Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive Call

Options
  • 13-06-2012 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

I hope Levy has made the right call, I'm not filled with confidence that he has but time will tell I guess.

As for H, what can I say, never a genius, never a massiah but I have never enjoyed watching Spurs as much as I have under his management.

In his time at the club I've never seen Spurs win so many game and lose so few
    I've also never seen Spurs score so many and conceed so few.

A very pleasent 3.5 years, but all good things come to an end I suppose.

As for the man himself, I know he's not everyone's cup of tea but I like his old school view of the game, attack attack attack, he's a great football caracter and he has a great sense of humour, never a dull moment with H.

Hope he stays in the game.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Hows a going stranger ?
    Your pal is gone :p

P.S. Im fcuking delighted he's gone. We will grow as a club without him, COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

I hope your right Hatch, but can't see it myself

time will tell....

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭-gilly-09-

THe club has grown under him, so to take the next step will need money and a proven manager. Who can we get? Moyes won't. Hope its not a massive mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

-gilly-09- wrote: »
    THe club has grown under him, so to take the next step will need money and a proven manager. Who can we get? Moyes won't. Hope its not a massive mistake.

Dont hold your breath with Levy holding the purse strings :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

time will tell....
    Neither can I,all I can see is more upheaval just when things were going nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

-gilly-09- wrote: »
    Aye,some people won't be happy until we go back to the mediocrity of the 90s then they will have more to moan about.:confused::confused:

time will tell....

Your right, time will tell... it beats having a manager who laughs and jokes about the fact that he thinks he's walking in to another job, creep.

tippspur wrote: »
    Aye,some people won't be happy until we go back to the mediocrity of the 90s then they will have more to moan about.:confused::confused:

As I have always said, this place is all about opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Your right, time will tell... it beats having a manager who laughs and jokes about the fact that he thinks he's walking in to another job, creep.

Birmingham City maybe for our dear ol england manager 'arry !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

I am just afraid that Levy has made a mistake also. He really only had three attempts to finish in the top four and did it twice. Given the size of the ground and the wages we pay, how many managers could do that and how many of them would come to us. Yes he often infuriated me with slow substitutions etc but I honestly think that we will struggle to get somebody better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Ah well, it was fun while it lasted. Back to the bad old days I fear.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I didn't like him before he game, thought he was the second coming of Jesus for a while but now im glad to see the back of him. The England situation really annoyed me. He just delt with it in his typical 'Arry fasion. little sound bites that sound great on SNN but never really confirm or deny anything.

time to move on. I think its going to get allot worse before it gets any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Delighted he is gone. Let's just hope we can get the right manager in now. We need a relatively young manager who is tactically astute and will be able to build something here.

Pep and Klopp are out of our league and ain't going to happen.

Capello is too old

Martinez and AVB are of the right mould for Spurs in footballing style. Martinez has the better personality but AVB has had more success.

Moyes is a safe pair of hands but too negative for my liking. Same goes for Rafa but would prefer him ahead of Moyes

I'd take a risk on Martinez if it was up to me. Huge potential, knows the league, great with the media, his players can't say enough good things about him, tactically very good and gets his teams playing the the right way at the wrong end of the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Nexus

This is the worst decision by levy yet. Success is built on stability and we had that under harry. He had spurs playing fantastic football and yes we lost out on champs league football due to a few bad results and pretty much a mediocre chelsea having every single god looking after them. The fear i have now is players jumping ship and us getting a ****e manager like Juande Ramos again. I cant believe all the people saying they are delighted as spurs have never done so well as they have under harry. We are heading right back down to mid table mediocrity.... Im absolutely gutted here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Playboy wrote: »
    Delighted he is gone. Let's just hope we can get the right manager in now. We need a relatively young manager who is tactically astute and will be able to build something here.

Capello is too old

Martinez and AVB are of the right mould for Spurs in footballing style. Martinez has the better personality but AVB has had more success.

Moyes is a safe pair of hands but too negative for my liking. Same goes for Rafa but would prefer him ahead of Moyes

I'd take a risk on Martinez if it was up to me. Huge potential, knows the league, great with the media, his players can't say enough good things about him, tactically very good and gets his teams playing the the right way at the wrong end of the league.

Martinez is a step down. He was manager of Wigan when we destroyed them 9-1 a few years ago.

Harry wasn't perfect but got us playing great football. He was the best manager that's been at Spurs for many years. Can't see us getting anyone better as I believe the top names would be out of our reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Levy has to have somebody lined up already - and probably had the wheels in motion for a replacement from the moment Capello left the England job.

My understanding is that Harry wanted a 3 year contract and Levy wanted to give him a rolling 12 month one. If that's the case then there is no reason to say he let him go now in case of further instabillity / speculation towards the end of the coming season - as on a rolling contract that's always going to be there.

Let's see who comes in - then we will now how massive the call is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

I’m gutted he’s gone, played easily the best football under his helm that I can recall.
    We finished - 8th
    4th
    5th
    4th
    We’re never going to finish any higher unless serious investment from abroad came knocking at our door.

Redknapp may rub people up the wrong way at times, me included (England saga). But what he’s achieved in his short spell here should never be forgotten.

