Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 5 Players At Each Position In The NBA

Options
  • 14-06-2012 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Thought this would be an interesting thread to have to create some discussion inbetween the NBA Finals games.

Who would you currently have as the top 5 best players for each position, that currently plays in the NBA?

My picks:

PG's:

1) D Rose
    2) Paul
    3) Williams
    4) Rondo
    5) Westbrook

SG's:

1) Kobe
    2) Wade
    3) Johnson
    4) Ellis
    5) Harden/Ginobli

SF's:

1) LeBron
    2) Durant
    3) Anthony
    4) Gay
    5) Deng

PF's:

1) Love
    2) Nowitzki
    3) P Gasol
    4) Aldrige
    5) Griffin

C's:

1) Howard
    2) Bynum
    3) Jefferson
    4) Gortat
    5) Cousins

Overall:

The point guards were the easiest to pick for me but probably the hardest to separate. I suppose you could genuinely make a case for most of the 5 to be in any of the ranking positions from 1-5.

Shooting guards were the hardest to pick. After Kobe and Wade there's a big difference in quality. I had to fit Harden and Ginobli in there somewhere, both excellent 6th men, although I'm sure some will think that I should have a starter ahead of them.

Small forwards, LeBron, Durant and Melo are far ahead as the top 3. Perhaps Iguodala and Pierce are unlucky to miss out here, although I love Deng and feel he deserves recognition. He plays more minutes than anyone in the NBA and his energy is huge.

Power forwards, perhaps David Lee and Josh Smith could have good arguments to be included somewhere but I'm pretty happy with my 5 here.

As for centers, Howard and Bynum are miles ahead of anyone in the league. I think I've got my 5 pretty much spot on here, I'd have M Gasol just behind Cousins in the pecking order. There's little or nothing between Gortat, Gasol and Cousins IMO.

So, there's my selections. I look forward to the criticism and abuse :pac:

Who are your picks?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Point guard is the toughest to decide IMO. Could be different for everyone.

Point Guards.
    1. Paul
    2. Rose.
    3. Rondo.
    4. Westbrook.
    5. Nash

I think Chris Paul is a better overall player then Rose, very close though. Rondo is the best passer in the league and is slightly ahead of Westbrook. I don't have D. Will in my list cause I think the move to New Jersey has really shown his true lack of quality. Nash is simply amazing given his age.

Shooting Guards.
    1. Bryant.
    2. Wade.
    3. Gordan Hayward.
    4. Johnson.
    5. Ginobli

Bryant and wade are clearly the top two names. I find this position has a big lack of depth in terms of marquee players. I love Hayward and think he will be a star in a few years. Joe Johnson was great before he got his max contract and has really gone downhill since, hes shown that he can still perform on occasion though. Ginobli is a top 5 player for sure. The league needs to get some new talent in this position. I don't buy James Harden at the moment. Reminds me of Leandro Barbosa a few years ago for Phoenix.

Small Forwards.
    1. James.
    2. Durant.
    3. Gay.
    4. Anthony.
    5. Pierce.

The top two players in the league obviously get the top two places. I'm a big fan of Rudy Gay, Memphis is only a player or two away from a superb team. Melo has to improve next year but he's still one of the best around. Pierce just edges out Deng and Granger.

Power Forward.
    1. Love
    2. P. Gasol.
    3. Dirk.
    4. Griffin.
    5. Duncan

Love has it all, the rebounding and scoring ability. His numbers are unreal. Gasol is a great guy who was the no. 2 player behind one of the best players of all time with the lakers. Dirk is aging and won't be around for much longer but is still playing at an elite level. The same for Duncan. Griffin has his explosive moments, he'd be higher on this list of he could just be more consistent.

Center.
    1. Howard
    2. Bynum.
    3. Gortat.
    4. M. Gasol
    5. Cousins.

Howard and Bynum are way above the rest. Gortat spent a few years as backup for DH in Orlando and really learned how to play the position. Deserves much more recognition. Mark Gasol really stepped out from under his big brothers shadow making the all star team this year. Demarcus is a good player with a bad attitude, hopefully he can get that sorted out.
    Honorable mention to Roy Hibbert who had a fantastic year with the Pacers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Point Guard
    1. Rondo
    2. Rose
    3. Paul
    4. Williams
    5. Lawson

Shooting Guard
    1. Kobe Bryant
    2. Dwayne Wade
    3. James Harden
    4. Manu Ginobli
    5. Eric Gordon

Small Forward
    1. LeBron James
    2. Kevin Durant
    3. Carmelo Anthony
    4. Paul Pierce
    5. Andre Igoudala

Power Forward
    1. Kevin Love
    2. Serge Ibaka
    3. Lamarcus Aldridge
    4. Blake Griffin
    5. Paul Milsap

Center
    1. Dwight Howard
    2. Andrew Bynum
    3. Roy Hibbert
    4. Al Jefferson
    5. Al Horford

Can't believe Roy Hibbert didn't make either of your top 5s. Improved so much this year and I was surprised he wasn't in the running for most improved player.

