Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 noise in Orlagh

Options
  • 13-06-2012 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I am looking at a property in Orlagh which is only about 65 metres (215 feet!) from the M50 over the fence.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience living in this proximity to the M50, either in Orlagh / Knocklyon or anywhere in Dublin. Does the noise have a big impact or is it something you get used to?

Thanks in advance,

Golfchick.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

If you don't hear from anyone at that location, Id suggest visit it 2 or 3 times, day and night and in different weathers if possible to get a sense yourself of the levels of background noise. Ive done it myself with properties close to railways and even though you might not be inside the house youll know it would be quieter again.

In my experience from time in London, people near busy roads, airports, railways etc tend to stop noticing background noise very quickly so if its a house you really like go for it and enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

I live in Knocklyon beside the M50 and yes there is traffic noise but its not excessive...I had major concerns about it as we have the ballycullen road one side, the M50 the other and the firhouse road running in front of us so I was really concerned about the noise. But I have lived on Rathmines road for a number of years and the noise here is by no means as bad as it was there.

you will hear it and if you are used to listening to the trees rustling in the wind or the birds singing or the pitter patter of rain or lying in on sat/sunday listening to silence then your not going to get that near the M50, if the place has a garden you are going to hear it, you cant pretend you cant....

I'm here for the moment but I would not choose to buy here as it is something that over time starts to annoy you, as its non stop even at night, you do get used to it to a degree but when I get the chance we will be moving away to somewhere with less traffic and the noise and pollution that comes with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

I live about two fields away from the Ashbourne by-pass with other property nearer to it than mine. I didn't expect to hear traffic noise at all and was surprised it is so noisy and seems to be worse in wet weather. The noise definitely intereferes with my enjoyment of being outdoors in the garden and is difficult to ignore so I would be very wary of buying anywhere near the m50. You can't double-glaze your garden! Definitely good advice to do your research at all different times and weather before you decide.

Advertisement