Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Noise in Blackrock

Options
  • 14-06-2012 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Did anybody hear the strange noise in Blackrock village (may not be isolated to just that area) at 2 am on Wednesday June 13th? It lasted for about 20/30 mins and then stopped. It then started again at around 4.30 am for about 15 mins.

It sounded like an alarm but it was a constant noise. some neighbours were outside listening to it too but nobody could figure out what it was. and it sounded the exact same as the sound recorded in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-17B7tS5bVs

anybody got any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

The 13th was had seriously good groundwave short DX conditions, I was on radio most of the afternoon to nearly 3.00am.

Sometime after midnight, I did not note it in my log but comms fell out with a similar noise, I thought some local was blasting us with a frequency generator, which does happen, and then it passed and we got on with the radio fun.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

That's a very spooky noise :eek:

Didn't hear it in Douglas....

• Registered Users Posts: 9 roshambo

it all seems very strange. noise was very freaky but maybe it was just an alarm of some sort. yet alarms alarms "ring".

inteeesting that the radio went out too. thought more people would have heard this though seeing is it went on for so long...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Maybe the ships that berth down in the Lee that run their large diesel engines are causing various things like metal fences to resonate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Do you live near a railway line, maybe CIE were doing maintenance, something like this?

Those rail grinders make a god-awful amount of noise and can be heard for bloody miles!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

This was the cause of your 'Strange Noise'.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZIUt0EwRb0&feature=relmfu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

Im not living in Blackrock, but i live at a place overlooking city and in the night i hear if firebrigade is going to somewhere even tho it might be very far from my house and i also hear noise from Marquee and even city centre. Depends what way the wind is blowing. I also hear the train announcement 'ding-dong' voice through the loudspeakers if the wind is to my way.

That night that you mention i remember hearing that sound, but didnt give it much thought.

I remember i did think for a moment: "jesus, screetching trains at 2am, whats next", "....hold on a sec, there is no trains at that time of night""...oh well, must be today for some reason". I just closed the window as i was sure that was that and the noise was a bit annoying as i watched tv and didnt want to put it any louder to wake others.

Now reading that thread im a bit... umm baffled over what it was then.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭starch4ser

Maybe it was the banshee? I heard she hangs around the village the odd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Paul S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

It may have been coming from ESB Marina Power Station.

During various maintenance cycles they can make some pretty weird noises down there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement