Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade / Replacement Options

Options
  • 13-06-2012 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Current Spec
    CoolerMaster Elite 360 Mini Tower ATX Case
    Corsair 430 Watt CX430 V2 Builder Series 80
    Kingston 8GB DDR3 1600MHz DIMM
    ATI Radeon 7770 HD

ASRock S1155 Intel H61M DDR3 mATX
    Intel Celeron G530 2.4GHz LGA1155 2MB

My ASRock has today decided its had enough, damaged/faulty RAM slots.

So Im wondering with about E150-200 to play with, what options I have for an upgrade inregards to motherboard or motherboard/processor combo?

I use Dabs for parts btw.

Also if info needed, I do play TF2, LFD2 and some COD, BF

Any tips appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Do you mind using ASRock again?
    Item|Price
    ASRock H77M - Socket 1155 - Micro-ATX|€82.95
    Intel Core i3 2120 3.3GHz 3MB S1155|€119.95
    Shipping|FREE
    Total|€202.90
    Komplett are in Dublin and give 2 years warranty plus free delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

is it still in warranty? you should get at least 2 years warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 decca

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    is it still in warranty? you should get at least 2 years warranty.

Yes its still in warranty, and I will return it to dealer/manufacturer. But I cant wait 3-6weeks for replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Do you reckon you will be upgrading again in the future? You could get yourself a Z77 board now (€100ish) and maybe a year down the road, pick up an unlocked "K" CPU (3570K currently a bit over €200).

• Registered Users Posts: 23 decca

Monotype wrote: »
    Do you reckon you will be upgrading again in the future? You could get yourself a Z77 board now (€100ish) and maybe a year down the road, pick up an unlocked "K" CPU (3570K currently a bit over €200).

Yeah been thinking today thats probably the best option. Is this a Z77 you were mentioning/recommending?

http://www.dabs.ie/products/gigabyte-z77m-d3h-s1155-intel-z77-ddr3-matx-800Z.html?refs=4294943887-52230000&src=3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

That doesn't look like a great board. A lot of the lower end ones have no options for changing CPU voltage which is needed for good overclocking. This was something common on motherboards before, disappeared for a while but seems to be making a revival.

As far as I know, the Asrock Z77 Pro4 should be a good choice.
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/asrock-z77-pro-4-s1155-intel-z77-ddr6-atx-80XM.html

If you want to have an mATX again, this MSI looks ok.
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/msi-z77ma-g45-s1155-intel-z77-ddr3-matx-80KW.html
    They list voltage changes for the CPU as an option in the manual so I suppose it can be done. I know it's not a feature of the G43 version of the board.
    This board actually takes two graphics cards at PCI-E 3 x8 so you could run two high end cards in there, which is pretty good considering most motherboards around this price have been cut down here. This actually looks like a very good board for the price on paper, but I'd like if there were some reviews to call on.

Advertisement