Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance - please help

Options
  • 14-06-2012 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey..... a friend of mine is currently renting a place in rathmines...but she is on rent allowance & plus on sickness benifit... her landlord has now said that he is selling the house and it looks like they have 6 weeks to move out. would she be able to carry her allowance amount on to a new property? or if she went for a new rental place that takes rent allowance -would this have to be treated as a new application? your comments would be appreciated as she is really worried plus she has a little child to look for to.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Hey..... a friend of mine is currently renting a place in rathmines...but she is on rent allowance & plus on sickness benifit... her landlord has now said that he is selling the house and it looks like they have 6 weeks to move out. would she be able to carry her allowance amount on to a new property? or if she went for a new rental place that takes rent allowance -would this have to be treated as a new application? your comments would be appreciated as she is really worried plus she has a little child to look for to.

I am not sure re the rent allowance but does your friend have a fix term lease or is she a part 4 tenant?

If she has a fix term lease she cannot be removed from the house until it is up this includes if the landlord want's to sell the house.

If she is part 4 how long has she been living there? Different amounts of notice are required depending on how long she has been there. 6 weeks may not be enough notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭retroactive

Limericks wrote: »
    If she has a fix term lease she cannot be removed from the house until it is up this includes if the landlord want's to sell the house.

Not true. Look at the 2004 Act.

The comment about notice periods is true however.

All landlords are obliged to register their properties. Once registered the PRTB will handle any disputes, so it is out of court. This body is extremely tenant friendly.

Sorry, social welfare isn't my bag but I would strongly advise not leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Not true. Look at the 2004 Act.

It is true. If the landlord wants to sell the house he may but cannot evict the tenants while doing so and if sold the new owners would have to accept the current tenants until the lease was up + notice period. That is so long as rent was being paid and other tenant obligations where being kept.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

at the moment i think the rent allowance limit for single mothers ,with 1 kid ,is 930 per month.
    She should get in touch with threshold ,Focuspoint housing charity,
    give out a list at 1 houses or flats for rent that accept rent allowance.
    The landlord should have given 2 months notice ,to give her time to find a place.
    Focuspoint cafe ,advice cente is second left turn after meeting house square, as you walk , towards the quays, away from o,connell st direction.
    About 2o yards up the street ,on the left .
    if you ring them ,they maybe able to email you page with
    ads for houses for rent that take rent allowance.
    The amount of notice required depends on how long you lived at that
    house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

rent allowance in dublin for her situation has been reduced from 930 to 875 so she will need to find a property within this amount and one that accepts it in the area she requires (best of luck with that in rathmines had to move to the sticks due to the state of the properties within the guidelines that accept RA )

if she finds a place then she needs to move in, go back to her cwo (if the place is still in their area, if not go to the cwo of the area) get the rent allowance forms for the new LL to fill in and bring them back to the CWO explaining that it is a transfer to a new property.....however the CWO will still need to schedule a visit to view the property this should be quick enough depending on how busy they are and their shouldnt really be a break in payment but once in the the CWO she can confirm if their will be or not and if there is then it will be backdated once it comes through.

If like me you have to move out of the county council area altogether then she also needs to move housing list too which is a complete pain in the a***, as I dont want to be on the list I am on now as I am from Rathmines and want to move or get housing there but just can't afford it so my hands are tied and Im stuck miles from anyone I know :(

It is stressful and a lot of tooing and frooing buts it has to be done so rather then dreading it she just needs to get on with it and get all the paper work necessary completed and sent back asap so there is no break in payments thus adding to stress levels

im sure your friend knows how to look for a property that accepts rent allowance, but in case not try daft.ie, under advanced search tick the box that say rent allowance accepted, she wont find many especially in rathmines (she really got lucky) but if she looks at properties that dont say they accept it but dont say that they do either then if she gets a viewing she can always have a word with the LL and see what they say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

You can try for a 2bed house ,or a large flat 2bed .Some places have basement ,or ground level flats, 2bed which are quite large in or close to city centre,eg cabra ,north circular road.
    to get a house at that price level, you,d have to look at areas like coolock,blanchardstown etc
    see

https://www.google.com/search?gcx=w&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=house+for+rent+dublin

http://www.rent.ie/houses-to-let/renting_dublin/north-dublin-city/2_beds/rent_0-900/

theres apartments,
    2bed units here ,under the limit,

unfortunately its not easy to find ones that take rent allowance.

if in doubt ,ring up ask ,before viewing ,ask do you take rent allowance,
    i,m age x , 1child.
    Whether its worth go to a flat ,house viewing and then ask ,
    its risky,could be a waste of time.especially if you are in bad health.
    ie takes an hour to go to coolock from rathmines,2 hours there and back ,
    to be told ,i dont take rent allowance.

you may want to go for a 2bed flat,if you want to stay in,or close to city centre.

Advertisement