Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive Call

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

We spent very little in the past few seasons because ..... thats what Levy does. We are not big spenders. Why do you think he will change all of a sudden?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

We spent very little in the past few seasons because ..... thats what Levy does. We are not big spenders. Why do you think he will change all of a sudden?

He spent 87m season 08/09 , 32m season 09/10 , 18.5m season 10/11 , only 8m season 11/12 ( reckon he wouldnt loosen the purse strings due to the fact we now know he was planning to get rid of harry). I think he'll back the new man with big funds.

PS I'm sick to death of the window being rolled down in that range rover

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

mickman wrote: »
    Our golden years are now over (again)

Why ? Do we not have the same squad we had yesterday ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

BERBA wrote: »
    Short memory is being 10 points up on arsenal , 2-0 up on them with a chance to go 13 points clear and blowing it. Look where all his 'facking talk' on england got him.....his P45

In Levy we Trust.

you just love to hate the man :-)

Less of the anger man. harry was a great manager for us and we had a great 4 years.

beating inter milan at the lane is something that will not be forgotten . I admit that the addiction to the press was really annoying , especially in the last few months and he did dig his own grave with the english job etc but we are in a right bind now.

We will lose players during the summer and the euros will drive the price of good players through the roof

yiddo59 wrote: »
    Yes we should have got 3rd and I accept that you can make a case for sacking him ( I wouldnt have but can see the case) but unlike some on here my problem is I dont trust Levy to get us an upgrade on Harry! Moyes or God forbid Martinez aren't upgrades!

And by all means, I can see the viewpoint of why he should not have been sacked, but it's a tough business, a gamble by Levy maybe, but I'm confident it will work out, I could be wrong.

As for getting a better upgrade, what had Harry won before we got him ? Not much. I'm not saying our new man needs to have won a load of accolades, but I think I'd rather a younger manager who can build something special maybe rather than a capello for example, just my opinion.

• Advertisement

Less of the anger man. harry was a great manager for us and we had a great 4 years.

beating inter milan at the lane is something that will not be forgotten . I admit that the addiction to the press was really annoying , especially in the last few months and he did dig his own grave with the english job etc but we are in a right bind now.

We will lose players during the summer and the euros will drive the price of good players through the roof

Yes we had some great times, I wouldn't deny that, but the times when he sat in front of the cameras making a mockery of the club done it for me.

Sure last week, he was saying the CL wasn't what it was cracked up to be, what planet was he on when he said that ?

but we are in a right bind now.

Don't hate the man , just glad he isnt our manager anymore. I don't believe we are in a bind, i think Levy has someone lined up already and even if modric does go we'll get a lorry load of cash for him. Everyone else will stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Well ...where do we start

As much as i have enjoyed some aspects of the last 4 years (Highlights including Inter Milan, AC milan etc) i have also been totally bemused by some of our games (Arse away, Man City and Man U home this season, Chelski and Pompey in Cup semi finals)

He has shown numerous times whilst he has been in charge that tactically he is not the brightest ... playing Bale all over the place, sticking Modric out of position at times because we did not have the backups.
    Incoming Player transfers depended on 2 things .... EPL experience and old ...

Now we have a squad with 1 striker, no cover on left or right ..bare neccessities at the back .... The next manager has a huge job to correct all this.
    Its been a very short term plan for Harry .... and Harry is in this for himself.
    He was offered a new contract back in february but never signed it as he was expecting the England job ....
    Then he spouts to the media on the day of Levy's mothers funeral about getting a new contract and the club should not have let it go on this long ...disrespectful.

Many cracks were appearing in harry's armour over the last year or so ..he came in a did a great job in steadying the ship when it was required ... and the players that were there already (not harry signings) have achieved what we have done in the last 2-3 years. The same players are here and i do not expect to see major outgoings .. Bale will still be here ... Modric maybe !! but if he is to go then he would have gone whether harry was here or not.

Anyway ..thanks for the previous 4 years and the highlights ..... onwards and upwards Forever Spurs !!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Harry was great for us and will not be forgotten. But like many here i could see his faults, i dont think he actually coached and made any of our players any better, lets not forget he was ready to send Bale off on loan to forrest until Benny got injured. We are pants at set pieces and we never utilised our squad.
    To say we finnished fourth this year was still a great achievment is rubbish. Man Utd, arsenal, chelsea and Liverpool were absolute muck this year and we should have been aimimg much higher.

With the right man and the basis of this squad, the skys the limit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Hatch99 wrote: »
    And by all means, I can see the viewpoint of why he should not have been sacked, but it's a tough business, a gamble by Levy maybe, but I'm confident it will work out, I could be wrong.

