Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCI ad on YouTube - advertising fail, anyone?

• 14-06-2012 12:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

Don't think we're allowed to embed youtube vids on this forum so here's a link

This ad is now airing as a pre-ad for many videos on YouTube (the proliferation of such ads I fear is going to kill youtube completely, making it an incredibly nasty viewing experience IMO) and I have to say I've never see nanything quite so off putting.

I'm not sure what it is about the ad that makes my skin crawl. Maybe it's because it seems so desperate to get people to like it, maybe it's the incredibly fake smile of the narrator especially in the last frame which makes one seriously question the veracity of the claims she's making, maybe it's the garish graphics.... I'm not sure.

The funny thing is I know people in NCI and from what I've heard it's actually a nice college to go to, most people I know there really enjoy it.
    Is this an advertising fail or am I the only one who just gets an immensely bad vibe from it? As I say I'm not sure what it is, I don't think it's the content of what she's saying (although it is all fairly generic, recycled slogans that every college in the country uses, "I want to succeed") it's just something about the delivery.

Anyone else find this ad a bit horrific, or am I just tired and completely overreacting? I found the "chaos sweeps the globe" campaign on YouTube slightly annoying when it was around, but this one for some reason really irritates the sh!te out of me :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I cant say ive ever watched an ad on youtube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

First thing that came to my mind was:

"I definitely would!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

MrStuffins wrote: »
    First thing that came to my mind was:

"I definitely would!!"

Oh I mean you would, yeah, no question about that ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

That ads been on the go a while now. I can't say I've ever really given it much thought. You might be over analyzing it just a tad OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

There are ads on YouTube?

BTW, you can embed YT videos in here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

El Weirdo wrote: »
    There are ads on YouTube?

Yes. There are some people still using IE to browse the web apparently.....how quaint.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

I'm in that ad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Kurz

As much as i hate ads, i would like to recommend adblock plus to the op. Youtube instantly becomes adless like the old days. And it gets rids of the ads from rte player and all those. BANG! And the ads are gone! as the great Barry Scott once said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

youtube is class. The biggest jukebox in da world.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Firefox11 wrote: »
    Yes. There are some people still using IE to browse the web apparently.....how quaint.:D

but I use Firefox and I see ads. Am I doing something wrong?:(

• Advertisement

but I use Firefox and I see ads. Am I doing something wrong?:(

Ads on the internet drive me nuts!!

Almost as nuts are the prices at Bill's Discount Furniture Store!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

I like to watch advertising videos on youtube, but hate when they show an advert before they load the video!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭superluck

Rip off college sponsored by FF cronies.

You may as well wipe your ass with some of these college diplomas and degrees.

I'd never judge a man or woman based on their qualifications, never.

superluck wrote: »
    Rip off college sponsored by FF cronies.

You may as well wipe your ass with some of these college diplomas and degrees.

I'd never judge a man or woman based on their qualifications, never.

Except for whan they have an NCI qualification apparently!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

It has a certain Borg collective conciousness vibe to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Kurz wrote: »
    As much as i hate ads, i would like to recommend adblock plus to the op. Youtube instantly becomes adless like the old days. And it gets rids of the ads from rte player and all those. BANG! And the ads are gone! as the great Barry Scott once said.

I just done that there, Genius:pac: Life is so much easier now:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that advert...

Advertisement