Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car service problem- advice please

Options
  • 14-06-2012 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there,

I hope someone can give me some advice. I left my Car in for a service with my usual and generally very good garage. It is a well known operator with many dealerships throughout it the country. On collection I paid 189 for the service which was fine but as I was leaving I thought the glovebox looked odd. I went to open it and found it was jammed shut. I asked one of the mechanics to have a look at it and he couldn't fix it but it was six o'clock and most of the lads were gone home so he suggested I ring back in the morning and sort it out then.

Yesterday I dropped it back to be fixed and was rung today to say the lads had to break the glovebox to open it and the cost of a replacement one is 317 euro. The garage have asked me to pay. 150 of this as they say the lock simply seized up and it is not their fault.

I am absolutely sure the glovebox was working fine when I dropped off the car and don't think I should bear any of the cost. Now going into day 3 of no car and unsure of what my rights are.

Any advice welcome. Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Donkathon

Tcov wrote: »
    Hi there,

I hope someone can give me some advice. I left my Car in for a service with my usual and generally very good garage. It is a well known operator with many dealerships throughout it the country. On collection I paid 189 for the service which was fine but as I was leaving I thought the glovebox looked odd. I went to open it and found it was jammed shut. I asked one of the mechanics to have a look at it and he couldn't fix it but it was six o'clock and most of the lads were gone home so he suggested I ring back in the morning and sort it out then.

Yesterday I dropped it back to be fixed and was rung today to say the lads had to break the glovebox to open it and the cost of a replacement one is 317 euro. The garage have asked me to pay. 150 of this as they say the lock simply seized up and it is not their fault.

I am absolutely sure the glovebox was working fine when I dropped off the car and don't think I should bear any of the cost. Now going into day 3 of no car and unsure of what my rights are.

Any advice welcome. Many Thanks

I can't see how a normal service could have damaged your glove box when they wouldn't have a reason to go near it so it well could be a failed lock

Anyway did you specifically ask them to fix it or just to see what was wrong?

Either way go back in and collect your car and explain that you didn't agree to pay for any work done, it was damaged (might not have been though) while they had it for service and they should pay for it

If they are persistent that they won't tell them to restore the glove box to the way it was and any damage they have done you'll be bringing them to the small claims court

Be insistant that you did not agree to pay for any work on that glove box and if they were going to try charge you for damage they did you obviously wouldn't have agreed

Either way they can't keep your car just go get it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

They should have rang you before damaging something.

I.E. Its the same as giving your mate a set of keys to your house, the door lock doesn't work so he smashes a window to get in and expects you to pay half.

I wouldn't pay a penny.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Donkathon wrote: »
    I can't see how a normal service could have damaged your glove box when they wouldn't have a reason to go near it so it well could be a failed lock ...
    A number of VAG models require that the glove-box be removed to access / change the pollen-filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Donkathon

mathepac wrote: »
    Donkathon wrote: »
    I can't see how a normal service could have damaged your glove box when they wouldn't have a reason to go near it so it well could be a failed lock ...
    A number of VAG models require that the glove-box be removed to access / change the pollen-filter.
    Well then this is obviously the best advise possible,

Find out if your car OP needs access through the glove box for the pollen filter then at least you have a serious argument that they damaged it even if they say they didn't change to filter you still have the arguement that they tried and failed once they damaged the glove box and backed off

Either way once again don't leave yourself without a car because of this situation just go collect it and bring someone with you for moral support if your the non insistent type

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

Hi There,

First off I have to agree that if you diden't agree to pay or get it repaired in the first place then you are not obliged to pay them a penny. I'm surprised they just went and did it off their own bat!!
    I wonder did they try to look for the log book in the glove compartment to update the service details?? Usually the log book is found in here.

Anyway, good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Tcov

Thanks all,

I have a positive update.
    Got a call today to say that the dealership are now willing to cover full cost of replacement and repair. New glovebox not in until next week but I'm just happy to get it all sorted and not have to incur any cost.

Thanks to you all for your advice.

Advertisement