As for getting a better upgrade, what had Harry won before we got him ? Not much. I'm not saying our new man needs to have won a load of accolades, but I think I'd rather a younger manager who can build something special maybe rather than a capello for example, just my opinion.

Yeah but Harry has moved us on from where we were when he was appointed so the bar has been raised. Getting a guy just to steady the ship and build for the future isnt needed. We're in the top 4 and need to become a fixture there so I think we need experience and not some young fella making his way in the game or probably even worse someone like Moyes who apparently "deserves" a chance at a bigger club!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

Yeah but Harry has moved us on from where we were when he was appointed so the bar has been raised. Getting a guy just to steady the ship and build for the future isnt needed. We're in the top 4 and need to become a fixture there so I think we need experience and not some young fella making his way in the game or probably even worse someone like Moyes who apparently "deserves" a chance at a bigger club!

But wasn't it someone in that category who got us to that level? IE Someone getting a chance at a bigger club- Harry. Moyes will be fine should he get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

golfball37 wrote: »
    But wasn't it someone in that category who got us to that level? IE Someone getting a chance at a bigger club- Harry. Moyes will be fine should he get it.

Dont agree. Moyes could have done a job to get us to where we are now from where we were in 2008 but I see no reason to believe that he can move us on.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

Harry had his faults tactically, didn't use his squad properly and annoyed us on TV but he spent three full seasons with us and we played great football, finished in the top four twice and reached the last eight of the Champions League. We ended up just a point off third. I would bite your hand off for a manager that could do that at Spurs and we have just left one walk.
    I just find it hard to believe that people are delighted that he is gone. It was hardly his fault that Capello walked and neither is he fully to blame that we blew that lead - surely some of it was outside of his control with players being mentally affected by all the media speculation. I just don't see how can replace him and better that. I agree that Martinez is great for playing good football in the wrong half of he league but that isn't what we are looking for

Wouldn't disagree mate, we need someone to move us to that next level. But Harry wasn't that man. We had such a great chance to finish 3rd and we failed, the manager (yes and some players) failed us. It's gonna be tough to become a fixture there now. Mancs x 2 will strengthen massively and Chelsea are already. 4th will probably be our target unless we buy some stars, which will be harder without the lure of CL football, which we should have got.

We missed a great chance last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Wouldn't disagree mate, we need someone to move us to that next level. But Harry wasn't that man. We had such a great chance to finish 3rd and we failed, the manager (yes and some players) failed us. It's gonna be tough to become a fixture there now. Mancs x 2 will strengthen massively and Chelsea are already. 4th will probably be our target unless we buy some stars, which will be harder without the lure of CL football, which we should have got.

We missed a great chance last season.
    What exactly is the next level?

There's no probably about it, Levy has more or less made it perfectly clear, that whoever is Redknapp'ss successor it's Champions League, or deem the season a failure. That's what I'd call pressure for whoever fills the vacant post.

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    What exactly is the next level?

There's no probably about it, Levy has more or less made it perfectly clear, that whoever is Redknapp'ss successor it's Champions League, or deem the season a failure. That's what I'd call pressure for whoever fills the vacant post.

The next level is being a constant CL qualifier and then eventually challenging for the title. We have been in the CL once. With a better manager imo, we would have finished 3rd, easily.

But it's not a case of finish top 4 or gone for the new manager. This is my whole point. Each season is different. Last season was our best chance in a long time to finish top 3, we failed after being a country mile ahead. Next season will be harder, because the 2 manchester clubs will strengthen again, and Chelsea will spend big, as they already have. Assuming Arsenal don't spend huge, and the same with us, I think we will have to challenge for 4th. Not what I want to be saying, but at the moment, that's how I see it, that could change though depending on what happens between now and the end of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

The next level is being a constant CL qualifier and then eventually challenging for the title. We have been in the CL once. With a better manager imo, we would have finished 3rd, easily.
    QUOTE]

Is this realistic given the circumstances. I am torn here as I did not think that Harry was a good appointment. I really think that I was totally and utterly wrong at that time. How does it sound around the league to supporters of other clubs when Spurs fans are saying that they want rid of him?

Undoubtedly we were once a big club (we beat clubs like Leicester and Burnley in Cup Finals in those days), we slipped down to a lower division and came back up. We were a top-to-mid table side that never really threatened a CL place except for one season when we were unlucky to be hit by a case of food-poisoning. Then we fell away and were bottom of the league after eight games and in dire trouble when we fired the manager and took on this suspect character that had done well with smaller clubs but had no real pedigree at our level. I thought this was a terrible decision but we climbed the league and did fairly well. The next season we continued to improve, never beat the big guys but a win away to Man City put us in the Champion's League for the first time.

