Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smartphones for teens??

Options
  • 13-06-2012 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

15 year old daughter is currently using my old Blackberry Curve 8520(which I despised but she loves). She's currently with O2 and prepay and it's all I can do to keep her in credit. With O2 you need to top up by 20 Euros to avail of free txts etc BUT 9.99 comes out of this immediately for the data plan leaving 10.01 which seems to last no length! It was always easy to keep her in credit prior to the 'dataplan' and Blackberry.
    The rest of us are with 3 and we want to change her over to 3. We even have a spare 3 prepay SIM. However the 8520 is not third generation which is a requirement for the 3 prepay SIMs.

Are any of these types of phones worth getting???

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/w007-3-2-touch-screen-dual-sim-dual-network-standby-quadband-gsm-tv-cell-phone-w-wifi-java-31634?item=14

She wants the usual teenage stuff txts, Twitter, Tumblr, Facebook, music.

Her choice would be an iPhone or Blackberry but her budget or ours won't stretch to that.
    She is as most 15 yr old girls impressed with brands but maybe if the phone worked well and looked 'nice/cool' she'd manage.

Any recommendations of phones please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Galaxy S

just a quick search and found one for sale on adverts @ €120

http://www.adverts.ie/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-s/1745443

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Skippie

I think the Samsung Galaxy Mini is a great entry level smartphone. I bough one as a temporary phone and i decided to just keep it because i was so impressed.

It's available on 3 for only 79.99 (prepay)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

A blackberry on Three wont work on Pre Pay as currently Three dont support BlackBerry services on Three pay so that knocks the BlackBerry on the head unless she's switching to bill pay with three.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭kirving

Do you have to go with a BB data plan, or will "normal" data not work?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dont think so. If you look at their shop they dont even list bb as a manufacturer for prepay, where as as soon as you hit billpay they appear.

BB is weird as they use their own sort of proprietary system, I think it dates back to when most people didnt use data and they wanted to push mail. Usually its a specific service with your network.

Oh, yeah:
    What price plans are there for BlackBerry® on Three?
    Bill Pay: You can choose one of our Flex-Max price plans on an 18 or 24 month contract, or a Flex price plan on a 12 month contract.
    Prepay / Flexifix: Sorry, but we don’t have BlackBerry® on these price plans at the moment.
    So why not do a little research to find out which one is right for you. Then go blackberry-picking!

• Advertisement
Advertisement