They were all easy to think of apart from shooting guard. Shows the lack of talent at the two guard in the league at the moment whereas the point guard position is flourishing. I picked 5 pgs and left out easily 3 or 4 more top class guards.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Point Guard

Can't believe Roy Hibbert didn't make either of your top 5s. Improved so much this year and I was surprised he wasn't in the running for most improved player..

He improved but he's still just outside a top 5 center, he probably will be next year. Hes the second best big man on his team behind David West. The trouble with him is that he tends to get overrated. He only made the all star team because the East is terrible in terms of center.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

He improved but he's still just outside a top 5 center, he probably will be next year. Hes the second best big man on his team behind David West. The trouble with him is that he tends to get overrated. He only made the all star team because the East is terrible in terms of center.
    To say he's worse than David West is harsh. He struggles to break 35 mins a game due to his asthma which leads to him slowing down by the 4th, but he has learnt to use his size and be more dominant this season. The Pacers did not utilise his size enough in the paint against a small Heat team. In the one game they did (game 3), he owned them.

He averaged a double double this season and I expect him to improve next year again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Mara Ashy Fish

Point Guard
    1. Rose
    2. Rondo
    3. Paul
    4. Parker
    5. williams

i think westbrook would be a top 5 sg but i cant put him up there as a pg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Point Guards
    1. Rondo
    2. Rose
    3. Westbrook
    4. Williams
    5. Paul

Shooting Guards
    1. Kobe
    2. Dwayne Wade
    3. Ginobili
    4. Ellis
    5. Can't think of a 5th!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Borisss

killwill wrote: »
    Point Guards
    1. Rondo
    2. Rose
    3. Westbrook
    4. Williams
    5. Paul

Jesus.

Not even going to play the game now.

Borisss wrote: »
    killwill wrote: »
    Point Guards
    1. Rondo
    2. Rose
    3. Westbrook
    4. Williams
    5. Paul

Jesus.

Not even going to play the game now.

What? You have an issue with me picking CP3 as a Top 5 PG but not with everybody else that picked him?

And the sarcasm? Lowest form of wit IMO.
    If you have nothing constructive to say why bother say anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Borisss

The fact you have him at 5, and that Parker gets mentioned, what once? is just too bizarre for me to continue.

Enjoy.

Borisss wrote: »
    The fact you have him at 5, and that Parker gets mentioned, what once? is just too bizarre for me to continue.

Enjoy.
    I named MY top 5 as requested by the OP. Nowhere does it say in order of prefrence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

I think P. Gasol is being overrated here. My top 5 PFs would be:

Love
    Dirk
    Garnett
    Griffin
    Bosh

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jamie619

Point guard-
    1.rose
    2.Cp3
    3.rondo
    4.dwill
    5.westbrook

Shooting guard-
    1.Kobe
    2.Dwayne Wade
    3.andre iguodala(really underated, great defender)can play small foward
    4.joe johnson
    5.James Harden

Small Foward-
    1. lebron
    2. durantala
    3. melo
    4. pierce
    5. gay

Power foward-
    1.love
    2.aldridge
    3.dirk
    4.bosh
    5.griffin

center-
    1. d12
    2. bynum
    3. chandler
    4. marc gasol
    5. hibbert

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Point Guard :

1. D.Rose
    2. C. Paul
    3. R.Rondo
    4. D. Williams.
    5. R. Westbrook

Honourable mention -

T.Parker

Shooting guard :

1. Kobe
    2. D. Wade
    3. M. Ginobili
    4. K. Martin
    5. A. Iguodala

Honourable mention -

J. Harden
    M. Ellis

Small Forward
    1. Lebron
    2. K.D
    3. Melo
    4. P. Pierce
    5. R. Gay

Power Forward

1. K. Love
    2. Dirk
    3. C. Bosh
    4. L. Aldridge
    5. B. Griffen

Honourable mention-
    P. Gasol

Centre
    1. D. Howard
    2. A. Bynum
    3. T. Chandler
    4. D.Cousins
    5. R. Hibbert

Honourable mention :

M. Gasol
    M. Gortat

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Mara Ashy Fish

i think rondo needs to get a 3 point shot and consistant free throwing (i think his 2 is underrated) to be considered the top pg in the nba but boy is he fun to watch the most entertaining passer of the ball since magic johnson in my opinion

Advertisement