My gut tells me this is bad, bad decision made here. Back to the merry go round of managers. Champions League? You're having a laugh. Qualifying for the Europa League will an achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

flyswatter wrote: »
    Playboy wrote: »

Capello is too old

Martinez is a step down. He was manager of Wigan when we destroyed them 9-1 a few years ago.

Harry wasn't perfect but got us playing great football. He was the best manager that's been at Spurs for many years. Can't see us getting anyone better as I believe the top names would be out of our reach.

Harry has has his share of hidings over the years as well. One result doesn't make a manager. Martinez has consistently kept Wigan up on the lowest budget in the PL and more importantly he has done for more than one year without resorting to playing like Stoke or Wolves

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    I’m gutted he’s gone, played easily the best football under his helm that I can recall.
    We finished - 8th
    4th
    5th
    4th
    We’re never going to finish any higher unless serious investment from abroad came knocking at our door.

Sense

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    We finished - 8th
    4th
    5th
    4th

Redknapp may rub people up the wrong way at times, me included (England saga). But what he’s achieved in his short spell here should never be forgotten.

My gut tells me this is bad, bad decision made here. Back to the merry go round of managers. Champions League? You're having a laugh. Qualifying for the Europa League will an achievement.

Lack of investment wasn't the reason the team couldn't win a game between February & April.

TBH of course we could have finished higher in the last 2 seasons, we should have finshed 3rd comfortably this season.

I would shake Arrys and if I met him and say thanks but I believe this is a sound decision in the long term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

Aren't spurs owned by one of the richest men in the world already? Just keeps very quiet about it. Levy is a cute whore, I recon he knows Harry has gotten us as far as he can, if the fa paid for Harry then a bonus. New high profile man in with Harry's man management plus proper training n tactics oh and we have a war chest we didn't want Harry wasting?

In Levy we trust... I hope

Gar

yiddo59 wrote: »
    Sense

Should we not have finished higher in the season gone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

Nexus wrote: »
    This is the worst decision by levy yet. Success is built on stability and we had that under harry. He had spurs playing fantastic football and yes we lost out on champs league football due to a few bad results and pretty much a mediocre chelsea having every single god looking after them. The fear i have now is players jumping ship and us getting a ****e manager like Juande Ramos again. I cant believe all the people saying they are delighted as spurs have never done so well as they have under harry. We are heading right back down to mid table mediocrity.... Im absolutely gutted here.

100% agree with Nexus here. I cannot understand how fans can be delighted with his dismissal. Unless we get a top drawer manager in ( which will nevr happen as we don't pay high wages), the players at Spurs now will move on. There was already talk of VDV, Bale, Ratface, Ade, all going this summer. Do u think they will stay around to be coached by David Moyes? Not a chance.
    With a fair few players leaving, we are heading for a disaster unless we appoint a decent manager who can attract top players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Our golden years are now over (again)

People that wanted harry out have a short memory

Looks like we will lose ade / rafa/ bale and modric

mickman wrote: »
    Our golden years are now over (again)

People that wanted harry out have a short memory

Looks like we will lose ade / rafa/ bale and modric

Short memory is being 10 points up on arsenal , 2-0 up on them with a chance to go 13 points clear and blowing it. Look where all his 'facking talk' on england got him.....his P45

In Levy we Trust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

So if our new manager doesnt finish 3rd will you be calling for his head?
    Anything less than fourth and /or a cup will have to be seen as failure. Huge pressure on the new guy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Nexus

BERBA wrote: »
    Short memory is being 10 points up on arsenal , 2-0 up on them with a chance to go 13 points clear and blowing it. Look where all his 'facking talk' on england got him.....his P45

In Levy we Trust.

no you sir have a short memory. 4 years of dragging our sorry asses up the table. We go on a small bad run and you think he needs to be booted.
    Levy needs to be booted!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

BERBA wrote: »

In Levy we Trust.

The same Levy who would not give us any transfer money in Jan. After getting Pav,Charlie off the wage bill he decided in typical Levy fashion to keep the fees in his pocket rather than reinvesting in the team ( when we were actually up there in a title challenging position).

I wonder will you still be using "In Levy we trust" when half the team leaves this summer and Moyes is manager with no transfer funds. If you don't think this will happen cast your mind back a few seasons when Levy pocketed 50 million ( rough guess) from the sales of Robbie and Berba, and left us with D Bent and F Campbell up front.

Yes we should have got 3rd and I accept that you can make a case for sacking him ( I wouldnt have but can see the case) but unlike some on here my problem is I dont trust Levy to get us an upgrade on Harry! Moyes or God forbid Martinez aren't upgrades!

• Advertisement

The same Levy who would not give us any transfer money in Jan. After getting Pav,Charlie off the wage bill he decided in typical Levy fashion to keep the fees in his pocket rather than reinvesting in the team ( when we were actually up there in a title challenging position).

The same Levy imo who would not give Harry any transfer bobs in Jan because he knew he was gonna get rid in the summer. Big difference. New man will get a big kitty for players because we have spent very little in the past couple of seasons.

Advertisement