Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web design for noobs

Options
  • 13-06-2012 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

If your looking for basic PHP tutorials:

http://phpeasystep.com

http://tizag.com

Tizag also include both CSS and HTML tutorials.

http://w3schools.com

W3Schools is also excellent for JavaScript, CSS and HTML tutorials.

Also a quick search of Google for tutorials is also a great resource!

Also one thing I will warn you about is security. Make sure you trust your hosting provider and that all your code is safe for execution by the server.

Take your time when writing code and relax, it's a learn as you go course so it will take some time to get used to.

I feel the best way to learn is by videos on YouTube. This is how I learned and now I'm a master at it. Look out for the YouTube user thenewboston and the YouTube user phpacademy both are excellent With their tutorials and are very straightforward.

If you need any other help don't hesitate to PM me, I'll be happy to help!

Hope that helps and good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

Lynda.com have a decent starting course for coding, but it's a paid user thing.

thenewboston YouTube channel has 200 videos on beginners PHP - It's a great course, each video teaches you one thing at a time.

W3Schools.com has HTML/HTML5, CSS/CSS3, Javascript, and the list goes on and on! It's a great site, although I personally find videos easier to learn from.

You'll want to start out by learning HTML and CSS. It's really easy to pick up. I believe I originally learnt it from w3schools.com but I'm pretty sure you can find a great set of videos on YouTube for it.

Heres the YouTube channel links:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/phpacademy
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thenewboston

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

It depends what you want your website to do. You might not need to learn up on html, css, php etc. if something like WordPress will do the job for you. If you plan on doing more than 1 website, then learning from the links already posted would be a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

If you want to just do your own website all you really need is html/css.
    Then you can just use a CMS like wordpress annd buy a theme you like. Some themes are much more beginner-friendly though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

If you're just building your own site you really don't need to learn HTML/CSS - it can be useful to know a bit, but it's not essential to building the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Aquila wrote: »
    What advice/help can you give to someone who wants to create their own website?

I used w3schools' HTML and CSS tutorials and Notepad++ to practice on, you would be surprised how quick you pick it up but as others have said take your time and it will come easy enough to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Aquila wrote: »
    What advice/help can you give to someone who wants to create their own website?

Well leading on from the amount of info given, the advice I would give to someone is:
    1. Decide what the website is going to be about: Why do you want to have a website — is it to promote a business, interest group, blog/diary. Who are your target readers/users/buyers — why will bring them to your site rather than other similar sites out there.
    2. Decide how much effort you want to put into learning web-design/development: This can be anywhere from no effort at all (you might just want to promote your content), to using this as the start of a career in it.
    3. Decide how much time you can dedicate to the site: Is this going to be a hobby, updated weekly or monthly? Or are you going to put in a fews hours a day. How will that break down into content/promotion/development.
    4. Decide whether you want to host it under its own domain: Do you want an Irish presence, or global? Would you be happy with something on Google sites/Wordpress.com/Facebook, or do you want a dedicated address for it. Maybe you could start on a free hosting & gauge popularity before putting effort into hosting, etc.

Once you have the answers to those worked out in your own head, this should give you a million, more-specific questions. When you have those, come back to me ;)

Advertisement