Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips

• 14-06-2012 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I was told an hour ago that my grandmother had passed away:(

Its the night before my business exam and I was optimistic for it and I really don't want 2 mess it up but I feel this bereavement could throw me off my concentration and my mind might just end up blank.

Has anyone any tips or experiences that might be able 2 help me in this situation? Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

smithy77 wrote: »
    I was told an hour ago that my grandmother had passed away:(

Its the night before my business exam and I was optimistic for it and I really don't want 2 mess it up but I feel this bereavement could throw me off my concentration and my mind might just end up blank.

Has anyone any tips or experiences that might be able 2 help me in this situation? Thank you.

Well firstly, I'm sorry for your loss.

Something similar happened during my mocks, caused me to perform rather badly. Unfortunately it was only towards my last few exams that I had found some coping mechanisms.

Now firstly, think all about you. It'll feel selfish, it'll feel wrong, but just allow yourself to be completely self absorbed until your exams end. Think about the grades you want, and try to get the right amount of rest, food etc to help you function at your best.

For tomorrows exam, I'd suggest you try to sleep now. Do some breathing exercises, make some herbal tea, do something that you know will help you fall asleep quicker. During the exam, just try to focus solely in business. I know it sounds hard, but it does help.

If you have anymore exams, I'd suggest giving yourself a certain amount of time each day to deal with your loss. I do this whenever I'm stressed or upset with something. I allocate 20 minutes a day just to think about all of my worries, and once that's times up, I stop. It's actually a lot easier than it sounds.

Also tomorrow I'd recommend having a really nutritious but also tasty breakfast. I have porridge most morning nowadays, and I hate it. On mornings were I'm feeling crap I'll also have something I like, like a mandarin. You'd be shocked at how food you like can improve you're mood.

I don't know if any of that helped, but I hope it did. Good luck OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭smithy77

Well firstly, I'm sorry for your loss.

Something similar happened during my mocks, caused me to perform rather badly. Unfortunately it was only towards my last few exams that I had found some coping mechanisms.

Now firstly, think all about you. It'll feel selfish, it'll feel wrong, but just allow yourself to be completely self absorbed until your exams end. Think about the grades you want, and try to get the right amount of rest, food etc to help you function at your best.

For tomorrows exam, I'd suggest you try to sleep now. Do some breathing exercises, make some herbal tea, do something that you know will help you fall asleep quicker. During the exam, just try to focus solely in business. I know it sounds hard, but it does help.

If you have anymore exams, I'd suggest giving yourself a certain amount of time each day to deal with your loss. I do this whenever I'm stressed or upset with something. I allocate 20 minutes a day just to think about all of my worries, and once that's times up, I stop. It's actually a lot easier than it sounds.

Also tomorrow I'd recommend having a really nutritious but also tasty breakfast. I have porridge most morning nowadays, and I hate it. On mornings were I'm feeling crap I'll also have something I like, like a mandarin. You'd be shocked at how food you like can improve you're mood.

I don't know if any of that helped, but I hope it did. Good luck OP.

That has helped immensely, you couldn't of put it any better. I will heed your advice and try to concentrate on my exam tomorrow and also for accounting and ag science. Thanks fizzyorange.

Advertisement