Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diet Help

Options
  • 13-06-2012 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all!

I feel a bit ridiculous doing this, particularly as I'm a relatively new member, but I've become a little desperate. I've put on nearly a stone in weight over the last few months, and it's killing my confidence. Basically, I'd like to lose that and a bit more, but I don't know how to go about it. I don't think I eat too badly, but I'll include a typical day's meals below.

Here's the basic stuff:
    Female.
    20 years old.
    About 11 and a half stone.
    5ft 8 and a half inches tall.
    Would like to get down to 9 or 9 and a half stone.
    Currently working in an office 9am-5pm, and I'm really tired when I get home so I don't know how to fit in exercise.

Typical day:
    Breakfast: Boiled egg and one slice of toast (thinking of switching to muesli).
    Lunch: Soup and a slice of brown bread in a nearby café.
    Dinner: My father cooks for me since I got back from college, and he's not a great cook- it varies from cheesy pasta bakes to scrambled eggs and noodles! Trying to cook for myself again, though.
    I won't eat anything else for the rest of the day. I drink a lot of water, have cut coffee out, have a glass of milk with dinner, and might have a cup of tea (no sugar) in the evening too.

I apologise for the length of the post, but any help at all would be massively appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

A_DeLacy wrote: »
    Hi all!

Typical day:
    Breakfast: Boiled egg and one slice of toast (thinking of switching to muesli). Stick to 2/3 eggs in the morning either boiled,scrambled, omelet try adding mushrooms,tomatoes, spinach and try cut out the toast. Don't switch to muesli - full of unnecessary sugars imo.

You are eating very little for your lunch ? You need to be adding protein and good fats. Try have a chicken/fish salad with plenty of greens. Again try cut out the bread.

Dinner: My father cooks for me since I got back from college, and he's not a great cook- it varies from cheesy pasta bakes to scrambled eggs and noodles! Trying to cook for myself again, though.
    They are not very satisfying or nutritious dinners. And again where is the protein, good fats, and veg ? You should try some fish,chicken,lean meats with plenty of veg!

I won't eat anything else for the rest of the day. I drink a lot of water, have cut coffee out, have a glass of milk with dinner, and might have a cup of tea (no sugar) in the evening too.

I apologise for the length of the post, but any help at all would be massively appreciated. Thank you in advance!
    Currently working in an office 9am-5pm, and I'm really tired when I get home so I don't know how to fit in exercise.

You have plenty of time to fit exercise in :eek: :eek:
    I'm working an 8-6 job and I manage to do at LEAST an hour of exercise 4-5 days a week, whether it be a run, gym or a class.
    You need to be more committed, dedicated and make time. Try start by even fitting in a walk/jog each evening.
    The reason you have little energy and are really tired is down to your diet, you are eating very little and not eating enough good foods. If you have a proper diet you would have more energy and feel less tired. Exercise also increases energy levels.

If you want to see results you really need to change your diet and start by having 3 proper meals a day based on high protein,good fats and low carbs.

Have a look at threads and advice on here Nutrition & Diet

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭lorrim

Hi A_DeLacy,

I'm in a pretty similar situation as you - decided to lose this weight about 4 weeks ago... I started at 11.5stone (73kg)and at 5ft1 that was way too much. I work mon - fri from 8.30 to 7ish, and by then I'm really tired and could find every excuse under the sun not to exercise. The only way I could realistically do it is before work. So for the past month I've got myself to bed by 10.30, my alarm goes off at 6 and i'm set in the gym by 6.45. If you are determined to lose the weight you will have to move things around and prioritise. My friends are thinking I'm crazy, they don't get it when I don't want to meet for coffee/drinks during the week - I know I have to get home from work, have dinner, do whatever house work and get myself to bed on time.

Diet is a huge part - read the stickies - they are a mind of information. I haven't been counting calories - I know i'd get too obsessed by every bite if i did.... now I eat half a banana on my way to the gym - the other half with my porridge, weekends when I have time i have eggs & spinach for breakfast. Have a snack about 11, some nuts, piece of cheese, some carrot & celery, a sm tin of tuna, sometimes fruit. lunch is usually a salad - uses google, there are some great ideas - today i'm having 3 strawberries and a few pomegrante seeds thrown in with mixed leaves, celery, tomato, peppers & salmon. As I finish work late, i need something about 5ish to keep me going til dinner... And then for dinner it's grilled meat or fish with salad or veg. If I'm really hungry I might add 50g of brown rice.

I'm getting used to it - it's not coming natually to me, but I know I have to do it. Try to ditch the cheesy pasta, noddles - loaded with calories and won't help you. I live alone so it's easy for me to decide what to eat, I have to cook it... Although I've got my dad coming to stay with me for 3 weeks soon, I've told him he can either cook himself or eat what I do - he's looking forward to it, hopefully loosing a few pounds too... Get your dad involved. I bring mu lunch with me to work, it's too easy to be tempted if i don't.

I still go out with friends at the weekend - I watch what I order for dinner - no sauces & without dressings - stay away from the bread basket. If i'm having a drink, I'm having vodka & soda with some fresh lime or 1 glass of red wine with dinner.

I've lost 4.2kgs (9lbs) in the first 4 weeks - my goal weight is 58kg (9st)
    Still some way to go - I'm 68.8kg at the last weigh in - but sticking with it will get me there.... I even managed a 5day holiday in Ibiza in those first 4 weeks without too much damage (I kept the idea of a trim toned version of me for next years holiday in my head to keep me on the straight & narrow).

boards has so much info - keep reading the threads & stickies - it's been a huge help & motivator for me

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ellasommer

A_DeLacy wrote: »
    Hi all!

I feel a bit ridiculous doing this, particularly as I'm a relatively new member, but I've become a little desperate. I've put on nearly a stone in weight over the last few months, and it's killing my confidence. Basically, I'd like to lose that and a bit more, but I don't know how to go about it. I don't think I eat too badly, but I'll include a typical day's meals below.

Here's the basic stuff:
    Female.
    20 years old.
    About 11 and a half stone.
    5ft 8 and a half inches tall.
    Would like to get down to 9 or 9 and a half stone.

Typical day:
    Breakfast: Boiled egg and one slice of toast (thinking of switching to muesli).

Hi im female 25 years old 5ft 7 and currently eating healthy and exercisen, was 12stone now 10st 13lbs put on a quite a bit of weight usually around 10 and a half stone but this time im actaully aiming to get to 10 stone. Do u feel big because your quite tall aswell so u are probably carring the weight well? everyone tells me i dont need to loose any weight at all i dont look big and fat or anything but i have a bit of weight on my upper legs and stomach that i really wanna loose. I have bought a treadmill and am using that 4 - 5 times a week for 40-50 mins plus i have a set of 4 .5 kg weights and i use these for 20mins 3 times a week doing the basic exercises ive found of the net. i seem to be doin well so far this is my 8th week and ive lost 15lbs. do i notice much difference no!! ok so my jeans are a little looser and my face is not as fat but not a great bloody deal, i have cut bread completely out eating wraps or salad instead. for breakfast im having porridge or special k or bolied eggs and in the evenings im eating anything from chicken curry and rice to roast chicken and veg to spag bol to salmon potato n veg to stew to pasta. it seems to be working so far anyway !! i wish u luck anyway , how about getting up earlier in the mornings and going for a 30 min walk before work

• Registered Users Posts: 2 A_DeLacy

Thank you all so much for getting back to me so quickly! All of the information has been really helpful so far :)

Advertisement