Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lia Fáil attacked.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

senseless really, wonder who has a grudge against the Irish Ancient history?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

I think it was more someones who wanted a piece of the stone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

What's going on with all the historical objects/artifacts being damaged or stolen?

Is this a new thing, or have i just been blind and deaf to it in the past..:confused:

Shrine of St. Manchan relic robbed (Recovered)

Herald Link
    Saturday June 02 2012
    The robbery of the €20m relic is the latest in a series of thefts from churches.
    In March, the preserved heart of the patron saint of Dublin, St Laurence O'Toole, was stolen from Christ Church Cathedral.
    The relic was stored in a heart-shaped wooden box and secured in a small, square iron cage on the wall of a chapel dedicated to his memory.
    Last year, three relics, believed to be fragments of the cross used to crucify Jesus were stolen from Holy Cross Abbey in Co Tipperary.
    Gardai recovered them in January.
    Also in January, a thief stole the container housing the jawbone of St Brigid from St Brigid's Church in Killester, Dublin.
    The reliquary was bolted to the altar. However, it had just been cleaned and so the jawbone was not inside.

What could a heart and a jawbone have of value to anyone? They wouldn't even sell on the black market.. Would they?

I mean, i can understand that people would rob anything, for money, or personal gain of something, but i don't understand the vandalism of this, or the Artifacts (Heart and Jawbone mostly) being stolen..
    I'm not a naive or innocent person, but I honestly don't ever remember hearing of anything like this happening before..

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭joseph dawton

It's hard to know why. If I wanted to chip off a piece for myself I would use a masonry chisel, so that theory seems unlikely to me. Perhaps to create an excuse to fence it off? Perhaps an act of religious hatred? The stone does look rather phallic which might upset certain over-zealous types.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

Allyall wrote: »
    What's going on with all the historical objects/artifacts being damaged or stolen?

Is this a new thing, or have i just been blind and deaf to it in the past..:confused:

Shrine of St. Manchan relic robbed (Recovered)

Herald Link

What could a heart and a jawbone have of value to anyone? They wouldn't even sell on the black market.. Would they?

I mean, i can understand that people would rob anything, for money, or personal gain of something, but i don't understand the vandalism of this, or the Artifacts (Heart and Jawbone mostly) being stolen..
    I'm not a naive or innocent person, but I honestly don't ever remember hearing of anything like this happening before..

Mentally unbalanced witch?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 briocht

How could people be so selfish?! Makes me so angry.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

This is the same kind of crap that tourists pull at Delphi, taking pieces of the site away as souvenirs. It's mind blowingly selfish, not to mention stupid. Just goes to show how little respect people have for their history.

Advertisement