The following season was terrible. We fell away again into fifth place althought there were a couple of highlights in the Champion's League like a beating Inter Milan at home and AC Milan away. Only got to the last eight though so no need to get carried away

Last season we were serious contenders (while playing excellent football -even by our high standards) up to February and then circumstances overtook us. Still we would have come third except for a terrible goalkeeping performance by somebody that should have been on our side

We have a small stadium and a small wage bill. Does anybody not agree that we have been punching above our weight. Tradition doesn't matter any more. The likes of Derby County, Nottingham Forest and Blackburn Rovers have won league titles since we have. We were rock bottom and hired a manager to take us out of the mire. He did that and lots more but a high percentage of our supporters are happy that we got rid of him as he can't take us to the next level. Is it realistic to go to the next level with a stadium that holds 36000, a limited wage structure and a lack of huge worldwide support.

I release that I am kind of contradicting myself in saying that i did not want him but i am not afraid to say that I was wrong. I think that he did a great job in the four years. Ok we fell away at the end of this season but how much was his fault and hat percentage was down to the players - Man Utd had the league sewn up but threw it away to their hated rivals so were there similar calls on their forums to get rid of Alex Ferguson (I have no idea as to the answer)

So overall, we got a new manager that led us from bottom to a top half finish in his first year and then followed that with a CL qualification in year two. Then we went to the last eight of the CL as well as a fifth place finish. This was followed by being one of the three league challangers in the month of February while falling away and ending up one point off third. What did we do - fire him!! If his name had been Jose Mourinho or something like that, I'd imagine that he would be still there lapping up our idolation.

Am I mad?? Discuss........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

WHL wrote: »
    QUOTE]

Is this realistic given the circumstances. I am torn here as I did not think that Harry was a good appointment. I really think that I was totally and utterly wrong at that time. How does it sound around the league to supporters of other clubs when Spurs fans are saying that they want rid of him?

Undoubtedly we were once a big club (we beat clubs like Leicester and Burnley in Cup Finals in those days), we slipped down to a lower division and came back up. We were a top-to-mid table side that never really threatened a CL place except for one season when we were unlucky to be hit by a case of food-poisoning. Then we fell away and were bottom of the league after eight games and in dire trouble when we fired the manager and took on this suspect character that had done well with smaller clubs but had no real pedigree at our level. I thought this was a terrible decision but we climbed the league and did fairly well. The next season we continued to improve, never beat the big guys but a win away to Man City put us in the Champion's League for the first time.

The following season was terrible. We fell away again into fifth place althought there were a couple of highlights in the Champion's League like a beating Inter Milan at home and AC Milan away. Only got to the last eight though so no need to get carried away

Last season we were serious contenders (while playing excellent football -even by our high standards) up to February and then circumstances overtook us. Still we would have come third except for a terrible goalkeeping performance by somebody that should have been on our side

We have a small stadium and a small wage bill. Does anybody not agree that we have been punching above our weight. Tradition doesn't matter any more. The likes of Derby County, Nottingham Forest and Blackburn Rovers have won league titles since we have. We were rock bottom and hired a manager to take us out of the mire. He did that and lots more but a high percentage of our supporters are happy that we got rid of him as he can't take us to the next level. Is it realistic to go to the next level with a stadium that holds 36000, a limited wage structure and a lack of huge worldwide support.

I release that I am kind of contradicting myself in saying that i did not want him but i am not afraid to say that I was wrong. I think that he did a great job in the four years. Ok we fell away at the end of this season but how much was his fault and hat percentage was down to the players - Man Utd had the league sewn up but threw it away to their hated rivals so were there similar calls on their forums to get rid of Alex Ferguson (I have no idea as to the answer)

So overall, we got a new manager that led us from bottom to a top half finish in his first year and then followed that with a CL qualification in year two. Then we went to the last eight of the CL as well as a fifth place finish. This was followed by being one of the three league challangers in the month of February while falling away and ending up one point off third. What did we do - fire him!! If his name had been Jose Mourinho or something like that, I'd imagine that he would be still there lapping up our idolation.

That, was like reading my mind! We have punched way above our weight, 3 seasons in the top 5 and i think some have developed delusions of grandeur!
    I fear a huge step backwards, i hope i am wrong, but i honestly feel i will be proved right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

WHL wrote: »

I would thank that twice if I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

Like most fair minded supporters, I'm torn on this one. Harry was a tremendous motivator, freed players to express themselves, and the brand of football that followed was the best since the `980's, when, it shouldn't be forgotten, we were one of the big clubs.
    On the other hand, it seems obvious that levy did not trust Harry in terms of transfer, that Harry's habit of positioning himself through the media would have grated with the chairman, and that the club are at a crossroads.
    Martin Jol was sacked following two fifth places. The bar had been raised. With the training ground ready for the new season, and a clear plan to build a new stadium, the board are moving the club to a new level. If Harry was not regarded as the man to bring the club through on the playing side, now was the time. Not very fair, but Levy has been as cold and ruthless as Harry has been with players that he doesn't feel he needs- Keane, bentley, Pienaar, Corluka, Gomes, none of whom have felt the love.
    It seems as if Levy has decided that AVB is the man. If so, there is a logic to what he is doing. The car crash that was his time at Chelsea may be the making of him. It reminded me of nothing so much as Brian Clough's time at Leeds. He bounced back pretty well, I think we could all agree. In Levy we must trust- we have no choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Where did you see that Levy has decided on AVB?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Tesco Mobile: Paul

Sky Sports reporting heavy money gone on AVB last night to make him strong favourite. AVB had also said he is interested.

This is a good choice if true. Talented young manager who has had his baptism of fire out of the way already. Moyes is not a Spurs manager. Rodgers was the likely successor until LFC nabbed him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

I'd be over the moon if we got AVB.

THFC wrote: »
    I'd be over the moon if we got AVB.

+1 on that , i think he'd attract players to the club as well as being able to hang on to our better ones.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd be delighted with AVB as well. He's a talented young manager, and would be a great move for us imo. Hope the rumours are true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Yeah AVB could be right up our street

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭eoinola

....i see some people are coming out now in Favour of AVB - i posted a good few months ago that it would be nice to see AVB in the hot seat and i was laughed at by some - now that we have europa league etc. to look forward too (mmm) i think the time is right to bring a young manager in with progressive ideas and someone who clearly focus's on more than a big pre match speech to get his team going!

Management Styles and Footballing Styles are clearly changing, stats, tactics, huge preparation on what opposition are about etc. etc.is the way forward not wondering if we will nearly scorner from another untried corner!!! i would rather see spurs try to adopt this change then continuing with old school harry style management which only gets u so far.

Spurs need to get to the next level and harry (who has done a lot) was not going to get us there. I am glad to see Levy has taken decisive action early in the summer rather than reading all about harry hotspurs and not tottenham hotspurs for the next few months. Harry was too lax, took his eye of the prize and became more self absorbed than he was already. AVB would be someone far less outspoken in public, someone with a point to prove and someone with real ambition to succeed at a club in england following the chelsea debacle.

I will also say that Moyes is not the worst option either - diff in alot of ways to AVB but i like his manner, his sense of club etc and honestly Everton have done quite well with him in charge.

Who knows who will be the next manager but the fact remains that there are not many available of a calibre that is needed - interesting time ahead - hopefully its done before the players finish the euros so we have a chance of persuading players to stay and also players to come on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

As has been said .... we have a couple of options

Moyes : Done it regularly with Everton over the last 10 years ..been pretty consistent. May not be everyones cup of tea but you know what you'll be getting.

Martinez: Plays football the right way although not sure whether he can take us forward ..been involved in a lot of relegation battles

AVB: Fantastic record at Porto and a decent record at Chelski despite having to change the way they play and trying to make the team younger (resulted in the ire of Terry,Drogba and Lamplard which signed his death warrant at the club)

Rodgers: Poor record at Watford and Reading ..then took over the team Martinez and Sousa built .... bullet dodged imho

My list would be as follows;

1. AVB
    2. Moyes
    3. Martinez

I think AVB is young enough to try and build a legacy here .... he prefers attacking football and i'm sure he has points to prove ... you don't become a bad manager overnight and he won't have prima donna's like Terry to deal with at Spurs.

It maybe a bit of a gamble ... if the gamble doesn't pay off then i think most people will be looking towards Levy and asking if he know's what he's doing !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Can I just point out to everyone that we profited greatly from Liverpools down fall. As soon as city got their act together it was curtains for us and top four. We got lucky this year in the end. 3 more weeks and we'd have finished 5th again, exactly where Jol had us.

My great fear about Moyes is the fact that the club might be thinking about his frugality added to the fact that we're just about to start a new stadium.

Advertisement