Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 7 permanently display a Mac shared folder

Options
  • 14-06-2012 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm having a nightmare with this at the moment. I'm trying to permanently display my Mac shared folder on my Windows 7.

So I've followed all the tutorials online and got it working when I go to Run on my Windows 7 and type \\IP address of mac.

This will give me a new device under network in start/computer called "IP address of Mac". This is great and I can access and copy files etc between the computers.

However when I close the window and open a new one the device has disappeared. I have to go to run and type \\IP address of mac again. Is there a way to permanently display the Mac shared folder on my Windows 7?

Any help much appreciated.

When I get this done I'll have a go at going the other way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Start up windows file explorer.
    If there is no file menu then display it be clicking
    "Organise\Layout\Menu Bar"

Now in the menu bar click 'Tools' \ 'Map Network Drive'
    In the resulting dialog. choose a drive letter, put in the \\ip address\share
    Make sure 'Reconnect at login' is ticked.

If the network device uses a ifferent username and password, then select 'connect using different credentials'
    Click Finish

Put in the credentials and save them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

But remember if the IP address of the Mac changes then it would need to be updated on the Network Drive in Windows 7.

Best to assign a static IP address to the Mac to avoid this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Thanks for your replies lads. I didn't get a chance to look at it last night but I will later on.

ressem wrote: »
    Start up windows file explorer.
    If there is no file menu then display it be clicking
    "Organise\Layout\Menu Bar"

Now in the menu bar click 'Tools' \ 'Map Network Drive'
    In the resulting dialog. choose a drive letter, put in the \\ip address\share
    Make sure 'Reconnect at login' is ticked.

If the network device uses a ifferent username and password, then select 'connect using different credentials'
    Click Finish

Put in the credentials and save them.

Can't map that drive for some reason. Keeps saying Windows cannot access \\IP address\share.

I'm a bit confused with the credentials. When I tick the "Connect using different credentials" and try finish I get a screen that has my laptop account and asks for a password.

Below that is a use another account button. I've hit that and put in my Mac username and password but I still get the "Windows cannot access \\IP address\share" message.

I can still access the Mac by hitting Windows button and R and putting in \\IP address.

Any suggestions?

Ok I was able to do it eventually.

I pressed Winows+R and type \\ IP address. This allowed me view the Mac's folders. Once there I was able to right click the drive and hit map network drive. The mapped address was \\ IP address\name of shared folder.

I'm now guessing that was what you meant by 'share' i.e. the folder I wanted to share's name.

My problem now is I want to stop anyone on my Winwods machine accessing the whole Mac by typing \\ IP address in the Run screen. On the Mac I've gone into System Preferences/Sharing and under File sharing I've removed everything except the folder I want to share. But I can still see it all on the Windows machine.

Has it anything to do with the fact that on the Mac under "Sharing/Options/Share files and folders using SMB" I have to tick the box for my Mac user. Does this mean everything will be shared?

Any help much appreciated.

• Advertisement

Anyone?

Also, the transfer from windows to Mac is very slow at 2.5 Mbps or so which is useless. Think I may just invest in a NAS

Advertisement