Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thread-level notices

Options
  • 13-06-2012 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

I've been thinking about this for a while, would be extremely keen on an ability for members to get notices from mods when they open a thread.

Basically, in soccer we do a range of mod notices in the thread, basically outlining thread specific guidelines.

However, they often get missed in the sheer quantity of posts. However, I think the forum would be significantly less hassle if everyone was directed by the system to read them.

Two possible ideas:

A. Members get a notice pop up, like they do for a new PM, whenever there's a new mod notice on the thread if they open it.

B. Members are automatically directed, ala the last post feature, to the mod notice post. The latter would probably be significantly easier to implement.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

I'm wondering if I should punt this one over for a bit more Feedback from the general community - catering to one forum's specific needs isn't really the idea of a feature request. There are existing practices in place (MOD NOTICE IN POST X in the thread title for example), and I know that adding mod notices to the OP is something that's been discussed at length in other places - no harm in giving this idea a larger audience than Site Development offers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭PC CDROM

Pop up messages that benefit the site are a good thing.

Seeing DeVore have to recant on popups on the site....priceless :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Unless you can make a hand come out of the screen and hold up a notice in front of someone's face while another one comes out from behind the screen and strangles them till they acknowledge it then no matter what you do, they won't be read let alone heeded. :)

Such is the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

me likeses.

maybe instead of a pop-up which could be blocked easily by browser settings the mod warning could "float" near the start of the page, whatever page the user opens the thread on ?

Or one of those side-floaty things, a little red tab that glows and when you mouse over it, it slides out with the thread notice? (tacky and would be more likely to be blocked, also possible to be ignored).

or a redirect to a notice about the thread the first time you open it after a notice has been added, click "i agree" or "i have read the notice" to continue to the thread in question. (would have ot be used sparingly by mods though or it'll drive users nuts).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

LoLth wrote: »
    or a redirect to a notice about the thread the first time you open it after a notice has been added, click "i agree" or "i have read the notice" to continue to the thread in question. (would have ot be used sparingly by mods though or it'll drive users nuts).

People will end up treating it like T&Cs. Just clicking the option to allow'em to continue without taking any notice of the notice.

If you don't want people to miss them, link thread warnings in the first post. Most users (myself included), don't know how to get to an individual post within a thread and can't be arsed browsing between pages looking for'em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

People will end up treating it like T&Cs. Just clicking the option to allow'em to continue without taking any notice of the notice.

yes, thats a possibility but it would remove the "I didnt see the warning" defense because they clicked to say they had read it. if they dont read it, then thats their own fault, it should never be an essay, it should just be a note.
    If you don't want people to miss them, link thread warnings in the first post. Most users (myself included), don't know how to get to an individual post within a thread and can't be arsed browsing between pages looking for'em.

and if they click to go to the last page of a thread directly? I do agree that mod warnings buried in the middle of a multi-page thread are too easy to miss though.

Advertisement