turns out they were all him!

It was a lovely car as well!! Well Im a girl and my take on lovely car is shiny...

The gards came and said whats the reg, i told them the reg..Then they asked what make of car it was.....I guessed ford focus

It was some new model, not a regular one.

Wait, you're a girl and you chased a criminal into a dark alley?

I think I saw CCTV footage of that.............

Wait, you're a girl and you chased a criminal into a dark alley?

Yep. Stupid I know....but I grew up in the area and I knew it lead to a cul d sac, I knew he'd either get into a car or go into a house. Either way I was going to find out which

ETA, Or Id get stabbed and die...

• Advertisement
Advertisement