Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cornstarch?? Where do you find it?

Options
  • 13-06-2012 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hello.

I have noticed that several recipes I like the sound of call for cornstarch.

These recipes have come from American sites so was hoping that someone might know where I can buy it?

Or if there is (like there is with so many american products) a European equivalent?

Thanks.

DM :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I buy it in an Asian shop near me. Its about 3euro for a kilo bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Carraig Fhearghais

Cornflour, should be readily available in Ireland & UK

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_starch

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Madame K

I need to watch this thread. There are a myriad of baking needs I have since moving here. I thought corn flour would be a suitable replacement. However, the corn flour I found was too coarse, like cornmeal. I've yet to find anything finer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

They are not the same. Cornflour is ground corn. The entire kernal is used. This would be similar to cornmeal but a much finer consistantcy. Cornstarch is a by product of corn.

That's what I suspected, I ended up using the cornflour, as I would cornmeal back home, to make cornbread. I will search the Asian markets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 DR Milly

Thanks for all the input everyone, wow that was a fast response! LOL

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mirekb

Cornstarch is called cornflour in Europe.

What the americans call cornflour we call cornmeal or maize meal.

I remember the first time I made cornbread I used cornflour as that's what the recipe said and got a big surprise:D - now I use a mix of medium and fine maize meal and it comes out lovely.

Madame K I get it in our local health food shop - they have coarse, medium and fine ground both maize meal and polenta (which works ok in a push)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I've always gotten in really easily in Tesco! They have their own brand which is fine.

I just looked up the tesco cornflour online 'great for gravies and custards'! I've never seen it in store. :( It's good to know I can at least get it on our next tesco delivery order.

The cornflour I have is completely different. It's fine polenta or cornmeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

The only thing I ever use it for is peach cobbler and its great. But you really only use if for the filling. I can't remember if I have ever properly baked with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 DR Milly

Thanks a million. Adding corn flour to the shopping list.

Ta everyone!

DM :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Madame K wrote: »
    I just looked up the tesco cornflour online 'great for gravies and custards'! I've never seen it in store.

Cornflour is in the gravy section in my local tesco, not with the regular flour & baking powder etc where you might expect to find it. It has been in both sections sometimes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 teflonchest

You can get Cornstarch in the local stores near you. It is quite easily available....

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Frainc

checked tescon online, can't find anything called corn starch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Frainc wrote: »
    checked tescon online, can't find anything called corn starch

Its commonly called cornflour in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

huskerdu wrote: »
    Its commonly called cornflour in Ireland

as someone already said on previous page, it is not the same.
    cornflour and cornstarch aren't the same.

Cornflour is made of whole corn, cornstarch is separated from flour.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

ani_mal wrote: »
    as someone already said on previous page, it is not the same.
    cornflour and cornstarch aren't the same.

Cornflour is made of whole corn, cornstarch is separated from flour.

Cornflour is what Europe and Ireland call cornstarch.
    Cornmeal/maize meal is what whole ground corn kernels are called here.
    Cornstarch is what the US calls cornflour its not known here as cornstarch.

Lidl have it in a navy blue box. Gem have it in a blue plastic bag.
    Its widely available and used as a thickening agent in sauces.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭joehayes999

Anyone know where I can get large quantities of this please? I want like 50kg's

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Anyone know where I can get large quantities of this please? I want like 50kg's

If your buying in that amount you'd want to be going to a cash and carry or some sort of restaurant supply store which I'd assume you'd have access to if you want 50kgs of cornstarch.

Cash and carrys are often more expensive than supermarkets. You might be able to get a sealed case of them in a supermarket which could be easier to store & manage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

American from Texas here... "cornstarch" in America is the same "cornflour" you buy to thicken gravies with here in Ireland. Positively absolutely. The exact same stuff. The stuff in the cylindrical cardboard containers. The stuff that powdered custard mix is mostly made of. Bulk quantities are probably available from places that supply commercial bakers. (Whose swimming pool are you planning to make into a non-Newtonian fluid science experiment?)

I've always made my cornbread from the same masa from which I make corn tortillas and tamales; it's a medium-fine nixtamalized yellow corn meal that it is basically impossible to get here. Don't use the fine powdery ground corn polenta, use something in between that and the medium grind if you can find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 ceemgee

DR Milly wrote: »
    Thanks a million. Adding corn flour to the shopping list.

Ta everyone!

DM :D

I use cornflour/starch (white) for so many things-thickening sauces, custard. It is used to make cakes lighter, mixed with regular flour. I use it in cheese fondue. I use it in biscuits as well. It's so versatile!
    But corn OKA maize, (yellow,) is a totally different product.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Sorry to drag up the past - But regardless of what its called where - if I have a recipe that requires cornstarch - If I use the same measurement of cornflour - will it be the same!

ardinn wrote: »
    But regardless of what its called where - if I have a recipe that requires cornstarch - If I use the same measurement of cornflour - will it be the same!
    If a recipe calls for cornstarch you want pure cornstarch, if you buy stuff called "cornflour" here it is likely to be cornstarch, and not floured up corn as the name suggests, it could still be unsuitable ground up corn though. Nowadays I see more US stuff on sale here so you have to be careful, it is one of the few (only?) things I consider the US to do correctly and us incorrectly with regards to labeling/naming. In a health food shop the other day I got stuff labelled as potato flour which I am 99% sure was actually potato starch.

The shop had Redmill brand stuff which is US and are a brand whose nutritional labels I would trust. Like other US brand they still stupidly & infuriatingly refuse to give simple % details though.

http://www.bobsredmill.com/corn-flour.html
    http://www.bobsredmill.com/corn-starch.html

It does show how actual corn starch has very little or no values for protein, fibre & fat, while their corn flour (floured corn) does.

You can see tesco cornflour has very low values for protein/fibre/fat
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=254881569

which suggest it is refined corn starch, and not floured corn.

Advertisement