Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private adult education.

Options
  • 13-06-2012 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Is there any full time private adult education schools in Ireland?

I'm 24 and i want to go back and get leaving cert.
    I'm willing to pay to enter a private adult education school.
    The local 2 year VEC programme is not suitable for me.

Any advice?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭endacl

iLost wrote: »

Any advice?

Thank you.
    Not that I'm aware of. VECs are the service providers in this regard.

What doesn't suit, out of interest? You'd be with a group of adults, in a similar situation.
    A VEC adult class surely has to beat joining a repeat 6th year in your local secondary school, doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

private adult education schools in Ireland?
    Why not type that into Google instead of on here? If you are looking to go back into education you are going to have to show a bit of drive and initiative.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Any advice?

Thank you.

yes there are lot's of private schools where you can repeat the leaving cert.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

Why not type that into Google instead of on here? If you are looking to go back into education you are going to have to show a bit of drive and initiative.

So Googling conveys drive and initiative necessary to return to education...posting a question on Boards doesn't? Not that we can even assume that the OP hasn't tried other avenues of research anyway.

In answer to the OPs question I don't know of any such schools but I wouldnt be so quick to assume that the Mature & Non-Traditional section of the Education forum is a bad place to look for people in the know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi OP,
    I'm not sure if all private providers take Mature Students onto their full-time programmes but I know that in the past some of them provided specific classes for Matures in areas like Hons Irish for Teaching. Below is a very short list to get you started. Alternatively look at http://qualifax.ie for more info.

Ashfield College: http://www.ashfieldcollege.ie/?page_id=116&gclid=CMK38Z-mzbACFYRO4QodqE_AMA

Insttitute of Education: http://www.ioe.ie/home

Bruce College: http://brucecollege.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

This "advice" is really unhelpful.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 32 iLost

endacl wrote: »
    Not that I'm aware of. VECs are the service providers in this regard.

What doesn't suit, out of interest? You'd be with a group of adults, in a similar situation.
    A VEC adult class surely has to beat joining a repeat 6th year in your local secondary school, doesn't it?
    The reason i don't want to enter a local VEC programme, is because it's free!

I'm a little concerned about the level of teaching at my local VEC school.
    I'm not a snob or anything, but i just don't want to waste 2 years studying with a room full of chavs!
    A friend of mine told me, most of the students are on social welfare & not really committed to learning.

I assumed private adult education schools would have higher quality teaching, and therefore allow me to finish my leaving cert faster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

The reason i don't want to enter a local VEC programme, is because it's free!

I'm a little concerned about the level of teaching at my local VEC school.
    I'm not a snob or anything, but i just don't want to waste 2 years studying with a room full of chavs!
    A friend of mine told me, most of the students are on social welfare & not really committed to learning.

I assumed private adult education schools would have higher quality teaching, and therefore allow me to finish my leaving cert faster?

Wow. I am educated to masters level and currently on social welfare. Im not a chav. Generalising about people because they are on social welfare is immature and nonsensical. I could just as easily generalise about you and what it says about you that at 24 you have no leaving certificate. And Id probably be wrong. Just like you are about people on social welfare.

Dont you think that the people doing the VEC program are people just like you who want to get their leaving cert? Even if they are there for other reasons, disruption will not be tolerated, either by the teachers but more importantly, by the other adults in the class who want to learn - like you!

Private adult education schools may or may not have a higher standard of teaching, but youd be mad to pay for something you can do for free.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

OK, obvious troll is obvious.

iLost, don't post here again.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement